Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Dogs – sheep worrying
  • anagallis_arvensis

Obviously it depends on the dog though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I grew up on a beef cattle farm, I dont need daft advice from you! Anyone who has to put a dog on a lead to enter a field with cattle shouldnt be going in the field as they are putting themselves in danger.

Or perhaps you do?

Owners are responsible for controlling their dogs. Makes sense to use a lead to control the dog in the vicinity of any farm animals. Being sensible does not put you in danger. The danger comes if the cattle are scared/provoked – leaving side whether this is more or less likely if a dog is on a lead – its at that point you {are recommended to) let them go to protect yourself.

going back to OP seems like an accident if dog slipped lead but responsibility remains clear

From the NFU

When walking with dogs in fields with cattle, the advice is to avoid getting between cows and their calves and to keep any dogs close and under effective control on a lead around cows and sheep. You should not hang onto your dog if you are threatened by cattle though – let it go, as the cattle will chase the dog.

Rubber_Buccaneer

in case of trouble let go of the lead, let the dog run as it will most likely run away

Sound advice which I learnt the hard way. Still have the (ripped) T-Shirt from the encounter, the dog returned to the pub without me. I’d never seen a cow attack a human until it was me in the air (I’m not counting being jumped by a bulling heifer, that’s just my animal magnetism 🙂 )

anagallis_arvensis

Owners are responsible for controlling their dogs. Makes sense to use a lead to control the dog in the vicinity of any farm animals. Being sensible does not put you in danger. The danger comes if the cattle are scared/provoked – leaving side whether this is more or less likely if a dog is on a lead – its at that point you {are recommended to) let them go to protect yourself.

A coward you are Withnail an expert on bulls cattle you are not.

From the NFU

If I want advice I will get it from somewhere other than a radical left wing union!!

Seriously I wouldnt walk through cows with a dog on a lead unless the dog had a chance of chasing or attacking the cows and in that case I would most likely just chose another route.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A coward you are Withnail an expert on bulls cattle you are not.

in English?

so, advice from a biology teacher of the union that represents farmers? Tough call… 😉

anagallis_arvensis

in English?

It is yes.

so, advice from a biology teacher of the union that represents farmers? Tough call

Your choice

benp1

Walking through a field of animals that are bigger than me, and having them all watch me, does give me the heebee geebies I have to say!

Good advice above ^^^ re letting go of lead, cheers. On a walk the lead is usually attached to my waist so I’ll adjust before walking in a field like that – it’s usually sheep that I come across, not cattle

anagallis_arvensis

Sheep unlikely to be a problem, although I have been attacked by an angry tup once!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

and a simple one. thanks

I walk at home and in the Lakes in areas were West Highland cattle roam freely. always gets the heart rate up a bit (lead or no lead)

anagallis_arvensis

When walking with dogs in fields with cattle, the advice is to avoid getting between cows and their calves and to keep any dogs close and under effective control on a lead around cows and sheep. You should not hang onto your dog if you are threatened by cattle though – let it go, as the cattle will chase the dog.

The difference though THM is I was simply saying what I do, knowing my dog and how it behaves. The NFU are giving advice to the general public, many of whom are complete idiots with dogs that they cannot control. Also the nfu’s advice is for livestock in general and the very fact that they say drop the lead of the dog if bothered by cows suggests to me not having it on a lead in the first place is a good idea if you know the dog will not chase or in my dogs case go within 10m of a cow.
    The last bit is bollocks too because often cattle will chase the oerson rather than the dog because they are hoping to get fed.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Dogs – sheep worrying’ is closed to new replies.