Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DOT fluid to remove paint from frame
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Does it work?  Got a horrible black aluminium dirt jump frame i want to strip to raw  and have lots of DOT fluid from my dabble with rubbish brakes.

oliverracing

Pretty sure it corrodes the aluminium too so you’ve end up with a horrible mess and corroded frame.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

as i suspected! cheers!

hols2
    Free Member

Pretty sure it corrodes the aluminium too

A lot of brake components are made of aluminium, including master cylinders and wheel cylinders.

hols2
    Free Member

DOT fluid isn’t actually corrosive to metal as many people believe. It destroys paint and then the metal under the paint corrodes because it has been exposed.

teethgrinder

Most of a Hope E4 is aluminium. Not nececelery the same grade as your frame, though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ok…. so that’s  a yes…. or a no…. or?

mashr

or just use paint stripper

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a jump bike.

Are you good enough to not scrape it all on the first seshion?

Impressed i am.

sharkattack

Go to your local trade paint shop and ask for some painter stripper that contains dicloromethane. They usually have it in massive drums and might sell you a litre for a fiver or so.

It’s amazing. Don’t get it on your skin!

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Nitrmors or panel wipe will destroy any paint on there without damaging the metal (they’ve taken all the good stuff out of it now)

philjunior
    Free Member

Paint stripper as others have said would be the correct thing.

DOT might strip paint when you don’t want it to, but that doesn’t make it a good paint stripper – a bit like some improvised explosives used for attempted terrorist attacks that have used stuff that can explode when you don’t want it to, but luckily doesn’t make a good reliable bomb.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DOT fluid to remove paint from frame’ is closed to new replies.