Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dropper post, large saddle bag – Wolf Tooth Valais / Other ideas
  • craig24
    Free Member

I’m looking to use a large saddle bag with my Brand X dropper. I’ve come across the Wolf Tooth Valais and am wondering if I can just pick up a cheaper second hand Reverb Enduro Collar and use that to do the same?

Anyone tried it?

swanny853

You’d need to measure the diameter of the post stanchion. The reverb collar is a pretty snug fit and I imagine would make a nice mess of the surface if the brand x is bigger than a reverb.

craig24
    Free Member

OK thanks. I suppose I could put something under it like inner tube or tape? But then I could just attached the bag straight to the inner tube or tape. Hmmm, something to think about…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I recently used a reverb collar as swanny says it is a snug fit… I had put some electrical tape on the stanchion and then put the collar over it and it was tight.

I think if I had to do it all over again I’d probably plumb for the Valais

swanny853

I suppose I could put something under it like inner tube or tape?

I wouldn’t say for sure, but the reverb collar is pretty solid, so if the post is already too big and then you add extra tape, you’re perhaps making the problem worse. The collar could start to dig in on one side making some nice marks in the stanchion, or just break. Then again, it might be fine. I probably wouldn’t though.

If it were me I’d look at either another saddle bag or some other place to attach, or just bite the bullet and get a valais. You could test out with tape alone to start with.

Or get one of the 3D print wizards on here to make you a custom one- I made something like a larger valais on the work 3D printer to be able to carry a wildcat tiger on the dropper. Because the tiger comes a long way down the post, mine was essentially hollow on the lower 2/3rds and fitted over the reverb collar so you didn’t lose as much drop.

Like so

philjunior
    Free Member

Upside down bikepacking specific dropper posts (with frames to suit the huge standover clearance required of course) are the future…

I’m kind of interested in this problem too, run a reverb and I’d been thinking that a saddle pack attaching only to the saddle rails would be ideal. Does any such thing exist?

craig24
    Free Member

I think I’ll just swap in a standard seatpost for now and see if any other great ideas come to mind.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post, large saddle bag – Wolf Tooth Valais / Other ideas’ is closed to new replies.