Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dog owners…your dog walking attire of choice?
  • vondally
    Free Member

so our dalmatian is now six months old and the user name gives a clue we have had Dalmatians before.

Noticed in this ownership or slightly forgotten the damage dog hair…dallys are serious molters, as well as dog general being (saliva, paws and muddy claws) causes on clothing especially reasonably expensive outdoor gear.

Most coats do not have the pockets in the right places or enough or too many. A lot of cheaper water proof clothing has the breathability of binbag, especially when walking a active breed but one that is still in training so some standing around.

So what is your dog walking clothing tips and recommendations?

p7eaven
    Free Member

Summer – shorts and tee. Jacket if chilly. Training shoes if dry

Winter – cagoule, hiking boots or wellies, trackies* or shorts and running tights.

If it’s foul I’ll be in gaiters.

* edit – True, cagoules don’t breathe so if extra-active then just layer and get damp instead . You’re outdoors, worry more about keeping warm for an hour. I’ve not found the cagoule problematic in the autumn/winter but our old dog is slow.

As for pockets, use a small satchel bag.

Who am I kidding, I’m looking forward to losing weight and upgrading to plus-fours 🧐

IHN

So what is your dog walking clothing tips and recommendations?

Overthink things much?

the-muffin-man

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Definitely over thing , no need to go and buy a whole new wardrobe

Having said that I did buy some cheap karrimor walking bits for walking the dog in winter.., and a boot drier helps

porter_jamie

old stuff i dont care about any more. winter generally wellies, neoprene lined ones for winners, and cheapo waterproof trousers from screwfix which look horrible but work and were very cheap, and my oldest jacket. summer, old walking shoes i dont care about any more and any old stuff i dont mind getting muddy and wet when the mutt goes swimming.

p7eaven
    Free Member

saliva, paws and muddy claws) causes on clothing especially reasonably expensive outdoor gear.

OP just *gasp* wear old clothes? Like most dog-owners learn to do 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Currently a pair of DCs, jeans, hoodie and depending whether its cold or not, TNF down gillet or Alpkit jacket. If its really cold, supplemented by a Leeds Lowfields bobble hat. If its a bit shitty, a pair of Karrimor walking boots.

bensales
    Free Member

White vest and pj bottoms is my neighbour’s choice.

But then he just boots his little rat out the front door at 7am and lets it shit in the street.

Or the other two neighbours who chuck their barking machines in the garden at 11pm without fail to do their business, I bet they wear anything.

tonyd

Overthink things much?

This! Just wear whatever you have that is most practical for the weather and place you are going to walk.

If you’ve had Dalmations before, what did you wear when you walked those? I’d imagine the same stuff would do this time round.

DezB
    Free Member

Most bizarre “Recommend me” thread evah.

onewheelgood

I was wondering about this the other day when I noticed how many people out to empty their dog felt it was necessary to wear hi-viz. Lots of hi-viz.

IHN

Most bizarre “Recommend me” thread evah.

I dunno, there was the “recommend me some shoes” one years ago, where they wanted some, you know, just, well, shoes for walking around in. And this was in the days where going to a shoe shop was still a normal thing.

vondally
    Free Member

Okay not sure it is the most bizarre thread evah Dezb…..been plenty of other ones…..
    Wearing old stuff now but find that it is surprising old and generally not waterproof on the case of coats,so needs replacing hence recommendation.

Wearing jeans, well wet and cold and being miserable is something I am not fond of, being on a fell and Moor for a couple of hours a day is something more than a pootle round the park so white vest out for a month or two till weather gets better.

Overthinking… Possibly but this is stw and many bike items get overthink I would suggest😁

irc

Best dog walking garment I have is a cheap £25ish Decathlon ski jacket. Cheap so no worries what happens to it. Warm enough that I don’t need to layer in cold weather. Decent hood. Big pockets. Black, so doesn’t show dirt too much.

jam-bo

DezB
    Free Member

..been plenty of other ones…

I’ve helped you out there. 😀
    Loving the dalmation outfit

fasthaggis

hunter

vondally
    Free Member

Fasthaggis…. surprisingly a good multitude of folk like that around on the fells, with shooting brakes as well.

vondally
    Free Member

Dezb …cheers replied😁

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Wellies and y-fronts, of course. Year round.

Sandwich

Round these parts whatever keeps the wind out on chilly days, usually some flavour/weight of Paramo jacket. Winter time windproof Montane trousers too. Been doing this long enough that getting wet/slobbery/mucky doesn’t faze us it just means the washing machine works harder.

When he’s out running with the bike appropriate cycling attire and a tool canister for the full pooh bags.

Anyway pics, you’ve been here long enough to know the rules!

TiRed

running with the bike

Going to be a slow ride with a dachshund 😀

I recommend a bag with dog things in it, rather than pockets. If the dog gets tired, you can carry it in the bag.

Disappointing to hear they are hair machines, I quite fancied one but I don’t like dog hair. Our spaniels have seldom shed much.

chakaping
    Free Member

25-year-old GoreTex jacket with lots of pockets if it’s wet.

Aldi fleecey-quilted workwear plaid jacket with lots of pockets if it’s dry.

Regatta walking trews or Aldi waterproof insulated trews depending on weather.

Walking boots.

Or just whatever I’m wearing if we’re not going in the woods.

willard

I gave up caring what I wore as long as, when it was raining, I stayed dry. So, ex-army goretex in a size too big and wellies. In the summer, just trainers and whatever was appropriate for the weather.

I found (and still do find) that I had dog poo bags in every pair of trousers and jacket I owned. Always pack one more than you think you will need. Maybe two.

Dog wil not care what you wear, so just make sure that you are comfortable.

squirrelking
    Free Member

At risk of actually answering the question, I have a pair of Decathlon snow hiking trousers that are fleece lined and keep the horizontal West Coast rain out when needed, otherwise just what I’m wearing. Snow boots for winter (again, decathlon fleece lined things) because they are ace in mud and I’ll be getting some approach shoes for summer. Trespass windproof jackets do the rest. Basically sensible walking kit.

As for “stuff” I have a shoulder bag to carry shite in (literally), treats go in the jacket pocket and the lead can go round me if he’s off it.

johndoh
    Free Member

The only ‘specific’ dog walking stuff I have is a cheap pair of waterproof walking shoes that I don’t care about getting dirty/wet etc. Everything else is simply whatever clothes I am wearing and an appropriate coat/hat/gloves/pocket warmer depending on the season.

footflaps

At risk of actually answering the question,

I can see you’re new here, so a word of advice. Never actually answer the OP’s question – it’s considered rude.

Scapegoat

I’ll bite

I’m out in all weathers for at least couple of hours every day. We tend to walk on South Pennines Moorland tracks, so good kit is essential. I wear a Paramo Halcon jacket (loads of really good pockets and infallible weatherproofing) or if it’s really, really arseing it down I have a Paramo Alta which can really batten down and keep everything out, a pair of Meindl boots (Guffert if you need to know model specifics) and a pair of either Seeland or Harkilla stalking trousers. Weatherproof and breathable, and with cargo pockets for bits and pieces. If it’s cold I’ll layer with a baselayer, fleece midlayer and an insulated Snugpak Softee if it drops below freezing. Hat and gloves depending on weather. Life’s too short to be cold wet and miserable, and dog-walking isn’t optional, so good kit can really make the difference.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners…your dog walking attire of choice?’ is closed to new replies.