• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Driving to the alps – overnight – champagne region!?
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Driving to the alps in the summer, although the day before we need to arrive is the GF’s birthday, so thought about doing it in 2 days with a stop-over somewhere to mark said birthday.

Have always done the peage blast before so v ignorant of what regions are passed along the way.
    My current idea is a stop in the champagne region (epernay?) to visit a champagne house and an overnight in a decent hotel. This keeps driving to a minimum on the 1st day (which appeals as it’s the actual birthday) and the toll road goes right past epernay so keeps the detour to a minimum. Plus the wimminz love that champagne stuff 😕

Any recommendations for a decent overnight, champagne region or elsewhere!?

Twodogs

Here, if you really want to push the boat out Chateau d’Etoges

welshfarmer

If taking 2 days then why not go the non-peage route down via Luxembourg and over the Jura to Geneva. Can spend a night in the Vosges mountains. In terms of distance assuming you are heading past Geneva anyway) it only works out about 70 km further and the roads are pretty good. A lot more scenic in parts too

mrmoofo

Strasbourg is really nice …
    Epernay is a little dull TBH

toby1

Champagne region is is good stop off point. Have dropped over for a couple of trips before and stopped on the way back from the south too,

Central right on the Avenue De Champagne

rural out of town, so cheaper, you can eat there and the barn rooms are very nice too.

dantsw13

There are some amazing chateau Hotel du Chambres in that area – a day on google will certainly get you something special without breaking the bank.

dantsw13

We stopped in Reims on the way south many years ago – Veuve Cliquot do a good Cavé tour.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Transition are the Champagne of Bikes 🙂

Reims is a good stop-over, plenty of tours and things to see, tour etc and as you say detour is small. Some of it is a bit touristy but donsome research and maybe ask the Tourist Office for a recommendation of something a bit more special / less formulaic. We use this website for nice B&B’s & Chambre d’Hote (dinner available if pre-booked), worth a search around.

https://www.sawdays.co.uk

We like Burgundy and often stop off there on the way back to buy wine and maybe have a lunch – its about 3 hours from Alps. That’s another option if you want a longer drive the first day. The motorway goes right past Beaune, you could turn off a bit earlier for more village options and to drive past the famous vineyards. Places to stay from above website. Can make sorecific recommendations if you wish. Note if not in a rush and going to Switzerland we take scenic route via small roads in the Jura before getting to Swiss/French border and Lauserne

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Try stop over connections

Some fantastic places to stay at on that site, we’ve used it on numerous occasions.

rone

I love staying in Beaune. Nice riding of the vineyard variety too.

wilburt
    Free Member

I like to get most of it out of the way so Macon gets my vote.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Would love to do the Vosges/ Jura route one day (and see regions like burgundy etc) but will stick to the champagne region this time – 3 hr drive time from Calais is ideal for birthday travelling. Should arrive by lunchtime wherever I decide to stay.

footflaps

I’ve stayed in Reims before, nice Cathedral to wander round..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5iHApU]Notre-Dame de Reims[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ may I suggest you pick a place based upon dinner, nice tasting menu, tell them it’s mrs theking’s birthday.

IMO Jura is good for the way back when you can do the pootling early in the trip then hit A6 for the main run North. Sometimes on Sat changeover we stop the night in Burgandy arriving around noon for wine tasting/purchase/dinner then a Sunday drive home.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Will do Jamby.
    Any recommendations!?

CHB

Reims is lovely. Needs some time to see. Heading south I can recommend Gaudriller champagne, we passed en route to the Charente region last year and it’s good champagne and sensibly priced. So many good caves in that area!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Driving to the alps – overnight – champagne region!?’ is closed to new replies.