Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Should i buy a Nexus 7
  • stevelolly
    Free Member

Looking to buy a tablet for surfing the net etc instead of shutting myself away upstairs on the pc and was wondering what you all think to the Nexus . Also up for a phone upgrade in the next few days that is likely to be Android based so thought the 2 would work well together . Also noticed that Amazon are launching the new Fire HD shortly , could this be worth waiting for ?
    Wife has already got an Ipad 2 which i like , but it is hers as she’s been hinting at alot lately , but i don’t want to spend that kind of money .

dh
    Free Member

Amazon uses a different marketplace by default, so your app purchases from your android phone won’t show up on your amazon tablet. You will probably be able to root it soon thought to avoid that.

Personally if it was me, I would wait until we here what the price of windows 8 tablet will be, might be quite good that…if price is competitive.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

The Nexus is really nice and a great buy @ £200, having said that i’m selling a barely used Dell streak 7 for a fraction of that! 😉

Cougar

How much?

speed12
    Free Member

Been playing with my Dads Nexus 7 this weekend and it’s a very impressive bit of kit. I have an iPad myself an the Nexus is as good if not better in some ways. Wasn’t convinced by a 7″ screen originally but it fits very nicely in the hand. Screen is great, very quick, feels great. And great price!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

How much?

£125ono

spacemonkey

iPad Mini possibly being announced this week. Not necessarily the best fit with an Android phone but I’d certainly hang fire for a few more days anyway.

dlr

Whats the nexus like for viewing STW mag in pdf format? I tried it on a netbook with only slightly lower resolution and couldnt get on with it

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Depends on your urge to have it Now. Give it a while and your choices will be wider and cheaper.

Tom-B
    Free Member

If your phone is up for renewal you should get one for free bundled with a 24 month contract-I just have, and it is charging as I type!

stevelolly
    Free Member

If your phone is up for renewal you should get one for free bundled with a 24 month contract-I just have, and it is charging as I type!

Where from Tom B , and what phone / price ?

Cheers

hora
    Free Member

Ditto??

footflaps

I’d wait a bit as it won’t be long till we have a few more tablets released for Xmas and everyone adjusts their prices to try and ensure they can sell against the iPad in Q4.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Nexus 7 is a nice bit of kit- fast and smooth. The 7 inch screen is great for reading books but not so good for web browsing- if you put an unzoomed web page on the screen the characters are too small to read and you have to then zoom in and start navigating up, down and side to side around the page with gestures. 10 inch screen is much better for surfing as when you put the whole width of the page across the screen the characters are big enough to read and you just have to scroll up and down which I find a much better browsing experience.

Personally I’m holding fire and hoping Google come out with the Nexus 10 soon which I think they’ll have to to answer Amazons Kindle HD 10 incher.

hora
    Free Member

Reading further into the carphonewarehouse deal its a compromised bundle. Phones are slow for source unless you use a home wifi.

miketually
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the cheaper Nexus 7? Only difference seems to be 8GB storage instead of 16GB, but it’s only 75% of the price.

andypaul99
    Free Member

On my nee us RIT now only trouble is The tough screen isn’t s quick to react as some others

Prime example of this above!! 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

My Nexus 7 was sticking in the lower gears and then changing up randomly. 4th gear was making nasty cracking noises under load. I took it out of the hub, gave it all a good lube with gearbox oil and it now changes nicely. However the cracking noises in 4th gear under load continue. Any ideas?

Gribs

The cheaper model isn’t that much cheaper as it’s only available from Google and you have to pay £10 for delivery whereas the 16gb model can be ordered elsewhere with free delivery.

Jamie
    Free Member

Any ideas?

Yes. None of them can be uttered in polite society, though.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I got mine through mobile.co.UK galaxy s2 plus nexus on voda with 600 minutes unlimited texts and 1gb data. 33 quid per month. You can get much better deals on orange though. Unfortunately I don’t get a signal at home on Orange so had to opt for the voda deal. Well chuffed though, and the tablet is awesome. (Typed from my nexus):-)

hora
    Free Member

That deals now gone (checked). Bugger the S2 isn’t a bad phone/combo to have in that situation 🙁

Dobbo

Got mine yesterday, the new version of Android is so slick it’s a pleasure to use. Also as I use Gmail, Google Calender, Picasa and Play it just syncs and fits straight in.

You can manage all your apps from your PC using play over the wirless as well which is great for browsing and managing all the apps.

Great for gaming doing Osmos HD on it is a real time waster…

For the price I don’t see what there is to loose getting it now, if something significantly better comes out in 6 months time I’ll get that and give this to the GF as a “present” 😆

hora
    Free Member

Question (I’m not very good techy) – if I buy a Nexus 7 – is it easy to link up to my separate 3g phone to use the mobile’s internet allowance – is it easy/just a simple cable/synch? Thinking of getting a S2 on 3 and buy the Nexus cash. If I was to use the phones internet connection on the Nexus would I use the phones processor speed as well? (bad).

Dobbo

On the phone set the wireless as a hotspot give it a name and key then just connect the Nexus to the phones wireless network (same as any other wireless network).

I use the GF’s S2 on Orange to do it, works well.

EDIT: the 3G would limit the speed not he phones processor I would imagine.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Should i buy a Nexus 7’ is closed to new replies.