Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Down tube mounted tool carrier(?)
  • letmetalktomark

My Signal has bottle cage mounts under the DT near the BB.

I’m unlikely to ever need them for a bottle so I was thinking about tool storage. Currently the co2 canister & multitool go in the back pocket of my jersey.I think it was on the Planet X site I saw a bottle cage tool box – basically a bottle without a lid. I was planning on pairing one of these with an everything type cage with a strap so the bottle(?) wouldn’t come out of the mountainous rocks of Suffolk.

Before I go this route is there a neater option? Id rather not go saddle bag as the dropper friendly one I tried flapped around. Frame bag is an option but I would want fully waterproof rather than water resistant.

Any suggestions?

BigJohn

I use a Vittoria Zip case. Excellent and doesn’t rattle.

jimdubleyou

I’ve got a couple of options – a planet x zip case, not sure I’d trust it to remain waterproof.

I’ve also got a pro storage bottle which is pretty good too.

Might be worth checking what wolftooth have got in their b-rad range. Some of their bags mount directly without the need for a cage.

martinhutch

Only issue with the Vittoria case is that it isn’t waterproof at all. Very good otherwise, room for a tube, tools etc.

letmetalktomark

Thanks folks.

To those using something like the Zip case are you using it with a std bottle cage?

martinhutch

Yes, Vittoria one fits fine in a Specialized Zee cage, very snug.

letmetalktomark

Thanks Martin – do you use it on the underside of the DT?

I like the idea of the Wolftooth bag and have been impressed with their other bits but quick swapping between bikes would be usefu.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got a piggy from 76projects with dry bag which works well though mine mounts a bottle cage too.

The little piggy just mounts to your bosses and doesn’t take a bottle cage

cheers_drive

76 Projects Little Piggy
    Linky

Edit: Danger Brain beat me to it

Rob @76 Projects

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for 76projects. I had one for review and it was very nice bit of kit.

76Projects On Bike Storage

mudfish

Hi,

So nice that piggy and drybag, neat and practical
    I don’t have any bottle bosses because Geometron Bikes / Mojo think they weaken the tube structure!
    So the strap-on (ooh madam) capability os useful and means it can go anywhere – on then bike I mean (don’t be naughty).

Ideally, though, I’d like to get a tube and Lezyne minipump in there.

Is there a solution for that which is as universal?

Maybe I’ll just separate the two, strapping the pump elsewhere – and put the tube and a few other not often needed bits in one of these neat little bags.

Is it good for MTB use on rough ground? Does the “cage” part move around and risk marking the anodising perhaps?
    I am anticipating removing after muddy rides and hosing. Although the straps may need an age to dry out?
    My current “Enduro”(sorry) strap which holds pump and tube takes an age to dry out. I certainly don’t like all that muck on the tube – so the little bag would be nice for that reason

what wealth of knowledge this forum is

neil

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of the louri frame straps
    https://louribike.com/products/louri_frame_strap

they work well and nothing has ever fallen out while riding / racing.

I use an old glasses bag to stuff items in side to keep some of the mud off them .

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s also the Monkii Wedge – https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle-products/monkii-v-wedge-frame-bag-tool-roll/#.XjQS6tb7TwM

You mount it by screwing in a couple of cleats (essentially bolts with large plastic washers) and the bag then mounts and unmounts onto these so there’s no strap rubbing on the frame. I’ve the much larger Gorilla Cage in that location and that is pretty solid, not come loose yet.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Hi,
    I don’t have any bottle bosses because Geometron Bikes / Mojo think they weaken the tube structure!
    So the strap-on (ooh madam) capability os useful and means it can go anywhere – on then bike I mean (don’t be naughty).
    Ideally, though, I’d like to get a tube and Lezyne minipump in there.
    Is there a solution for that which is as universal?
    Maybe I’ll just separate the two, strapping the pump elsewhere – and put the tube and a few other not often needed bits in one of these neat little bags.
    Is it good for MTB use on rough ground? Does the “cage” part move around and risk marking the anodising perhaps?
    I am anticipating removing after muddy rides and hosing. Although the straps may need an age to dry out?
    My current “Enduro”(sorry) strap which holds pump and tube takes an age to dry out. I certainly don’t like all that muck on the tube – so the little bag would be nice for that reason
    what wealth of knowledge this forum is
    neil

HI. You could use the little piggy and strap the pump outside the bag but within the main strap. If you are not using boss mounts then there are some very good quality rubber frame protectors included, so no damage to paintwork. Its very secure in either mounting option, so yes it would be ok on very rough ground.

honourablegeorge

mudfish

I was pondering this one for my G1, but using just the single bolt hold behind the shock lever. Figure I could add a cable tie if it wobbled, but given it would just be for a C02 cartridge and a tubolito, it would be pretty light.

https://www.merlincycles.com/wolf-tooth-b-rad-mini-roll-top-bag-and-mounting-plate-172497.html

martinhutch

Thanks Martin – do you use it on the underside of the DT?

No, seat-tube cage mount. Wouldn’t expect it to fall out of a decent cage even on the downtube though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i3QAto]IMG_20191222_133821[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

@mudfish

I went with the Little Piggy, seemed better value than the Wolf Tooth. Tried mounting with a single bolt, but it was a little wobbly, as the rubber on the other side was of the frame, so strap mounted for now.

mudfish

thanks trailwagger and honourablegeorge

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Down tube mounted tool carrier(?)’ is closed to new replies.