Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Don't Run Your Dishwasher Overnight
  • GrahamS

Speaking of home appliances, as we were, friends of ours just announced on Facebook that they will be spending the first week or two of the school holidays in a hotel.

But not for nice reasons..

😯

Luckily they all got out safely but their kitchen is pretty much destroyed.

If you are in the habit of running your dishwasher overnight (as we are were) then please think twice!

molgrips
    Free Member

Same goes for any appliance, really.

firestarter
    Free Member

A huge amount of the house fires i go to are started by washing machines.

bruneep

and get a smoke and or heat detector fitted free by your local FS

<logs 20mins CFS>

MrSmith
    Free Member

Off to buy some batteries for the fire alarm tomorrow!
    I run my washer/dryer early mornings on a timer due to the economy 7 electricity,,didn’t realise they caused so many fires.

zbonty

I had a close call a couple of years ago- put a second clothes wash on and popped to the local shop for some biscuits.

Came back in and the plug was in full meltdown. Scary stuff. Lesson learned.

masher
    Free Member

My BIL is a fireman. When he stays at ours he insists on shutting our kitchen door every night. To him its more important than locking the front door.

I asked him why. He wanted to show me the photos. I declined – I take his word for it.

GrahamS

They had three smoke alarms. Loud enough that they alerted the neighbours too, which is good!

hora
    Free Member

Why do people have dishwashers? I thought it was a 90’s thing! It takes minutes by hand to wash the contents of a machine. Plus you dont have to build up a load. First world laziness.

globalti
    Free Member

I HATE dishwashers; they are a waste of electricity and they are, as posted above, the worst example of laziness ever. You can wash the dishes in a few minutes and tidy everything away by hand but with a DW you have to handle everything twice, not to mention that people leave them until a load has built up meaning that by the time you do the wash everything is stinking and the whole thing is a bacterial soup. The dried-on food collects around the door seals and when you open them everything is still wet anyway, plus any bowl that has slipped upright will be full of crappy water. Horrible things.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why do people have dishwashers? I thought it was a 90’s thing! It takes minutes by hand to wash the contents of a machine. Plus you dont have to build up a load. First world laziness.

Do people still wash up by hand? I thought it was an 80s thing when people didn’t care about the environment and wasting energy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Please let me next house have a dishwasher and back to the OP having working smoke detectors is on top of the list, just because it’s daytime doesn’t mean you will notice.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dishwashres, one of the greatest inventions ever! Anyone who doesn’t have one just hasn’t seen the light.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    I HATE dishwashers; they are a waste of electricity and they are, as posted above, the worst example of laziness ever.

Got the evidence to back it up? I’m sure the papers I read up on while working in the detergent industry pointed to them being more efficient with water and power.

Laziness? Try outside and primary school morning and night.

hora
    Free Member

Working in the detergent industry you must have the figures 😉

I dont like microwaves either but its a different topic..

Interesting note on running washing machines unattended- cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep amazingly people actually do measure the difference between the 2 things and a major selling point for new appliances is being more efficient. It probably takes more water to do the same amount of dishes in a sink.

igm

Colleague at work had a fire started by his fridge the other week.

So only run those when you’re there to supervise too – oh…

Large number of domestic fires that are started are started by appliances – but is that a large number of fires in absolute terms? What is the risk you are running? And remember firemen have a habit of going to places where there are fires and therefore get a distorted view of the likelihood of fires -as DSL repairs engineers with faults in our industry.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dishwashers use less water than washing by hand!

What happens if you put the dishwasher on in the day time when no one is about?

seadog101

And As for smoke alarms being effective,

They don’t wake your kids up….

I’ll be getting something better than the one we currently have downstairs.

Dishwashers use less water than washing by hand!

What happens if you put the dishwasher on in the day time when no one is about?

Well, I guess you don’t go up in smoke with your house.

theotherjonv

Large number of domestic fires that are started are started by appliances – but is that a large number of fires in absolute terms? What is the risk you are running? And remember firemen have a habit of going to places where there are fires and therefore get a distorted view of the likelihood of fires -as DSL repairs engineers with faults in our industry.

It’s all risk vs benefit. And also risk likelihood and severity of the risk as well.

It might not be very common to have a dishwasher start a fire – I’m sure it isn’t. But if it does, at best it’s an really big PITA (my friend had exactly the same experience as the OP, kitchen gutted, whole house smoke damaged, fortunately their smoke alarms worked too), at worst – I too have a friend who’s a fireman and you wouldn’t like the worst. On that basis, the benefit of running it overnight on Economy 7 vs the hassle of being organised to put it on as soon as dinner is done so it runs while we are awake – I know how I balance that against being burnt alive.

As for smoke alarms not waking your kids up. My mate the fireman helped us write a fire escape plan. Part of which is NOT getting the kids moving about until you want them to; so my two are told that if there is a fire and they hear the smoke alarm stay where they are, if they smell smoke put their duvet against the door, wait, and I’ll be there to tell them it’s safe or to get them out. You don’t want to have to search a burning house to find a kid gone astray, I want to know where they are.

Big hat off to all the firefighters. Anyone whose job it is to run into a building when the whole of the rest of humanity knows the sensible thing to do is run out of it, gets my undying support. Yours is one of the jobs that actually wakes me up at night in a sweat, it scares me that much.

martinhutch

I’ve never understood dishwashers. By the time you’ve scraped and rinsed the stuff, loaded it, unloaded it, you could have washed it in the sink three times over.

I can’t believe that whatever they have to put in dishwasher tablets/rinse aid to get rid of burnt-on filth is less harmful than a single squirt of Fairy.

The figures about using less water/energy seem to be dependant on a comparison with someone who washes up by leaving the hot tap running.

