Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Does being skinny mean you get more colds and bugs?
  • carbon337
    Free Member

My mother and granny are constantly giving me grief for being too skinny. However I do seem to be onto my 3rd cold since september.

Is the old wives tales of needing meet on your bones in winter true? Do they have a point?

I’m not intentionally skinny but race CX and have just finished a season of 3rd and 2nd cat road racing.

32yrs old 70kg at 5’10”. Eat loads of food but train on turbo twice a week and race cross at weekends.

Taff
    Free Member

You probably get colds because you go gung ho cycling and don’t look after yourself… like me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep i think diet (loads of food , but is it loads of nutritionally balanced food or just quantities of crap*) plays a huge part in illness.

I dont think skinny/fat has much to do with it although being healthy and keeping warm will help keep your immune system in tact.

some people are just more prone to colds than others though.

* says the guy whos been living for 3 weeks on bread , cheese , crisps , chocolate and coke as the local food here consists largely of onions and not much else it seems

how ever ive made sure to get plenty sleep and refrain from doing any physical activity that may lower my immune system even further !

carbon337
    Free Member

Trail Rat, yep normally fairly healthy stuff, veg, fresh food we dont use any jars or pre prepared sauces etc. Lots of wholemeal bread, eggs, nuts, raisins that kind of whole food stuff.

I think your last point may be most important. Im probably not recovering since the first one I had

binners

The answer to cold-free enlightenment lies here…

As you’re handed your 4 pack of large sausage rolls, you’ll notice how healthy everyone around you looks 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

Binners ^ Ive been there before – was a regular haunt of mine.

Two years ago today i was 100kg.

Coyote
    Free Member

binners = Nutrition Consultant

br
    Free Member

Granny always use to say “Feed a cold, starve a Fever”.

No one ever got a Fever 🙂

And my ‘porkier’ friends always seem to suffer with colds, so no.

binners

I’m a right fat knacker, out on my bike in all weathers and haven’t had a cold for ages*

* this may, or may not be a direct result of pasty consumption

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m older, skinnier, taller and weigh less than you and can’t remember when I last had a cold, in fact I haven’t had one this year at all, I eat well and not a big drinker, cycle a fair bit but not as much as you.
    I guess not working in a stuffy aircon office with pale mouthbreathers and having nothing to do with snotty little kids probably helps. The house is a bit damp and the thermo never goes higher than 17.5, dunno if that has a bearing on not getting colds.
    Cycling definitely has something to do with it, I didn’t start until I was 30 and the amount of colds went down as I cycled more.

footflaps

Susceptibility to colds is a complex issue: genetics, lifestyle, diet, environment…

You can’t just narrow it down to one thing.

Environment also plays the biggest role in being exposed to cold germs eg having young kids seems to be the biggest risk factor….

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’m very similar to you. 5’9″ and 70g. A few weeks before the start of the cross season I increased the intensity of my training to involve more HIIT sessions and from that I caught a chesty cold a week before the start of the season. I ignored it and raced through it only to catch a head cold a week after clearing the previous one.

Thankfully once that went I have managed to stay cold free, but one thing I do do now is take 1000mg of Vit c every morning in the form of an effervescent. Might be coincidence but haven’t had any troubles since.

carbon337
    Free Member

Sounds fairly similar situation :

A few weeks before the start of the cross season I increased the intensity of my training to involve more HIIT sessions and from that I caught a chesty cold a week before the start of the season. I ignored it and raced through it only to catch a head cold a week after clearing the previous one.

Hopefully it goes soon. Got another race on Sunday.

Suppose in the meantime I should get some vitamin stuff. Whats an effervescent?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The house is a bit damp”

I lived in a damp rental for a year.

That year i had all sorts of respiritory issues.

I moved out into a non damp place and suddenly it was like having new lungs installed !

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Whats an effervescent?

Clicky

carbon337
    Free Member

^ ah i see what you did there eh eh … I like it

“But people exposed to periods of high stress, like marathon runners, could reduce their risk of catching colds by half if they took the vitamin daily.”

gonefishin
    Free Member

but one thing I do do now is take 1000mg of Vit c every morning in the form of an effervescent. Might be coincidence but haven’t had any troubles since.

It is a coincidence. Mega dose of Vitamin C does nothing to prevent you from getting a cold.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Oh well, taste nice anyway. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

32yrs old 70kg at 5’10”

I’m 35yrs old, 66kg and 5’11”. Almost never get colds. Only had flu once, 7 years ago.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m not skinny and get a cold just by someone saying the word.
    My last one was just before the end of September, just before the cross season. That became a cough.
    Just had a very wet cold ride Sunday and now I’m using all of Tescos stock of tissues.
    I’m sensible enough and this has been a problem for decades. I can only pin it down to two things. I’m a very poor sleeper and, and maybe because I work very long hours. Though I’ve just done my last Saturday, so no more six day weeks which might help, but my week excluding any breaks was still over 70 hours and random i.e 5am start one day and a 10pm finish the next. I don’t think any of my jobs have ever combined well with cycling.

clubber
    Free Member

Short answer to the OP is yes. Slightly longer is that it’s only if you’re proper skinny – like sub 5% IIRC which is getting towards TdF contender territory so that’s probably not the issue.

