Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Dropper Posts & Bikepacking
  • P20

We’ve normally removed the droppers and just used a normal rigid post, but with a stealth routed post I can’t be bothered with the hassle and @ahsat would like to still use her dropper.

There’s things like the wolftooth adapter: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/bags/products/valais-25
    But the straps on the bags are 2” and therefore bigger than the adapter. Is there anything similar for larger bags/straps out there? Or what are people using/doing?

P20

Previous set up when I forgot the rigid posts…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TEiwcs]IMG_3755[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

it damaged the seal on the reverb though and we are now using different bags

jhinwxm
    Free Member

I’ve used this:
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/298-Bottle-Cage-Mounts/1139-DP-MOUNT

It works well, i had no issues using it with the topeak backloader seatpack

martinhutch

The valais restricts drop, so in theory you could place it slightly lower then use other protection of a similar diameter for remaining exposed stanchion above the valais – pipe lagging + tape etc.

The valais will keep that in place, and stop it getting mushed into the seal when you drop the post.

jimdubleyou

+1 on the Toepeak widget.

ahsat

Thanks all. That Topeak looks interesting. Have to order from the EU looking at it, but probably worth the hassle. I’m not so bothered using the dropper with the bag on (as I plan for us to do non technical routes), but if we are away for 2-3 weeks, it would be good to have the option of using it on non bikepacking days.

scotroutes

Pipe lagging / old foam grip. Just cut it long enough to restrict dropper drop. The soft material will protect the seals from damage.

P20

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dropper-posts-bikepacking/#post-11925127

im liking that

stevious

I’ve got an alpkit Exo Rail https://alpkit.com/products/exo-rail-seat-pack-mounting-system that I’ve only had the chance to use once.

It did a good job of providing extra stability meaning I didn’t need the seatpost strap of my bags – I added a bit of security with an extra bungee (which was handy for my tarp anyway). In the end I didn’t get much use out of my dropper as there wasn’t much room between bag & wheel. Something to look out for on smaller bikes I guess.

EDIT: I’ve just spotted that the rail is out of stock and read the bit about only using dropper when the bag is off. Useful stuff from your pal stevious here.

ricko1984
    Free Member

Ortileb bag with abit of pipe lagging to protect the dropper post. It seemed to work well enough

ndthornton
    Free Member

Swap for rigid but just leave the lever and cable in situ

ahsat

Swap for rigid but just leave the lever and cable in situ

Reverb stealth hydraulic post 😬

timizere

Another vote for the Topeak gadget. I can actually attach mine to the seat clamp bit on my brand X dropper, so lose no drop length at all.

chaos

My LBS got the Topeak DP Mount in so I could have a look first without having to commit to the purchase. I think they knew they’d be able to sell it if I didn’t go for it.

I did though.  Handy as a rear light mount as well as seatpacks.

blastit
    Free Member

Reverb enduro collar

Pop one of these on and it will protect you post seal below it and you can mount your bag above with protection etc You can adjust how much drop you have got to stop bag fouling back wheel etc
    seat post collar

AlexSimon

I got another seatpost free off a mate and chopped it and mounted it to the saddle behind the dropper.
    I had to slide my saddle back on the rails 5mm, but otherwise it worked fine.

I should probably have also added some kind of stopper collar on the dropper to limit drop, but I didn’t and I didn’t die.

(don’t click on the link if you’re of an aesthetically sensitive disposition)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZZuADaaNjMcUcxKa7

Cheezpleez

Not a cheap solution but I got a Rockgeist Gondola seatpack. It attaches to the saddle rails only and lets me get full drop from my post. Not huge capacity but enough for me most of the time and it’s very stable.

ahsat

Final solution, for anyone looking for similar. Managed to get a Topeak DP Mount from BikeInn (no UK stock), plus enduro collar. Worked really, really well. Seat pack was super stable (bit fiddly getting the strap right as it’s designed for a wider diameter; but good once sorted) and really liked having the option of a 1” or so drop. Haven’t checked for scratches but can’t see why there would be one as everything done up tightly against the post. Thanks all for the help – this has turned out ideal.

nowad
    Free Member

Alpkit exorail with a bungee fits ant bag or just make one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

@ahsat – could you do me a favour and measure how much real estate on the post shaft the DP Mount clamp takes up?

I’ve got a 50mm dropper on my gravelbike, but if I use a WT Valais I lose a lot of that. The DP looks a lot skinnier, so might be a better answer.

Thank you!

ahsat

@JonEdwards sure. Because of the rubber protector, it is 2 cm.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Awesome – thanks @ahsat !

thenorthwind

When I’ve bikepacked with a dropper before, I’ve just either used a fairly small seatpack and strapped it to the seat rails and right at the top of the post, or round the exposed static top of the post, with a bungee through the seat rails to allow a bit of movement (though not the full travel) and it’s worked well enough.
    Those Topeak things look good though, a fairly simple solution to the problem. Has any used one long term though? Die-cast aluminium doesn’t sound like the best material for a part that’s going to take quite a bit of repeated loading.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rewind a wee bit, might be a daft question, but do you really need the saddle pack? could you not redistribute the kit in there elsewhere, between frame, bar and backpack?.

ahsat

I really don’t like riding with a backpack if I can avoid it. I get super hot, and I’ve had back issues over the years that get aggravated with a heavy rucksack on the bike (have tried bikepacking like this in the past). Therefore also prefer to have water in the frame, which limits room for a frame bag, especially when riding 17” frames. To be honest, the above worked really well over the weekend in the Dales, so I’m happy.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Why not sell the Seatpack and run a tailfin S3 with a drybag, it’s more versatile and varied sizes of load can be used plus ability to use cargo cages if you so wish.

benp1

have you seen how much they are?

P20

There was no uk stock when we ordered these mounts.

I’ve just been in https://www.woodrupcycles.com/  to buy a new Restrap Saddlebag and they’ve got the Topeak mounts in stock.

damascus
    Free Member

Does a massive seat pack on a dropper Post affect its long term life or does it not make a difference with a 13 stone, 6ft3 rider bouncing about in it?

guandax
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Dropper Posts & Bikepacking’ is closed to new replies.