Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does iPhone Location Services use Data Roaming whilst abroad?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

I want to use my iPhone ‘Cyclemeter’ App to track my daily rides on holiday in France over a 2week period.. . but not if it’s going to cost £200+ (or summit) for data roaming charges.

The App requires ‘Location Services’ to be switched on.

Does anyone know whether apps like this use Data Roaming and will I be running up a huge bill?

jota180
    Free Member

Isn’t it something like £37.50 Max for data roaming now?

iolo
    Free Member

it will cost you a fortune

jfletch
    Free Member

The above is tosh.

Location services won’t use data if data roaming is switched off. It just uses the GPS built into the phone.

The only way you will get any charges is if you turn data roaming on to download maps or something but these aren’t needed to track.

legolam
    Free Member

Jfletch is correct. No charges if data roaming is off. You will track the route but won’t be able to view online maps (eg the googlemaps picture that cyclemeter provides).

brant
    Free Member

The maps app on iPhone does cache map details which you can load in via wifi before you start. Not sure of capacity but have used it when travelling in Europe for directions with data roaming turned off, having “loaded up” at hotel on wifi.

jam-bo

Gps takes longer to get a first fix if data is switched off but will work just fine.

GrahamS

jfletch is correct. GPS does not use data.

I’d recommend using MotionX GPS.
    This lets you download a large area of map, at various zoom levels, while you are still at home on wifi. That way you can record GPS tracks AND have a useful map, without using any data out there.

Digger90
    Free Member

Super-duper folks – many thanks!

I don’t use background maps – just it Cyclemeter to track distance/time/avg speed etc…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does iPhone Location Services use Data Roaming whilst abroad?’ is closed to new replies.