Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Dog food…?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s time for him to go cold turkey…

Haha, Molly always has her’s before I leave for work. She gets so excited as I put on my hi-vis jacket as she know’s I’ll be buggering off soon and she can have her dentastix… never had a dog so excited to see me go 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Breakfast – 2 Weetabix, Bannana, Natural Yogurt.

Lunch – Carrot or 2

Tea – Either Tuna/Sardines/Chicken/Mince with Brocolli, Cauliflower, Courgette, Rice with Barley or Pasta

Evening Snack – Apple

prezet
    Free Member

How much do you guys pay for the James Wellbeloved kibble?

Although Molly loves the Lily’s stuff, I think we could move her kibble onto something a bit less expensive (£50 for 7.5kg).

willard

Seriously, consider Chudleys. Last sack of Original we bought was under 13 quid and it’s a good working dog food. It also has lots of bits of stuff in to keep them interested, although Ted has taken after me and barely tastes it as it is inhaled.

phil.w
    Free Member

£50 for 7.5kg

Wow!
    I feed my collie a working dog food that has no colourings or additives and it’s £12 for 15kg.

prezet
    Free Member

To be fair, that 7.5kg will last us about 4 months – as we only use the kibble in addition to her other food. However, yes, it does seem rather expensive 😯

jp-t853

I have a Whippet who will be 15 in March.

She gets a mixture of soft complete dry food and any tin of food as long as it is in gravy. We buy which ever is on offer at the time.

the-muffin-man

This is what our vet said to us about Bakers and the likes… when we got ours as a puppy she’d been on Bakers, and the vet told us to get her off it asap. The salt levels and additives were way too high.

…and then he directed you to the range of high quality pet foods available from their reception!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    DezB
    Tried my two on the Skinners on the recommendation of a colleague and had to leave the back door open for 3 days, Still got 1/2 a bag here

Ha! That’s what we’re like with anything else. Woman in the pet shop said we should try something else, but it’s certainly not doing her any harm.

skywalker
    Free Member

How much do you guys pay for the James Wellbeloved kibble?

Although Molly loves the Lily’s stuff, I think we could move her kibble onto something a bit less expensive (£50 for 7.5kg).

We get ours from here Prezet, delivery is really quick (and free I think), and its only £42 for 18kg which lasts our two dogs a month-ish.

Edit: more like 6 weeks in fact.

prezet
    Free Member

…and then he directed you to the range of high quality pet foods available from their reception!!!

Actually, no. We were quite capable of going to the pet store all on our own…

prezet
    Free Member

Cheers @skywalker – think I’ll grab a small bag, see if she takes to it. Being kibble, I can’t imagine she’ll notice any difference!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You should try Barking Heads. We’ve had fantastic results with our 3 boxers.
    All the figures show fewer ‘fillers’ and more protein for your £.
    They also get raw chicken wings (6 each per day)

amplebrew

Our Springer and Tibetan Terrier are on James Wellbeloved fish and rice kibble and they seem to love it.

We buy one of the large bags which lasts us a good few weeks.

d45yth
    Free Member
    stephen131
    Free Member

2 Chocalate Labs
    Pero Labrador life ,

nickf
    Free Member

Tried the James Wellbeloved, but my two prefer Iams, supplemented by some fresh meat most days (trimming from the kitchen) plus some vegetables. They both love carrot, broccoli, and cabbage, but don’t stand too close if they’ve eaten a lot of the latter.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Mrs Doubleu’s Dad is a vet, so she was insistent that Jeff, our Bernese Mountain dog, be on Hill’s Science Diet.

Gave him pretty loose bowels though periodically. Not had a problem since we tried a few others and eventually settled on Purina Pro Plan. I guess Jeff must have doggy IBS… You nay be better off finding one that suits your dog rather than fixing on a particular brand.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Burns

thegreatape
    Free Member

Currently ‘Meaty Special’ – £11 for a 15kg bag from the local pet shop. Used to get them posher stuff when they were new, but they eat frogs and deer turds and stuff, so what’s the point.

GTDave
    Free Member

Mrs Doubleu’s Dad is a vet, so she was insistent that Jeff, our Bernese Mountain dog, be on Hill’s Science Diet.

A lot of vet’s seem to recommend that, probably down to good aggressive marketing by the manufacturers. IMO it’s not the best of foods, but certainly not the worst.

A friend who is a vet said that the amount of time they have to spend covering dietary requirements of our canine friends is minuscule, so unless they have done additional study in their own time, tend to fall back on Hills.

Kibble is a recent ‘convenience’ food. Some of the brands are good, others are pretty crap. Go back 30-40 years or so and you’d probably find that up to that era most dogs were fed on a diet of scraps, offal and leftovers

Despite stocking Hills, ours promotes a good varied diet, a ‘bit of this and a bit of that’ approach.
    So our dog gets all-sorts from chicken frames (raw), blitzed veggie / fruit scraps, random meat (raw and cooked), veal knuckles, rabbit, tripe, heart, liver, venison bones, sprats, tuna etc etc.
    Plus the odd handful of Country Value Greyhound in his tug-a-jug.

He does really, really well on it, and it works out very cheap.

richc
    Free Member

Mine has (which is a 3 year old Spinone/Lab cross) James Welbeloved anything else seems to give him liquid shits.

