• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gray.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Does anyone use a TACX Vortex trainer with a PC?
  • welshfarmer

If so are you using it with 3rd party software (Zwift, etc) ??

All the official bumf about the trainer suggests you need to purchase the “Tacx Upgrade Smart” to use the trainer with a PC. Is that right? Or can you just use any Ant+ dongle and pair it with 3rd party software to get simulated control of the brake?

mattjg
    Free Member

I have a Vortex Smart, is it the same?

Like this: https://www.tacx.com/products/trainers/vortex-smart

It works fine with Zwift and an Ant+ dongle, though I use a chainstay sensor for cadence not the Vortex’s dodgy estimate.

welshfarmer

Sorry yeah , I meant the Vortex smart. So no extra bits required other than the Ant+ dongle to link to computer (which I have) and all my ant+ sensors that work with my Garmin 520.

Anyone else have one? Problems, issues, opinions welcome

mattjg
    Free Member

No other bits. I use a USB extension cable so the dongle is close to the Vortex.

iPhone app for calibrating the Vortex. Can’t get my Android phone to pick it up.

jate
    Free Member

I use an iGenius but the principle is the same and yes you can use it with any ANT+ compatible software.
    Having said that I quite like the Tacx software as you can use it with their RLVs. Once you have set the trainer up properly they are rather more engaging than a simple training program and quite accurate (on the non-scientific basis that the cols on Tacx feel very similar to my memories of the real thing!).

gray

I have one too. Works fine with my Android phone, but I mostly use TrainerRoad on a PC. Mine has a bit of a fault but generally I think it’s pretty good for the money.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone use a TACX Vortex trainer with a PC?’ is closed to new replies.