• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ski.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning
  • blades2000
    Free Member

I was sent this article by a friend.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

Thought it might interest some of you at least. Who knows may even help save a life.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Living on a small island as we do, I’m always astonished at the number of parent who don’t take Personal Survival and Life Saving courses, and for that matter Fist Aid (preferably one of the no-nonsense cut to the chase First Aid at work course).

speckledbob
    Free Member

I witnessed this once when surfing. A bloke was swimming further out then us but his style just looked odd and slow. By the time we had decided that he may be drowning there was a life gaued to him. A bit of a chill up my spine realising he could have drowned while we looked on in so little time. Thanks for posting.

footflaps

Good article. Thanks for posting that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Living on a small island as we do, I’m always astonished at the number of parent who don’t take Personal Survival and Life Saving courses,

I agree, but with second thoughts – not many folk actually venture to the coast or mountains very often. I’m still seen as the crazy one that goes and does stuff like kitesurf and ride bikes up things that you can’t walk up by the yokels 🙂

ocrider

Thanks for the link, quite a few “I wasn’t aware of that” moments for me, considering how much time we spend in or around water.

Interesting theological discussion in the comments section 🙄

garage-dweller

Fantastic article. Very interesting especially as the parent of two young kids living by the sea. That’s why they’re getting swimming lessons

Stupid comments are a shame underneath, whatever your beliefs or not may be.

Edukator
    Free Member

Next thing is when you see someone drowning consider why they are drowning before you jump in. Hydrocution is a common cause in France; a thermal shock. No matter hos strong a swimmer you are the victim will have to wait the minute it takes you to get into the water safely on a hot day. Both parents died trying to save their kids a couple of years back here.

bigblackshed

Mario and his education have been on my radar for a while. Some very interesting articles. The Drowning one is very well observed.

I’m a Life Saving Teacher in my spare time. This article has changed the way I teach the signs of drowning or struggling swimmers.

It’s never to late to learn Life Saving skills. There are clubs all over the country. I only started because my son was taking classes and I was sat in the spectators area getting fatter. Did the courses and now teach. Still fat but now I have a whole new skill set.

grahamt1980

I did a beach lifeguard course last year, although I haven’t got any intention of using it as a job, its amazing just how much it teaches you about the sea and its risks.
    Pretty astonishing what you see people do at the beach, esp when you see someone wandering quite happily into a rip

aracer
    Free Member

not many folk actually venture to the coast or mountains very often.

Who are all those people I see at the beach then?

poly
    Free Member

Living on a small island as we do, I’m always astonished at the number of parent who don’t take Personal Survival and Life Saving courses, and for that matter Fist Aid (preferably one of the no-nonsense cut to the chase First Aid at work course).

Interesting assumptions you’ve made there:

(1) Of approx 400 drownings in the UK each year only about 10% are under the age of 14 (beyond which a bit of ‘personal safety’ might come into play).
    (2) Only 1:5 of those cases actually occur at / near the sea! Drownings in the home are more common – although there is an age differential.
    (3) First Aid at Work courses do not normally include child specific first aid; and so are probably the least relevant course for parents.
    (4) The UK has a lower rate of drowning per head of population than Belgium, which has much less coast, or the Czech republic which has no coast. Our rates are amongst the best is europe – and similar to Switzerland who have no coastline!

SkillWill
    Free Member

Great article, thanks.

ski
    Free Member

Nice article blades2000, good post.

The UK has a lower rate of drowning per head of population than Belgium, which has much less coast, or the Czech republic which has no coast. Our rates are amongst the best is europe – and similar to Switzerland who have no coastline!

Did it say why this was the case?

I read that a 3rd of primary school kids cannot swim? Has this figure changed much historically?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9269896/Third-of-primary-school-children-cannot-swim.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning’ is closed to new replies.