Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DT 350 front hub end caps
  • mjsmke

First ride on some new wheels and after 25 miles I thought the front rotor was rubbing. I checked and it wasn’t, but the front wheel was making a very slight rubbing sound. Removed the wheel and the bearings are smooth, Maxxle fine etc. Back in the forks (Selcof Rigid) and I can hear the rubbing sound again. Not rubbing enough to stop the wheel but it just seems odd.

I have 350 hubs on 3 bikes and noticed the end caps on all front hubs have a little play that goes once the Maxxle is tightened up.

Could it just be the end caps rubbing on something if not perfectly positioned?

mjsmke

I found the cause of the noise. Took the end caps off and I could see there was some rubbing on the inside of the metal retaining cover.

This part

I put little grease in there and put everything back and it is a little better but can still hear it. The parts fit together very closely so i’m guessing any slight rubbing will wear in? Or can I get a plastic ones?

mjsmke

Another update (sorry). But after some more tinkering I found the issue.

My thru axle, like many others, is thinner in the middle. 15mm at either end and 13mm in the middle. When in the fork, there is only about 1cm of axle that is 15mm before it goes down to 13mm. So when the bike is on the floor and the thru axle rests on the main body of the hub, the main part of the hub with the bearings is actually about 1mm higher then the end caps. This is causing them to rub on the retaining covers.

I removed the axle and wrapped some tape in the middle to make more the 13mm part 15mm. Problem now solved, but still ordered another thru axle that has much less of a thinner part in the middle.

mjsmke

Axle not available now. Anyone know where I can buy a 158mm Thru axle that doesn’t go thinner in the middle. 15mm 1.5mm pitch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DT 350 front hub end caps’ is closed to new replies.