Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Dog food…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What do all you dog owners feed your dogs?

Karinofnine

James Wellbeloved or Burns for a six year old female Dobermann.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My ma breeds and shows, probably the best kennel of the breed in the country, 20 dogs atm, she feeds a VAT free greyhound maintenance complete food. Costs about £7 a bag. Dogs look really well on it and she wouldnt feed it if it didnt suit them.

Drac

My dog get Iams, he has a skin complain and when we adopted him he was on canned rubbish. As well as making him fart like a trooper I don’t think it was helping him. He loves the Iams, but then he literally eats any food except lettuce, and because he’s small it lasts ages. He has a lovely gloss coat, is well built, sparkly eyes and loads of energy so must be ok.

cupra
    Free Member

Wilsons and Wagg Worker – around £11 for a 15kg and 17kg bag respectively. Have used them both for around 20 years with good results and no ‘wind’.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Burns, and loads of fresh (cooked) veg…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Our working cocker was on James Welbeloved and it seemed to help with a squitty bum issue she had when a puppy. £40 a bag is proper steep though and at the moment she’s on a cheaper brand but may change back (not for squitty bum reasons).

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

We feed our Lab, and Bernese Mountain Dog, Arden Grange.

xcgb
    Free Member

What dog?
    makes a big difference with activity levels etc

Springers should have very different food compared to mastiffs for example!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Symply
    Dog food reviews says it’s good and Dottie enjoys it so all good.

Clicky for dog food reviews. Others are available.

prezet
    Free Member

I’ll get completely flamed for this, but our dog eats better than us I reckon with this stuff: http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/

This morning, she had Goose and Duck feast with Fruits, a small portion of boiled rice, and some kibble.

ton

iams.
    for a very sleek and slender 4yr old labby bitch.

LeeW

We’ve pretty much always used Berrimans for our Lurcher and Tumbler, never had a problem with it. Had a dally with Autarky for a while which was pretty good too, just difficult to get hold of.

Vet always comments on how well they look and how good their teeth are.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Both the dog & cat are fed science plan.

The dog will eat anything really but the cat won’t!!

He was on pedigree chum when we adopted him, but he is noticeably more active and has a better coat with the science plan.

From what i’ve read James Wellbeloved is also good stuff.

drewfus
    Free Member

we feed our bull terrier minced tripe and biscuit mixer, its what she was on at the rescue kennels.. she loves it. sometimes she gets fresh tripe from the butchers.

Del

the ex-GF used to give my spaniel james wellbeloved. now my housing outgoings have doubled i’m reluctant to spend that much. we’re moving over to wagg VAT free at about 11 quid. seems happy enough.
    compared the ingredients and couldn’t tell the difference. want to look after my dog but i’d need a pretty convincing case to get me to send 4 times as much on her food.

Dolcered

We use skinners, salmon variety. 5 year old GSD. Lovely shiny coat.

soobalias
    Free Member

James Wellbeloved – 6yo Male Dobermann

falkirk-mark

Tesco own brand 5 y.o lab

Woody
    Free Member

Royal Canin for the two Labs. Damned expensive but they’ve been on it since they were pups and anything else makes them fart like troopers but they do look well on it.

skiprat
    Free Member

Morrisons own dry. Dog is an 11(ish) year old Pointer/cross. Bit of extra cod liver oil on it to help with his joints but he’s fine on it and has been for a few years now.

JonBoy
    Free Member

My dads 2 great danes, they are fed a mix of good dry food and whole rabbits. One of the chickens escaped so that got eaten too. Really not amused by that but think it was a very quick death.

niloC
    Free Member

Nature Diet for 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs, we get it direct from them but it’s also in Pets at Home.

the-muffin-man

Whatever is on offer in the supermarket!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Feed our ridgie blocks of prize choice raw meat we get from pets at home. Come frozen and various flavers: lamb, beef, chicken, rabbit. Add some mixer biscuits into it aswell. Two to three times a week we also give him half a side of lambs ribs ( sometimes more if he has a show coming up, depending on his condition ) Giving him the lamb bones reduces the amount of times he has to have his glands emptied because the bones help to push out the gunk.