Hard training supresses the immune system so make sure you take care of yourself after training, wash hands regularly and all the other OCD type behaviours 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

I used to get lots of colds, now I’m with the vitamin programme (berocca but there are many alternatives) and I’m now virtually cold free. I got into it when speaking to semi-pro footballers who used to serve behind the bar and who take various supplements (inc C and zinc). They cannot afford to catch a cold each and everytime they get soaked at training.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve been regularly swimming in cold water (last week it was 25 minutes in 9 degree water). There has been some research that suggested that extreme cold adaptation might improve your immune system response. I am experimenting with whether this is true.

As I understand it, the thing about cold viruses is that if the germs get into your nose or wherever, you have a 95% chance of catching them, pretty much independent of how strong your immune system is. Hence why us with small kids tend to get quite so many colds no matter what.

So the only measure is how long it takes to get rid of them.

In the last month, I’ve had three colds, which seem to have lasted less than a week each, with gaps in which I have swum, done a running race, biked to work etc.

So I haven’t had the long stretches of no exercise that I had last year, but I have had a bunch of colds. So I’m currently a bit inconclusive on my experiment. It certainly feels jolly good to jump in the river in winter though, so I guess I’ll keep doing it whatever.

Joe

Cut milk out of your diet.

Post nasal drip is another possible answer; i had a snotty nose for about 20 years.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

However I do seem to be onto my 3rd cold since september

I tend to get through winter either cold free or with a string of them. Suspect that after the first you’re slightly weakened and more likely to get another.

retro83
    Free Member

Joe – Member
    Cut milk out of your diet.

Post nasal drip is another possible answer; i had a snotty nose for about 20 years.

Are you saying that cutting out milk stopped the drip ? if not what was the cure?

Drac

Well I’m about 6′ 2″ and weigh only about 10.5 stone, I honestly can’t remember when I last had a cold.

mudshark
    Free Member

This year has been my worst ever for colds and general illness – even got a cold in the summer….

andrewhowell
    Free Member

Sensitive skin always affected by cold. So need to protect more from the cold.

redted
    Free Member

A good quality one a day Zinc tablet and Echinacia drops 4 times a day as soon as I start to feel symptoms coming on and stop taking a few days after symptoms persist. Not had a proper cold in 3 years despite having 2 kids at nursery/school.
    Saying that I’ve lost nearly 3 stone this year and I’m bloody freezing since this recent cold snap!

smell_it
    Free Member

34, 5’9 and 64kg; I also can’t remember when I had my last cold. My diet is a little hit and miss meal wise and I do like a drink, but I do tend to be munching some form of fruit every waking hour. I’m out riding and racing 4-6 times a week in all weathers and put in a fair few miles. But I don’t ride CX 😀

soulwood
    Free Member

Young children certainly pushes the odds up for having a cold. I could count on one hand the amount of colds I had during my time as an adult from the age of 18 to fatherhood at 32. Since then I’ve been plagued by all kinds of miserable illnesses, tonsilitis, sinusitis, chest infections, pneumonia and numerous coughs and colds, even in summer! Can’t wait for my youngest to grow out of the perma-snot phase and give me a friggin break!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Increase your personal hygiene by washing your hands more frequently, use anti bacterial hand gel periodically throughout the day and really try to avoid touching your face… especially your eyes, nose and mouth. you pick up most viruses on your hands and rub them into your eyes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Increase your personal hygiene by washing your hands more frequently, use anti bacterial hand gel periodically throughout the day and really try to avoid touching your face… especially your eyes, nose and mouth. you pick up most viruses on your hands and rub them into your eyes.

At last a sensible answer….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I read somewhere that super skinny people get more colds as being unturaly skinny weakens your imune system. But averagely (well average is now obease, but you know what I mean) are less likely to get ill. But fatties fight off illness quicker. IIRC it was true for everything from the common cold through to the big stuff like cancer and strokes. Healthy people are less likely to get them, but they’re more likely to get them worse.

It is a coincidence. Mega dose of Vitamin C does nothing to prevent you from getting a cold.

It also gives you bladder stones as all that Vit-C you’re pissing out isn’t so soluable in urine.

KonaTC

According to theNHS Live Well website it can increase your risk: 😯

If you’re underweight, you could be damaging your health. Weighing too little can contribute to a weakened immune system, fragile bones and a lack of energy.

Why it matters

Being underweight is bad news for your health now and in the future:

• Lack of energy. Being underweight can leave you feeling drained and tired. You may have anaemia (a lack of red blood cells) because you’re not consuming enough iron.
    • Nutritional deficiencies. If you’re underweight, you may be lacking vital nutrients that your body needs to grow and work properly. Calcium, for example, is important for the maintenance of strong and healthy bones. Being underweight increases the risk of osteoporosis (fragile bone disease) later in life.
    Weakened immune system. Your immune system is not 100% when you’re underweight, making you more likely to catch a cold, the flu or other infections.

oldgit
    Free Member

That’ll refer to people that are underweight because they don’t eat (probably)

BadlyWiredDog

I read somewhere that

Right… 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good thread.

Me, 5.10, in me 40’s and 74kgs at the mo. Fit as though not as fit as you Mr Carbon, lack of training at present.. Blah, blah blah.
    Back int he day I too was like you and would train all hours that God sent down to me. Never had colds nor flu. Soon as I stopped training I’d catch them all.

I think fatigue play a huge part, over work your body and it’ll respond by slowing you down, catching colds slows you down.

Take a rest.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I read somewhere that

Right…

Cycling weekly IIRC had the abridge version, haven’t got my athens password anymore to find the original.

The conlcusion was that fatties have more energy reserves so when they get ill (whther mild or seriously) they recover quicker. But they’re still more likely to be ill in the first palce.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Does being skinny mean you get more colds and bugs?’ is closed to new replies.