Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Strathpuffer 16
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone else going? How has training been? Mine has been virtually non existent the last month.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Training?

Whats thatthen?

scruff9252

The extent of my training has been to ponder what bike to bring. My big comfy but not efficient 150mm full sus that will roll over everything when tired, my SS (was which was lead contender till I dug it out of the shed for the first time in years and found it harder work than I remembered when I took it for a test run) or my Cx bike which has a dynamo hub for no lighting issues…

Never really decided so just ate more cake instead.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allfankledup

I went out on a recent club ride, and it was fine – nice gentle pace, social chat blah blah

Turned up to the midweek mtb ride and it was a different focus, guys hammering up the hills, less chat, higher pace etc.

Glad I’m not doing the puffer, the guys are practicing…

richpips
    Free Member

Been doing a good few miles recently. My lad is hoping to improve on this years 61st place in the solos.

breadcrumb

This will be my first year in quite few that I’ve not done it. Bike choice I’d say SS is the way forward for not dicking around maintaining bikes when you don’t want to.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Two singlespeeds for me.

Building a dynami front wheel counts as training yeah?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Training has been a bit of a non event, only miles I’ve been doing really is the 8.5 miles flat commute. Went out on a local loop today and really felt it on the climbs due to the lack of hills recently.

I think the puffer is gonna be a bit of a slog, I’d probably be better off taking a few beers and heckling!.

downhilldave

Richpips, hope minipips has a great ride. Last year was awesome

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks downhilldave.

So are we all raring to go?

Forecast is looking like maybe this maybe that. 😉

swavis

I’m going with no training and hoping it’s as much fun as last year 😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hope it’s snowy for ya Gav 🙂

swavis

Me too!

jordie
    Free Member

I’ll take anything but gale force winds

crazy-legs

Weather is looking very cold but very nice. Hopefully it will arrive in time to freeze all the mud!

Good luck to everyone doing it. 🙂

devs
    Free Member

Mixed pairs again this time for me. Have been training despite manflu and work distractions and it’s gone ok. Racking up PRs on my local routes but I’m feeling I haven’t done enough really long rides. i.e none. Will bash out a 100km ride this weekend as last real ride before the race. swavis you in? Having done a recce ride last week with *don’t know her nickname on here* I suspect I know who will be lifting the female solo trophy 🙂

dewiwms
    Free Member

Doing the puffer for the first time. Doing the pairs and cant wait to start the 500 miles trip up there:-)

dazh

Not this year. Probably a good thing as after getting frostnip in my toes last year they’re now not too great at tolerating the cold.

scotroutes

littlegirlbunny

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nope- need at least a year gap to regain the funds spent on the bike parts last year’s edition broke. 150mm full sus worked fine for me (what were we swavis, 11th male pair?)- I’d not want a singlespeed. You’re there to race, you can’t go as fast as you possibly can on a singlespeed.

I hope it’s a nasty icy rainy bastard of a year so swavis can see what I meant when I said last year was a nice year 😉

AlasdairMc

Last year was a nice year. I reckon this will be grim.

Solo again, just doing it for (type 2) fun, and haven’t trained anywhere near enough. Oh well…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve managed a bit more training but nowhere near as much as I’d hoped for. Going to be a loooong night.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d ss it again, its probably a psychological choice more than a scientific one.

Hang on…how many times has it been won on as?

swavis

I hope it’s a nasty icy rainy bastard of a year so swavis can see what I meant when I said last year was a nice year

I believed you, I thought it was ace last year, certainly a lot kinder than some of the years I’ve been spectating/taking photies.

devs – Will bash out a 100km ride this weekend as last real ride before the race. swavis you in?

I doubt it, it’s too late for me anyway. I’ll be there for teh smiles not the miles 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

That showed last year when you couldn’t beat devs laps from 2013 😉

kcal

Hang on…how many times has it been won on as?

inaugural one was certainly won on SS (the bitterly cold one where everyone’s mech cables froze…)

bedmaker

I’m in the Fatty owls quad. Carb loading is going great.

PrinceJohn

Of all the events on the MTB calendar, this is the one that I can never see myself doing. I think you’re all significantly tougher than I!!

devs
    Free Member

That showed last year when you couldn’t beat devs laps from 2013

Don’t wind him up, he’ll just bully me next time we’re out. 🙂

frood
    Free Member

I’ll be ss-ing my way round for a bit solo. Non existent training is going to lead to a lot of pain. Should be fun. First solo 24 for me

joshvegas
    Free Member

rood – Member
    I’ll be ss-ing my way round for a bit solo. Non existent training is going to lead to a lot of pain. Should be fun. First solo 24 for me

Snap.

richyroth
    Free Member

PrinceJohn; that’s what I always said! And then I did it and it’s awesome and one of my favourite events! A much better idea than it sounds on paper 😀

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    …Hang on…how many times has it been won on as?

About half of them.

This is going to be my last year on a SS. I always said when I got old and frail I’d fit gears – I think I’ve hit that target in life. 🙁

It’ll be a proper mudfest this year if the weather is as warm as forecast (currently cold and crisp).

I’m preparing for mud, mud, and more mud.

Training? Isn’t that just a cunning way to get non injected EPO type results?

The amateur gentleman rider relies on his natural ability… (That’s my excuse anyway).

nikk
    Free Member

Looking like it will be mild and a bit windy.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gfhz89vzt#?fcTime=1453507200

Looks like only thawing out on Friday though, so likely muddy / wet underfoot.

I was kinda hoping for a freezing ‘Puffer this year. Last weekends ride in the Pentlands was ace in the light snow and ice. Oh well.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A bit like 2011 that sounds. Which was a real bike destroyer of a year.

img123

2014 was pretty warm too, I think I wore shorts for the whole 24h. Thinking much the same for this year, although looking at the mudfest envisaged I think I’ll take pretty much all the cycling clothes I own

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’d not want a singlespeed. You’re there to race, you can’t go as fast as you possibly can on a singlespeed.

beg to differ.

youngrob

I’m in the pairs and haven’t done nearly enough training as usual. I’m really looking forward to it though, it’s always a great weekend. Bike choice for me is a 140mm 29er, comfy and fast enough for me. Good luck terrahawk.

epicyclo

terrahawk – Member
    “I’d not want a singlespeed. You’re there to race, you can’t go as fast as you possibly can on a singlespeed.”
    beg to differ.

Terrahawk is too modest to say how many times he has won it on a singlespeed. 🙂

BTW solo place (not mine) going begging – see separate post.

bedmaker

I’d not want a singlespeed. You’re there to race, you can’t go as fast as you possibly can on a singlespeed.
    beg to differ.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 16’ is closed to new replies.