Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dropped kerb costs?
  • zippykona

We would like to widen an existing dropped kerb by 7 foot. There is a £200 fee to apply any idea of the cost to do the work?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m sure my parents did something similar and it was another couple of hundred quid, ie stupidly expensive for what you want/they are doing!!!

VanHalen

I`d be suprised if you got much change from £600-700

especially if it needs to be finished in concrete. concretes roughly £50 a cubic metre… at 250mm thk you get 4sqm of surface per cube – you`ll need at least 2. plus steel a393 rebar and 150mm type 1 sub base aggregate. plus labour and kerbs.

matt_outandabout

Can you not just do what the folk with the Focus do opposite?

bruneep

do you need to drop the kerb can you not just hard landscape the front area for parking

Onzadog
    Free Member

LA I used to work for charged £1500 and that was a few years back. You can get your own contractor but they need to be approved to work in public highway. Does the fee you’ve already paid include the sustainable drainage assessment?

Spud

I was quoted ~£350 for 2.5 metres a couple of years back by our LA. Will be getting it done this year as we’ve gone across the whole front with the drive now.

Sundayjumper

We had a completely new entrance / drop kerb done last year for a 3m opening + whatever amount they “flare” each side. It was getting on for £2k IIRC so VH’s estimate is probably not far off for a smaller one.

It looks OK in your pic, but if it involves moving any services (access pit for phone line, water meter) you’re in for a huge bill ! We just about avoided it.

rone

We had ours adjusted from single to double. Was £625 last year. Didn’t think that was too bad.

zippykona

There is a little cover by the left hand pillar where we can turn our water off.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother – just hard landscape the new bit to match and drive on to it.

sc-xc

do you need to drop the kerb can you not just hard landscape the front area for parking

If you cross a non dropped kerb to access you parking space, you run the risk of the council fining you. Also, landscaping would presumably need some sort of permission (ours did)p, and wouldn’t be granted without confirmation of the dropped kerb).

I’m intrigued though, looks like a narrow opening to go up your path?

Edit. I assumed that the drive was next doors?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Can’t see anything there needing permission – new needs to be permeable but all is do is fill in between the path and the existing drive.
    £200 of ready mix and a 4×2″ on a morning and no one will have anything to say.
    You already have the drop kerb you can drive over so aren’t doing anything “wrong”.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Van Halen can you let me know who’s supplying your concrete please 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

We paid just under £600 for a new dropped kerb 4 years ago. Friends paid ~ 1600 for exactly the same thing. It’s really variable depending on area.

Pete
    Free Member

About £1600, but that included a manhole cover for a Virgin Media box… Needed council approval, photos, plans all that malarkey…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Don’t you need to pay for liability insurance too to the council or something as well ?

Cougar

How much is hire of an angle grinder? (-:

tom200

£100 to £200 per kerbstone is a good rule of thumb. Don’t forget the council fee of £150ish.

benp1

Ours was over a grand, £1,400 maybe? It’s council specific, I’m in London

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’ll give a serious answer. Any decent Groundworks outfit should have a street works ticket. This enables them to do such work legally and competently and they will have relevant public liability etc.Prices will vary. It’s an easy job which to be fair could be handled without the use of machinery other than hand held stuff. Looking at that pic it’s probably three kerbs at most to break out and be replaced with 2bnks and a dropper, quick reduce dig, bit of base course ans some 6mm wearing course. 2 men one day to piss it, but that would be broken up probably over two days. I’d say 750. Plus as mentioned above whatever the council want.
    Oh and it doesn’t have to be done by the council before anyone tells you that.

sc-xc

^depends on the LA. I have worked around councils for years…we allow it, but I know (for instance) Leicester don’t.

Worth checking.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not even for accredited subbies? I like derbyshire 😆

sc-xc

I know. It’s mad. We’re so overstretched (and perceived to be overpriced) that it makes sense to share it out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Agreed, I’m sure council roads teams have far more pressing jobs to do than fannying around with people’s drives. What’s the lead time on getting it done then, 3+ months?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dropped kerb costs?’ is closed to new replies.