DezB
    Free Member

Pointer with a delicate stomach – she has Skinners Ruff & Ready.
    It’s the only thing we’ve found that keeps the fart level off the geiger counter.

(oh, of course if C_G reads this we also feed her raw fillet steak twice a week 😉 )

jimster
    Free Member

Our boys get –

Chappie Biscuits
    Chappie Meat (once or twice a week) Lab loves it!!
    Labrador Pero
    Liver and Mash (Homemade)

Woody
    Free Member

DezB

Tried my two on the Skinners on the recommendation of a colleague and had to leave the back door open for 3 days, Still got 1/2 a bag here 😐

skywalker
    Free Member

James Wellbeloved for ours.

Feeding your dog cheap supermarket food is the equivalent of you eating McDonalds everyday – no offence to anyone who does.

willard

Chudleys Original for Ted (four year old working Springer) and a 50/50 mix of Chudleys and wet feed for Ralph (two year old working Cocker).

prezet
    Free Member

Feeding your dog cheap supermarket food is the equivalent of you eating McDonalds everyday

This is what our vet said to us about Bakers and the likes… when we got ours as a puppy she’d been on Bakers, and the vet told us to get her off it asap. The salt levels and additives were way too high.

We moved onto science plan, which she didn’t really take too. Then moved onto the lily’s kitchen stuff.

For breakfast she normally gets 1 weetabix with a bit of water mashed into it. Then a small handful of kibble, and a treat just before I leave for work.

Then for dinner, she has 1/3rd can of Lily’s, handful of boiled rice, and a half handful of kibble. Then maybe a couple of small biscuits in the evening.

Being a border terrier she doesn’t eat a huge amount. I think if we had a bigger dog, there’d be no way I could afford to feed her the Lily’s food.

user-removed
    Free Member

Depends which supermarket I end up in really. Our lurcher / terrier X gets half a tin of meat (Pedigree, Bakers, Winalot) with a large scoop of dried stuff (whatever’s half decent and on offer). He also gets a packet of liver or lungs each week, which is cut into strips, fried and doled out over three or four days.

Several biscuits on his walkies too, and a dentastick every night, which he still goes completely mental for 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

dentastick every night, which he still goes completely mental for

Ours does too, it’s her favourite treat – although I try to limit how often she has them. Maybe they’re like crack for dogs.

Del

how, exactly?
    most dry dog food appears to be mainly rice.
    what makes james wellbeloved better?
    genuinely interested to know.

mrflaky
    Free Member

2 year old Border Collie, he gets Burns and regular fresh chicken wings to clean his teeth.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

My cat has dry food from Orijen and raw food from Honey’s (formally Darlings).

To all dog/cat owners, the Orijen is really high quality dry food…look into it…especially cat owners, because it contains no cereal.

user-removed
    Free Member

Maybe they’re like crack for dogs.

Yep – Mrs Removed says I have turned the dog into an addict 😀 It’s the only time he’s really, very annoying. About half an hour after his food, he’ll come and sit in front of me, just staring. He then starts squeaking, very softly. Eventually, this gives way to demanding, sharp, high-pitched barks and I fetch his dentastick.

Perhaps it’s time for him to go cold turkey…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We used to use Burns for our two Collies, until we ran out on holiday last year and bought a bag of Wilson’s Complete Working Dog food – the dogs love it and it seems to be much the same stuff as Burns, only less processed, as it looks more like meusli rather than little crunchy cubes. It also has the advantage of being £1 per kilo, rather than £3 per kilo for Burns or James Wellbeloved.

The only downside we’ve discovered to using it is that I have to mop up behind them in the garden straight away, as the magpies love picking apart their poo for the bits of undigested cereal!

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. In answer to above question, we haven’t bought the dog yet but it’s looking like being a Lakeland terrier.

julioflo
    Free Member

16mth old Border Terrier
    James Wellbeloved – on the principle that it has few/less sugars and additives [can’t quote without looking at packet]
    and the occasional tin of redic exp Lily’s Kitchen, but this is only when my wife passes a certain shop….
    But he doesn’t eat much and it seems to last for ages!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Dog food…?’ is closed to new replies.