Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Dogs – sheep worrying
  • scotroutes

The piece of law I referred to earlier allows a Shepherd to shoot a dog if it is not in “close control”. Any more than a few feet away and it is fair game.

Oh and always take a dog off the lead if crossing a field full of cattle.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

When cows are with with calves and feel threatened, the very last thing some dog owners do is pick up their pooch. If they’d let it go, the cows maybe wouldn’t get close to it.

Bunnyhop

Thanks for clarifying.

Round here a few dog owners have been killed for not letting their dogs ‘go’.

andyl
    Free Member

I need to check this out with our local Police really as they may suggest (and support) me applying for a firearms licence and getting a shotgun. It is something on the increase and there has been a few lambs killed locally every year for the last few years and I have had to have words with dog owners when out after seeing dogs worrying sheep (not my own).

I don’t particularly want to shoot a dog or cause it any harm any other way, nor so I want to have to carry a gun with me everytime I check the sheep as then it will need to be secured in the vehicle if I go anywhere else.

We have signs to put up when the ewes are in lamb as one piece of land we rent has a footpath running through it. It’s only really a path that local people use so I don’t want to put up a “must be on a lead” sign as the neighbours all seem to be sensible (some have sheep) and so far pick up their dogs poo. But if I had land with much more general public then i would put up sign insisting that all dogs are on leads and all poo is picked up. If I was still getting problems I would have no problem in fencing in the path.

Dog poo on grazing and arable land really winds me up.

Drac

I’ve always picked mine up as the cows don’t recognise it as a dog, mind if they charge to dog is on its own.

theotherjonv

Oh and always take a dog off the lead if crossing a field full of cattle.

Nice idea. My dog’s such a coward when it comes to bigger animals that if one approaches her she tries to get between my feet. At least on a lead I can keep her moving rather than just being a trip hazard 😉

jolmes
    Free Member

Our Old English Sheepdog was allowed to “have a sniff” around some sheep a couple of months ago, completely with the farmers permission as he used to breed sheepdog and had just retired his last one. Wanted to know if she had the natural herding instinct, happy to say she was useless and didn’t know what to do so just sat looking at them and bobbing her head to one side.

Whats this about letting the dog off around cattle? We often walk her through a field in which cattle graze on if its not flooded and we often call her back and pop her on the lead. The cattle don’t seem to mind at all but we like to keep her close.

Drac

Whats this about letting the dog off around cattle? We often walk her through a field in which cattle graze on if its not flooded and we often call her back and pop her on the lead. The cattle don’t seem to mind at all but we like to keep her close.

Cows with calves are very protective if you have a dog then even more so. Keeping them off the lead allows you to escape is the theory, not one I’ve practised as I’ve either carried the dog kept them on a lead. I’ve been charged at a few times with and without a dogs, they’ve sometimes stopped when I’ve shouted and flung my arms abut. Other times I’ve darted over the nearest fence. It’s a sad fact that people do get killed each year.

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-killed-by-cow-in-northumberland-1-7852105

jolmes
    Free Member

Ahh ok so we’ll be avoiding that field in the future. Come to think of it, its a major through way for commuters and people walking and I’m not certain if I’ve ever seen calves there, but I will keep an eye out. Thanks for that info.

richc
    Free Member

The piece of law I referred to earlier allows a Shepherd to shoot a dog if it is not in “close control”. Any more than a few feet away and it is fair game.

I seriously doubt that, if a farmer blasted your off the lead dog that was walking 3 or 4 feet from your side. I suspect the farmer would be going to prison. As there isn’t a court in the land that would consider that reasonable. Luckily all the farmers I know aren’t internet hero’s so wouldn’t dream of shooting a dog a few feet from its owner.

WRT to the person picking up their puppy and the dog jumping, last thing you should do is pick up the dog; as that makes the puppy more interesting.

Have you gone to any puppy training yet as its well worth it.

When dealing with your new puppy, don’t forget its a dog, not a little person so how you think isn’t how they think. These books are also worth a read, as you are going to have a dog for a long time and small mistake now can be a PITA to correct:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/456084.Think_Dog

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12002008-in-defence-of-dogs

In defence of dogs I found very interesting and made a lot of sense to me.

Also if I’m in a field with cattle dog is on the lead, unless the cattle start moving towards me then I let them off.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and with regards to shooting – it is not a clear cut case that a dog will be destroyed for killing livestock. The husky we caught was returned to the owners who then had to return it to the breeder. Really not a satisfactory result in this case as there had been a few unexplained dog attacks in the area and the owner had been seen giving the dogs sheep carcasses to gnaw on in the garden…

I don’t have any problem with cows but had a situation of being charged by some very wound up cows back in the very wet weather in January. I won’t go into the long details but it was one of those situations were I did nothing wrong and was faced with a herd of very angry cows and ended up with the lead cow 2ft from my face as I stood my ground. Could have gone either way but after that they all backed down and we left the way we came instead of pushing the situation any further. I am under no illusions it wasn’t a very close call though, seeing a cow so wound up it bucks up with all 4 legs off the ground and heads straight for you tends to fire up the adrenaline.

richc
    Free Member

the owner had been seen giving the dogs sheep carcasses to gnaw on in the garden…

Then that owner was a cock.

