Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dry skin
  • PrinceJohn

Hi all, I’m cycling frequently in the colder weather and I’ve noticed this winter the skin on my face is drier than ever before. I use a moisturiser after showering but I’m wondering if I should be using it more frequently? Does anyone have any advice they can offer?

Thanks!

z1ppy

I currently struggling with the back of my hands, so keep stealing her indoors stuff… keep applying till it feels better, can’t hurt can it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Colder showers if you are currently taking hot ones. Luke warm if you can bare it.

As for moisturiser more is usually better as long as it isn’t full of other stuff

Tracey

Had good results from using My Trusty products

mcnultycop

As an eczema sufferer, what works for some doesn’t work for others.  This current cold spell is terrible for my skin, the cold then returning into the hot house/office is the worst bit.

I use Dermol 500 as a substitute for shower gel and moisturise regularly with Aveeno; this works for me.

jamesoz

I’ve had to cut back on riding and showers to a maximum of every other day. My eyes were starting to look a bit Davros and my hands are worse.

TheGingerOne

The backs of my hands and knuckles in particular are cracking and bleeding on their own as they have suffered so badly this past week from commuting (even with gloves on).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I suffer from dry itchy skin in the winter, usually get the odd eczema spots on my calves and/or tops of feet. use oilatum after shower/bath and some shower gel from Holland and Baretts  Dr Organics is good (try Aloe Vera), I’m trying Dead Sea Spa Magik at the moment, seems to be working quite well.

I would have thought you should be using a barrier cream when cycling, but I’m not a doc

DezB
    Free Member

struggling with the back of my hands

For hands get some Body Shop Hemp hand protector. Was recommended to me by a fisherman. Really good stuff. You get used to the smell 🙂

http://amzn.eu/eNIigx4

I’m not one to spend upwards of a tenner on “beauty products”, but I wouldn’t be without this stuff! Lasts well though, cos you don’t need much of it.

(They do a face one as well, but I don’t like moisturing things on my face (apart from shave balm stuff), so don’t use it.)

Esme
    Free Member

The hospital prescribes Aveeno cream for my mum’s dry cracked skin (side effect of chemo), as suggested by mcnulty cop. It’s also available to buy in supermarkets.

As a general hand cream, Norwegian Formula is very effective, so perhaps try the lotion or balm on your face (if it’s not too stinky)?

kayak23

This stuff from Screwfix is really effective. I get splits and some sort of dermatitis. If I keep up with this it helps a lot.

MoreCashThanDash

Something popped up on my Facebook feed earlier this week saying Cycling Weekly had recommended some Weleda skincare product as the best moisturiser for cyclists. Stuck in my head as they are a local company and a local rider told me about it a couple of years ago.

My Google Fu is weak as I can’t find it now…

jimjam
    Free Member

This stuff from Screwfix is really effective.

Yeah but what if all the big rough tough tradies in the queue laugh ?

petefromearth

O’Keefes +1

They’re already laughing at the pencil behind my ear and buying lengths of wood longer than my car

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cetraben cream works for me for face and body. Neutrogena fast absorbing hand cream limits the splits in my fingers and thumbs.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Norwegian formula works for me,

jamesoz

I doubt it, being as Screwfix never seem to have gloves larger than a size nine in stock any  tradie that only goes there has tiny office dweller hands or uses cream.

Gloves never used to be a thing for all site work unless a brickie or it was cold. I wish it had been, my hands are a mess.

hodgynd
    Free Member

E45 cream is as good as anything if used regularly ..

rega
    Free Member

Weleda – Skin Food is really good.

flannol
    Free Member

Drink more water

Get more nutrients in your diet, I prefer green smoothies as I’d rather not eat bags of dark leafy greens, but they go down without much effort in a smoothie!

Only time I’ve ever had dry skin was if I my body wasn’t getting adequate nutrients. And it becomes remarkably apparent in my skin. Your skin is an organ and therefor its health is a reflection of ‘overall health’. Absorbing b*** chemicals in to it to make it ‘feel’ and ‘look’ not problematic is not how you fix an underlying issue.

hels
    Free Member

If you don’t mind buying lady products Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (skin protectant) is the business.  I used to get very chapped skin on my face when I trained on the road loads, the wind rips it to bits.  Yes drink more water and less dairy but that won’t entirely help no matter what some pious goop clean-eating fans tell you.

This stuff works great, protects the skin when you are out and fixes the worst bits overnight.

john_l
    Free Member

Personally (and it is definitely a personal thing), I can’t use any creams  or products that contain perfumes  – that Arden cream contains citral and citronell, both of which I’m allergic to. And that’s the problem with problem skin, what works really well for some people irritates the crap out of others. So trial and error is key.

Would definitely agree about the lukewarm shower/bath thing though, too hot or cold encourages the skin to over produce histamines, which is what cause the redness.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Lush Handy Gurugu is the only moisturiser to have helped my dry hands this winter. It’s not for the face though, apparently.

stu170
    Free Member

+1 for e45, I work outside a lot as a mechanical fitter, should wear gloves but often don’t. Hands are filthy most of the time and this cold has got to em, I’ve tried loads of barrier creams but they make my hands dry. E45 in the morning before work and again after a shower at night, and it works a treat for me

jamesoz

flannol

Drink more water

Get more nutrients in your diet, I prefer green smoothies as I’d rather not eat bags of dark leafy greens, but they go down without much effort in a smoothie!

Only time I’ve ever had dry skin was if I my body wasn’t getting adequate nutrients. And it becomes remarkably apparent in my skin. Your skin is an organ and therefor its health is a reflection of ‘overall health’. Absorbing b*** chemicals in to it to make it ‘feel’ and ‘look’ not problematic is not how you fix an underlying issue.

while there is truth in that, it’s a bit of a generalisation and it’s perfectly possible to have damaged skin/eczema and have a good diet. The skin on my hands has been that scarred by eczema that a couple of my fingernails no longer grow correctly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dry skin’ is closed to new replies.