Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dog bothy bed?
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

Just wondering what you dog owners use for your mutts to sleep on in bothys?

Camping is easy, they are in the confines of a tent so just get a blanket each, and a 3/4 length thermarest to share if we are winter camping.

But bothy trips are proving difficult. With the space a bothy gives they won’t willingly share a thermarest and dog beds that are small enough to carry aren’t thick enough to be comfy on wooden floors. The result is that I get the annoying tap tapping of two disgruntled dogs pacing around on bare floor boards all night, or scraping at their thin beds to try and get comfy.

Ruffwear do a travel bed but at £69 for one it is out of my price range. I have considered two old down sleeping bags (no good when wet), two old pertex bags (too bulky / heavy). I am presently thinking I need to splash out on a second 3/4 thermarest, but before I do what does anyone else use?

Are my dogs just too fussy / spoilt?

scotroutes

Yes

geoffj

for you and the dogs. Leave the bothy for those without mutts.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Our dog quite happily used to sleep upside down on the (wooden) staircase, are dogs that fussed about what they sleep on?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Thought so 😉 Spoilt mutts!

@ Geoffj – I do have a tent with me (always) in case I have unwanted company, but so far I have been able to avoid having to use it. Bothys just make life a little more comfortable / midge free.

nickjb
    Free Member

What about a seat themarest or are they a bit small? Went to an outdoor shop in Denver that had a whole doggy camping section. I’m sure they would’ve had something

EDIT: here http://www.rei.com/c/dog-gear?tx=C

flowerpower
    Free Member

Cheers nick.

I thought that the thermarest seats were just straps which converted a full thermarest to a chair… But the idea is good to make a thicker bed out of the 3/4 thermarest – cheers.

the website is good – there is a similar one based in Edinburgh called RUFFIT but they don’t seem to do lightweight beds as such.

Thanks for the help 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

It’s been a while but I used to use a cheap old fashioned foam roll mat which I halved in two and taped together again to form more of a square. My dog was more than happy on that.

welshfarmer

My dogs sleep down the shed on a bit of old conveyor belt.

Well they used too. Now they have somehow managed to get in the house and have gradually moved from the downstairs bathroom to the living room sofa! But then they are getting on a bit and have worked damn hard for me over the years and have earned it.

anagallis_arvensis

A bit of vet bed does mine and she is a very boney lurcher who likes a soft bed.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As long as they carry it themselves, they should be able to take whatever they want.

bearGrease

Leave the bothy for those without mutts.

Exactly. It’s bad enough having “trail dogs” crapping all over the place without finding a stinking turd producing mutt in a bothy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

OP if I arrived at a bothy to find a dog there i’d let it sleep on me thats free warmth!

matt_outandabout

What about taking an old tent inner with you – pop thermarests and blankets in, pop dogs in and zip up?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Okay, thanks folks.

AA – vet bed is a good shout, thanks!

I do carry a tent and will happily use it if any one objects to the dogs, but so far I have been lucky enough to have them all to myself (or with my BF). We plan pretty carefully to make sure we’re out if the grockle hotspots.

Thanks for the suggestions, my main concern is size / weight as I struggle to carry my own winter kit for 2/3 day trips without adding to much dog kit.

Thanks for the suggestions, it gives me some ideas 🙂

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Are my dogs just too fussy / spoilt?<

Yup.

Bet you’ve got them in wee jackets as well?

flowerpower
    Free Member

To be fair they are pretty tough. They live outside year round in a kennel (with a bed of course 😉 ) and only come into the house at night.

Camping isn’t an issue, the ground is soft and they just curl up and sleep. But on a hard wooden floor – no way :/

So far a piece of old foam roll mat with a vet bed top is my winner. Will give it a shot.

matt_outandabout

Get the dogs to carry their own kit – lots of folk have the, carry their own food in the side pouches and roll mat or bed on top.

footflaps

Get the dogs to carry their own kit

Even better, get them to carry your kit as well!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dog bothy bed?’ is closed to new replies.