Drac

I seriously doubt that, if a farmer blasted your off the lead dog that was walking 3 or 4 feet from your side. I suspect the farmer would be going to prison. As there isn’t a court in the land that would consider that reasonable. Luckily all the farmers I know aren’t internet hero’s so wouldn’t dream of shooting a dog a few feet from its owner.

Well that’s because he didn’t mean that he meant the dog could possibly be destroyed as its classed is being not in control. He didn’t mean he could open up both barrels there and then.

MoreCashThanDash

Any dog must be in close control in a public place – Dangerous Dogs Act. Being off the lead 3-4 feet away from it’s owner probably isn’t grounds for shooting it. Being 3-4 feet away from it’s owner and tearing off towards ewes and lambs probably is.

Tragic for the dog. Should be allowed to kneecap the owners as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If an uncontrolled dog is running amok, and can’t be chased off, without a gun (and the ability to use it accurately), you’d basically just have to wait for the dog to stop.

I’ve heard it explained as ‘lesser of two evils’, even a dog being shot by a shotgun is going to suffer less than a sheep being caught by a dog. Neither’s a desirable outcome.

bails

A couple of local farmers have quite graphic pictures of dead sheep on posters warning that they will shoot dogs. The pictures should get the attention of even the most stupid dog owner

Surely a picture of a dead dog would be more attention grabbing.

MoreCashThanDash

Surely a picture of a dead dog walker would be more attention grabbing.

In for a penny….

bails

Surely a picture of a dead dog would be more attention grabbing.

I should add, I don’t want any dogs to be shot, (and I don’t want any sheep to be attacked either) but putting a warning of “dogs will be shot” up with a photo of what happens when the dog doesn’t get shot is like putting a “Burglars will be shot” sign up next to a photo of a bloke running away with your TV under his arm.

blanklook

Blimey – been over a week since I wrote this – really was just to get it down on paper as was on my mind. Anyway to answer questions, yes we did tell farmer who contacted the police who then phoned me. Still waiting for them to arrange a time to make a statement…

bigjim

good work fella

gwaelod
    Free Member

apocryphal story round where I grew up was if you had a puppy take it Billi Glas’ farm and he’d put it in the pen with an old ram who would scare the pup so much it would never worry a sheep ever.

No idea if that ever worked, but seemed to be a bit of welsh valleys farming lore

andyl
    Free Member

It’s not just inconsiderate idiots with dogs. Some *!#@ down the road having a party on saturday night decided to put on firework display that the American military would be proud of at 10:30. In an area with lots of horses, cows and lambs at a time of year when there is a lot of newly born or still pregnant animals. Scared the crap out of our pregnant ewes who all hid behind the trailer and then I ended up with 4 hrs sleep as I had to keep checking them and sure enough we ended up with one going into labour a week early and me having to pull it out breach. After a shakey couple of days it’s now looking a lot better.

Some people either do not think or just do not care about the consequences of their actions.

shermer75
    Free Member

apocryphal story round where I grew up was if you had a puppy take it Billi Glas’ farm and he’d put it in the pen with an old ram who would scare the pup so much it would never worry a sheep ever.
    No idea if that ever worked, but seemed to be a bit of welsh valleys farming lore

Heard a similar story from my Nan who lived in the midlands

iainc

Riding Arrochar Alps with a mate a few months ago, came to a gate, where a middle aged couple were approaching with a big bouncy dog on other side. We stop to open gate and bloke says ‘don’t worry about the dog, he’ll jump on you but he’s friendly 😯

I replied ‘don’t worry I’ll jump on your wife but I’m friendly’ ! He wasn’t amused but his wife smirked. I didn’t jump, neither did the dog… 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

Heard a similar story from my Nan who lived in the midlands

And did she worry sheep after she got the treatment?

timber

Certainly hearing of a lot more cases from our tenants and commoners that we deal with. Not something the farmers want to be doing, they’ve got enough to do at lambing as it is. They are also very aware of their obligation to report and that it is the owners responsibility to deal with the carcass and compensate for the ewe/lamb.

welshfarmer

Some info lifted from the National Sheep Association website.

