Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Drop bars on a MTB ?
  • maxturner
    Free Member

For some strange reason i fancy putting drop bars on a hardtail MTB, sort of a cross between a cyclocross bike and a MTB, apart from needing a shorter bike than i would normally ride with a shorter stem, are there any reasons that this wouldn’t work ?
    To get a similar cockpit to my 58cm madone road bike i would need a 17.5 inch Trek 6700 with a 70mm stem, top tube 58.8, on the madone the top tube is 57.2 with a 100mm stem.
    I have the discs and gears from a cyclocross bike, will a 10 speed block fit onto a 9 speed MTB hub ?

singlespeedstu

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clink

do a search on mtbr……

aracer
    Free Member

lister

there was a great photo of jonny T in a full rubber speed skiers skin suit, with his drop bars and tioga disc wheel many years ago, he’s hammering a dropping off-camber corner with a grimace on his face and it inspired me to ride and race for years.
    think it was from mbuk but i may be wrong, Jonny T what a legend!

soory for the hijack!

markenduro
    Free Member

Would one of the female specific frames be a better bet for this setup?
    They have a shorter front triangle and usually fetch less econd hand.

singlespeedstu

The Singular up there^^^ comes with a shorter toptube specifically for drop bars.

mefty
    Free Member

Ten speed should fit no problem – the cassette is narrower than a nine speed so they should come with a spacer.

akira

Yeah drops are fine, used to run Spesh Rock Combo bars on a Cindercone back in the day, really steep stuff was a bit sketchy but rideable.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Drop bars on a MTB ?’ is closed to new replies.