If he has an upset stomach this gets topped up with Chappie which seems to sort it out.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Nature’s Menu (tins) + Burns dry food.

MrsToast
    Free Member

When we picked up Benny from the Dogs Trust, they gave us a huge bag of Arden Grange dog food, quite posh stuff. Then, looking slightly furtive, the woman handed me a tin of Morrisons wet dog food. “He likes a bit of this mixed in”.

He was quite underweight when we got him (and apparently had lost weight whilst he was in the Dogs Trust), so he was on 3 meals a day. We quickly discovered that, despite being ravenous, he would not touch the Arden Grange stuff. Tried him on a few different things – Bakers for a couple of days, but he went mental and… well, a bit sloppy. Looked at reviews, saw that Bakers was widely reviled and Chappie was quite popular, so he’s been on that ever since and it’s sorted him out. We’re currently giving him a mix of the Chappie wet and dry stuff.

We’d like to put him on the more nutritious higher quality stuff, but we’re worried he won’t eat it/it’ll give him the runs. Is there anywhere that does smaller tester packs?

z1ppy

Burns here now, he used to get working dog (dry) food from the local stables supplier (can’t remember the make), but as he gotten older.. he’s 12 now, he simply doesn’t need the energy.
    He has rawhide chews for his teeth, and a Pedigree Jumbone as a treat once a week… funniest thing ever was watching the TV ad for these, as there supposed to last the dog all day in the ad, he can destroy one in less than 5 minutes.

Any dog owners using wet food, I’d suggest you try the dry stuff, simply to make poo picking an ‘nicer’ experience

GTDave
    Free Member

We’d like to put him on the more nutritious higher quality stuff, but we’re worried he won’t eat it/it’ll give him the runs. Is there anywhere that does smaller tester packs?

Some brands do testers, some don’t, usually 400g bags for a couple of quid:

Orijen: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=793&pf_id=50348

Green Dog: http://greendogfood.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=39

As kibble’s go, our dog found the more expensive brands ‘boring’ and would often just leave them. The only one he did enjoy as a full-time food was Royal Canin. If / when you do decide to switch his food over, do it gradually over a week or so, especially if his tummy is sensitive.

cozz
    Free Member

used james wellbeloved fro my chow chow for few years , now use Harringtons, currently £14.95 a BIG bag from Asda (rollback)

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have a 6 year old whippet…..such a fussy eater, he wouldnt eat dog food at the time of weaning….we had to give him scrambled egg just to get him to eat…. hes funny with his eating times : wont eat his tea time meal till 9 or 10pm at nite…so funny… anyway he is on winalot and a mixer biscuit with..likes grated cheese and loves chicken and scrambled eggs.

infidel
    Free Member

We feed our 3 yr old Vizsla Orijen. It is very expensive but he looks good on it, has solid poo and very rarely guffs. I did have a ‘moment’ about the cost earlier this year and tried to switch him to different brands but guffs went up and he then went off his food so we are back to the worlds most ££ dog food. He looks good on it and quite frankly he’s worth it.

irelanst
    Free Member

Ours was on science plan from being a pup with a handful of veg thrown in. For the last few weeks we’ve been trying a RAW diet, it’s not for the squeamish and takes a bit of effort (and a spare chest freezer) but the dog seems to love it and we aren’t getting anything like as much coming out of the back end.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

My dog has expensive tastes. We have tried loads of the above but the one she likes the best is Lilys Kitchen/ Symply mix. It’s the food that she gets really exited for.

Sandwich

We have found Orijen and Akana foods to be equivalent in cost to Wellbeloved. This is based on cost per meal, there is so much protein in it that you feed less. A 13 kg bag of either lasts a couple of days longer than the 15kg Wellbeloved food. We keep him off anything with barley in it as this causes skin conditions. (Wellbeloved did put some in their formulation when Mars took over, I’m not sure if this is still the case).
    25kg Dalmatian who’s 5, thinks he’s 18 months still, and eats like a turbo-charged vacuum cleaner!

Bimbler
    Free Member

We’ve tried Orijen which was very good but spenderific, so looking for a cheaper grain free alternative we found High Prairie by Taste of The Wild, it’s American but can be bought on the internets, it’s still spendy in comparison to some of the regular brands but as Sandwich said above the cost per meal is not all that different as you have to feed them a lot less. Plus I like the idea of my hound eating Bison and Venison.

There is a British brand which is 75% meat, and no cereals, Applaws, but a total chicken diet proved to be Barney’s craptonite.

tracknicko
    Free Member

met these guys recently. switched our lab to this food from James Wellbeloved.

Meet all same standards and concepts as JW, but £18 delivered rather than £40…

Homepage – Default

MrNero50
    Free Member

9 Month old Cocker. Gets a 50/50 mix of Orijen and Wainwrights. I spent ages looking into food and because we want him to eventually run with the bikes, they seemed to offer the best in turns of meat based protein.

Also gets a few Markies, a Dentastick, a raw carrot, bit of raw hide and a fish block.

Still costs less than £2 a day, which to be honenst is less than a take out coffee so bargin if it gives him a good diet.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

My dog has expensive tastes. We have tried loads of the above but the one she likes the best is Lilys Kitchen/ Symply mix. It’s the food that she gets really exited for.

I know what you mean…

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Dog food…?’ is closed to new replies.