Fill your boots with info…. http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/dog-owners/

Some key points highlighted by me

“Staying legal in England and Wales

Here is a summary of the key points of legislation affecting dogs around sheep in England and Wales, to help you feel confident that you and your pet are staying within the law when in farming areas.

Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953, if a dog worries sheep on agricultural land, the person in charge of the dog is guilty of an offence. The Act considers sheep worrying to include attacking sheep, chasing them in a way that may cause injury, suffering, abortion or loss of produce or being at large (not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep.

The Countryside and Right of Way Act (CROW Act) sets out public rights of access to open land and the restrictions to these rights. Although CROW allows anyone on to open access land (land you can access without having to use paths, including mountains, moorland, heaths, downs and registered common land) for recreation, the Act states that the public can only go on this land if they keep dogs on a fixed lead of 2 metres or less near livestock. The owner of open access land can close areas containing sheep to dogs for up to six weeks once a year, as a safeguard during lambing. Trained guide and hearing dogs are still allowed in these areas during this closure.

The Countryside Code in England and Wales

The Countryside Code offers advice on walking your dog near livestock, as well as other information on how to enjoy a safe and responsible trip to a rural area in England and Wales. Excerpts from the Countryside Code say: “When you take your dog into the outdoors always ensure it does not disturb wildlife, farm animals, horses or other people by keeping it under effective control … It is always good practice to keep your dog on a lead around farm animals … Keep your dog in sight at all times, be aware of what it’s doing and be confident it will return to you promptly on command … Ensure it does not stray off the path or area where you have a right of access.” The Code also reminds walkers that a farmer ‘may shoot a dog which is attacking or chasing farm animals without being liable to compensate the dog’s owner’.

CountZero

I’m not sure of the law when it comes to cattle. We were taught that land containing mothers with calves, again the dogs should be on a lead.

As I understand it, the dog should be on a lead, but if the cattle become agitated and start to stampede towards the owner and their dog then it’s advisable to let the dog go, otherwise it’s a very real possibility that the owner will get trampled to death by the cattle trying to get at the dog, which they see as a threat to their calves.
    Unlike sheep, getting on for half to three-quarters of a ton of cow can really look after itself; a dozen even more so.
    There have been several fatalities around Chippenham in recent years, the owner keeping hold of the dog lead in at least two has been a major factor.

anagallis_arvensis

My lurcher wont go in a field with cattle unless she’s off the lead and can run round the outside of the field as far away from the cattle as posible. Same with horses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I understand it, the dog should be on a lead, but if the cattle become agitated and start to stampede towards the owner and their dog then it’s advisable to let the dog go, otherwise it’s a very real possibility that the owner will get trampled to death by the cattle trying to get at the dog, which they see as a threat to their calves.

This.
    Why would you let your dog roam free, keep it on the path.

My lurcher wont go in a field with cattle unless she’s off the lead and can run round the outside of the field as far away from the cattle as posible.

Yes if your dog won’t do what it’s told to on lead don’t go in the field. The dog isn’t meant to be roaming around all over is it? Seen too many out of sight out of mind ones, next to the It’s never done that befores…

Andy-R

gwaelod – Member

My father used to do that, too. On the Isle of Man BTW.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes if your dog won’t do what it’s told to on lead don’t go in the field. The dog isn’t meant to be roaming around all over is it? Seen too many out of sight out of mind ones, next to the It’s never done that befores…

I grew up on a beef cattle farm, I dont need daft advice from you! Anyone who has to put a dog on a lead to enter a field with cattle shouldnt be going in the field as they are putting themselves in danger. Picking the dogs up is just outright bonkers.

anagallis_arvensis

he’d put it in the pen with an old ram who would scare the pup so much it would never worry a sheep ever.

Wonder how many pups were killed?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I grew up on a beef cattle farm, I dont need daft advice from you!

20 years growing up on a farm too. I don’t think it’s right to let a dog roam around other people’s fields.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ooooo, a Farm-off.

benp1

So, in a field full of big animals – cows, bulls etc, what’s the advice for your dog?

On the lead or off the lead?

Is it any different for horses?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in case of trouble let go of the lead, let the dog run as it will most likely run away. Welshfarmer posted a good link above.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dog on lead in field, let it go if cattle come after you/dog. Our lab was really good walking to heel but after one or two moments where she “had a look” so from then on it was lead on, as an aside she sememd to have more interest in horses than cattle or sheep.

Issue with our friends dogs is that if two Ridgebacks want to go an average woman can’t hold them back

scotroutes

Which raises the issue of whether an “average woman” can ever be said to be in control of two Ridgebacks.

(substitute gender/breed as appropriate)

anagallis_arvensis

For me:

Sheep=lead
    Cattle=off lead
    Horses= avoid unless I know them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Dogs – sheep worrying’ is closed to new replies.