One cycle in a typical dishwasher costs the same in energy and water as heating between four to six washing-up bowls of water in the kitchen sink, or running the hot tap continuously for six to nine minutes (depending on whether the household has a metered or unmetered water supply), Joe Payne of the Energy Saving Trust said.

Source: Torygraph

Does anyone wash up in the sink this way?

konabunny
    Free Member

Do people still wash up by hand? I thought it was an 80s thing when people didn’t care about the environment and wasting energy.

so people still use dishes when they eat? I thought it was a 70s thing when people didn’t know about banana leaves and using their fingers to eat.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Good to see they are all ok.

Dishwashers, washing machines and dryers cause lots of fires. They should never be on overnight and never when nobody is at home.

Also make sure you have working smoke alarms fitted.

I work in the home fire prevention department of the fire service. Home appilances are common cause of fires.

nickjb
    Free Member

One cycle in a typical dishwasher costs the same in energy and water as heating between four to six washing-up bowls of water in the kitchen sink, or running the hot tap continuously for six to nine minutes

I’d say that was woefully out of date. Maybe if your dishwasher is 20 years old. Modern units use less than 10l.

hora
    Free Member

The way we do it (I’ve drilled this into my family- incase I’m away on my bike etc)- keep a charged phone by the bed, keys left in doors and if the fire alarm goes off open a window ASAP whilst dialing.

I’ve got a fire extinguisher kept upstairs by the landing however knowing even what smoke is like near a bonfire etc I’d also go straight to a window (if upstairs).

Our nearest firestation is circa 1.5miles away so I’d hope they’d be here quick.

Interms of washing up- hot sink of soapy water- cool rinse.

We don’t have burnt on food nor food thats gone hard (why would anyone do that? I guess if you are waiting to build up a full load you might have stuff in there waiting for a while- but surely every dishwasher load isn’t full to the brim and don’t you have to rinse off your plates etc first before loading? It just makes the whole thing very labour intensive/hassle when you finish meal/wash/done.

Rinse, Load, load, wait- how full is it? Keep going, rinse, load load. Wheres the knives? Oh there are some dirty ones in the dishwasher (rinses/cleans uses). Again – need another plate. Where are all the plates? In the dishwasher waiting.

With all this I bet dishwasher owners still buy washinh liquid and still do some handwashing because they ate alone/not worth the hassle etc..

**** that.

bruneep

Get smoke alarms interlinked we fit ones that connect to each other by wifi. One goes off they all go off, has been known to wake my 2 teenage kids.

martinhutch

TBH, the only advice is to get out and worry about dialling 999 when you’re on the street.

igm

Hopk1ns – in a risk assessment sort of way, and assuming there are around 15-20 million home in the country (that’s a guess) how many fires is lots, and what is the probability of a fire per year, and how would that compare to the ALARP guidelines (you know the triangle diagram one)?

I still don’t see it as high risk – high impact though I agree.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve got a fire extinguisher kept upstairs by the landing

What good is that? Put it next to the dishwasher already! 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Just remember, don’t risk your life trying to tackle a fire, just get out and call the fire brigade on 0118 999 881 999 119 7253.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hora, earlier…

hora
    Free Member

Martin agree but we have to get passed the wooden stairs/kitchen.

If its night, dark, confused- I fear my other half trying to get down stairs eith a 5yr old into more smoke.

Question- worthwhile buying smoke hoods? Or paranoia.

Thegreatape tbh a dishwasher would give me more time to raise barns 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t rinse stuff before putting it in the dishwasher. Still comes out clean.

Believe it or not, I have done plenty of washing up by hand, and I am able to make an informed decision on whether or not I want one. I am nor a sheep, globalti 🙂

Re fires.. Reminds I need to get escape ladders for our house.

thepurist

Come on STW standards are slipping. Not one comment about the dead patches on the lawn or the spotty planting in the borders.

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s also possible to get smaller dishwashers – I fitted a narrow one, still big enough to do us, but uses something like 1/4 less water and power than a full size one.

I work in the home fire prevention department of the fire service. Home appilances are common cause of fires.

How many fires in total, though? Something being a common cause of fires isn’t the same as the fires being common. Going surfing is a common cause of shark attacks, but shark attacks are very rare.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the one thing i dont get is my mrs insists on rinsing some things before they go in the dishwasher, wtf is that about, to me it means the dishwasher isnt fit for purpose if you have to wash them before you put them in, waste of water, waste of electricity but some battles are not worth fighting, theres bigger battles to to worry about, haha

anagallis_arvensis

work in the home fire prevention department of the fire service. Home appilances are common cause of fires.

But how many home fires are there per house?

gobuchul
    Free Member

My dishwasher uses about 10 – 12 litres if water per wash.

It’s also a lot more hygienic than hand washing.

There is no way you could wash a full load of dishes in the sink with that amount of water, unless you are washing stuff in filthy, lukewarm water, at the end. You would need to re-fill the bowl several times and you also must have a huge drainer to stack them all on.

hora
    Free Member

the one thing i dont get is my mrs insists on rinsing some things before they go in the dishwasher, wtf is that about, to me it means the dishwasher isnt fit for purpose if you have to wash them before you put them in, waste of water, waste of electricity but some battles are not worth fighting, theres bigger battles to to worry about, haha

As its a Friday..lets have a Friday analogy..

Dishwasher users are like Council departments- meetings discussing what they are going to do and how they’ll go about it…whereas sink users are like go-getting private businesses.. just get it **** done. 😀

Another thing- after loading it you’ve got to unload it, moan about the streaks and sometimes scrub the stubborn ones again in the sink with washing up liquid? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Don't Run Your Dishwasher Overnight’ is closed to new replies.