Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Domestic lighting
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any sparkies in the house? I’m looking for guidance/rules/regs etc that cover the lighting levels required in a dwelling or more specifically on the stairs in a dwelling.

alanl
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any set levels, apart from for emergency use, which is around 1 lumen, which isnt very light.
    CIBSE publish a lot of info on lighting, see this site for some recommendations, though I dont think they are mandatory.
    Lighting levels

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thanks, I found that site earlier. We have a new build house on one of our developments that was built for us under a D&B contract. The half landing is very dark and the builders want £2k (!!) to get lighting to it. I’m hoping to show that their lighting scheme doesn’t comply so it’s up to them to correct it. But I need to find some relevant legislation to show non compliance!
    Building regs have nothing to say about lighting levels either.
    CIBSE seems to be mostly non domestic I think.
    Must admit I’m surprised there doesn’t seem to be any set levels.

alanl
    Free Member

It shouldnt take much more than 2 hours to get some extra lighting fitted, much less if there is easy access to the cables in the attic.
    The worst case scenario is the need to cut holes in the plasterwork to get cables in. Even then, its a morning job for a sparky and plasterer together.

turin
    Free Member

not sure which part of the empire you are in but this might help

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-2017-domestic/4-safety/46-electrical-fixtures/

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Not Scotland sadly! It’s bottom half landing in a two story house so it’s going to be fairly difficult to get wiring to it as there is no attic above the landing ceiling.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you don’t get anywhere with them sorting it I would just get something like one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOOPHEN-Wireless-Battery-Powered-Sensing/dp/B07S93N92F/ref=sr_1_54?dchild=1&keywords=Wireless+LED+Lights&qid=1600933656&sr=8-54

I used to just have a motion detecting night light plugged in in my entrance way that worked well (replaced now with an Echo Flex + motion detector and wired light).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I think we are going to have look at something hard wired although if it was my own house then a battery powered option would be fine. These are £550k houses so it needs to look integrated of possible 🙂

Jakester
    Free Member

Domestic Building Service Compliance Guide any use to you?

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents/74/part_l_-_conservation_of_fuel_and_power/5

Otherwise I would be on to an M&E consultant for advice.

donks
    Free Member

We normally design to approx 100 lux to stairwells and general circulation areas.
    If using led down lights you will be able to calc this out quite easily in Relux (free lighting software) but if it’s a pendant with a lamp that can be changed then it’s much harder to obtain meaningful lumindata for the light fitting.
    There are no dead set rules for lighting in domestic dwellings but if you used 100 lux as guidance you should be fine.

couchy
    Free Member

It shouldnt take much more than 2 hours to get some extra lighting fitted, much less if there is easy access to the cables in the attic.
    The worst case scenario is the need to cut holes in the plasterwork to get cables in. Even then, its a morning job for a sparky and plasterer together.

Do you want a job as that is some quality assumptions 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Domestic lighting’ is closed to new replies.