Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Does anyone still ride with bar ends at all?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I love a good bar end.

Does anyone on here still ride with them at all? I’ll admit I haven’t had any for a few years now and on tonight’s local xc loop I really wanted some. Can anyone suggest a pair i should be looking at. I’d snap a pair of X-Lite stubbie pros if they were still making them.

And if you have any pics of your bikes with bar ends too please 🙂

fatmax

I’ve got a flat barred Singular Swift and Canyon CF 29er both with Specialized Overendz on them. Great rubberized finish to them.
    And got some XLite bar ends in the garage you can maybe have, off my Orange Clockwork ’93?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought about some the other day while out on the HT. I get pretty bad pains in my elbows after a few miles which did take some enjoyment out of the ride, I had a thought about sticking bar ends on after a long period without them.
    (I’ve had the same bars on for donkeys years but lately my elbows have been giving me grief)

jam-bo

TOGS..

scotroutes

Cane Creek Ergos AND Togs 🙂

DickBarton

Yes, but not on the bike I ride most of the time…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yep.

It’s nice to be able to switch position on long rides. I use Controltech.

davosaurusrex

Hijack! Got some Mr Dirt ODI lock on compatible (replace the outer clamp) bar ends in the garage if someone wants to make me an offer?

Poopscoop

Don’t use them now unfortunately.

Miss them though, fantastic on long uphill grinds or just long xc days.

I’m not a fashion victim (well, perhaps I am actually?!)but must admit they look ridiculous on riser bars so not used them in ages.

sb88
    Free Member

About to put some on my Sherpa. Tried the short stem, wide bars thing. Meh. Flopped all over the place on climbs. Put a longer stem and 650mm bars on and it climbs like a mutha. Still fine going down. Some tasteful bar ends the next logical step.

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SqiS6N]P1030920[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

YoKaiser
    Free Member

My Rooster sporting an old pair of Tomac stubbies on a Fleegle bar. I do have a pair of Jonesesque type bars to try though and will be fitting those shortly.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yQfVuq]Singular Rooster[/url] by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

bigrich

wooo!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is anyone here using bar end with the carbon Knuckleball bars, or are bar ends with carbons bars a really bad idea?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I used to love bar-ends. When the bars got above 700mm they seemed not to help anymore and I let them go. I tried TOGS recently. Those I’ll keep. I don’t use them a lot in normal operations and I dislike the bar-clutter, but they’re a useful thing to have in the spares box for a tour or a marathon or something. I aspire to one day do a trip so epic that a pair tri-bars would make sense.

🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Use them on my commuter. With the return of bottle cages, bumbags and saddle bags, I predict bar ends are the next big thing on the enduro scene. Rumour around the campfire is that some of the biggest names have been using them in the off season.

theotherjonv

Cane Creek Ergos on my singlespeed, for the extra uphill grunting but also nice to just rest your hands on for longer cruisey bits.

coatesy
    Free Member

Put mine on in the early 90’s, and never had any urge to ditch them. Have to test ride loads of wide bar, short stem monstrosities in work, and it’s always good to get back on my own bike. I’d be putting up a wanted ad for Pro Stubbies if I ever damaged mine.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I use a set of alloy Superstar ones on a knuckleball. Mostly for xc and bike packing duties on my rigid 29er.

I clamped them carefully with lots of fiber grip!

I did try some plug ends to support the carbon. I found some Specialized ones but the bars had some extra uneven carbon layup in the end which meant the plugs wouldn’t go in.

But so far so good without them.

mbnutter
    Free Member

Took me an age to find the Easton Carbon barends, was gutted to find I had managed to damage both when I went for a bit of a tumble on some diesel the other day.

scotroutes

I’ve been using the Canes Creek Ergos on carbon bars for years without any problems.

I’ve used tri-bars too when the route had enough road transitions. Against a headwind it is like stepping up a couple of cogs on the cassette.

AlexSimon

bigrich – that’s an absolutely superb photo! Who was the tog?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my road-rat but have never really used them on mountain bikes.

GavinB

Only ever use them on the singlespeed, Cane Creek Ergos, on a flat carbon bar. Really like having a change of position for longer rides, although I can’t wait to rip them off afterwards, as the hand position feels wrong when descending.

nedrapier

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I thought about some the other day while out on the HT. I get pretty bad pains in my elbows after a few miles which did take some enjoyment out of the ride, I had a thought about sticking bar ends on after a long period without them.
    (I’ve had the same bars on for donkeys years but lately my elbows have been giving me grief)

essel – try some bars with a bit of backsweep – I had similar issues to you with flat bars, much improved with a bit of backsweep. 17 degrees, 20, 25, 30…

Whatever you can find cheap to try out.

benp1

Cane Creek Ergos on my HT Solaris – the only time I went to BPW was the day before a bikepacking weekend, I was on a HT with mudguards, bottle cages and bar ends. I was in a niche of my own

I have Ergon grips with bar ends in the summer on my jones loops, which resides on my SS rigid Salsa El Mariachi. Put different grips on in the winter so I can fit pogies

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never stopped using them. On both my bikes, on RISER bars!
    Fashion police, come and get me!
    I like them for the alternative hand positions and for climbing they help as well to keep the front down.

martinhutch

Would there be any benefit on a longer-travel bike? I’m considering some kind of grip change for comfort on longer rides on my Flare, but I’m conscious that putting more weight over the front could actually be less efficient.

IA

Some ancient/vintage (~20yo) alu numbers on 760 wide flat bar on my singlespeed – I am tall/long arms/wide shoulders though.

Ace for getting my gurn on ups steep stuff. Miss them on other bikes on long rides.

A mate had a go on them, and with the width remarked ” i feel like i’m carrying a big TV”.

celticdragon

Yes, and on a riser bar too! Only because my MTB is both my weekend bike without bar ends, and my bikepacking bike with bar ends. Whilst its currently sporting a 40mm riser, its getting changed to a 20mm one so will look slightly less stupid.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks for responses and pics you lovely lot.

jam bo – Member
    TOGS..

I had to google this last night in a semi sleep/awake slumber when I really should of gone to bed and my google fu was down. I had no idea what they were and thought this to had to be some type of internet slang cool kid phrase. I am now more informed about how the duvet rating system works, Terry Wogans followers and photographers.

On the flip side though those togs look interesting, I might give them a wirl.

Thanks fatmax for the offer, I’ll hold off for now whilst I have a look about at what is out there, I like the look Cane Creek ones.

And surely no one would admit to having bar ends and riser bars, this has to be attention seeking nonsense! Without pictures I don’t believe it 😉

jekkyl

yea I have them on my 29er high latitude which I keep with semi slicks on for longer rides with virtually no tech and I have a soul for tech with longer bars without bar ends. I do find them useful when climbing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

use them on all of mine except for the one with actual wide bars and even that has Ergot ones with minibar ends

I even have a set that included a multi tool in each bar end

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I have some of the Giant Contact SL composite bar ends on the commuter, useful to move the hands a bit on a longer trip in the absence of drop bars.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I used to swear by them…in the 90s.

I think they still have their place if you’re rocking narrow bars. Otherwise they feel pretty redundant IMO.

teethgrinder

I’d have OnZa Ti L-bends if I could find some cheap enough. And that’s with 780mm bars.

epicyclo

I like having my handlebar grips parallel.

I do it by using a shallow dropbar. It’s great for when you’re grunting up a hill on a single speed because your wrists are flexing at a more comfortable angle.

It also gives me another higher riding position which is nice on a long day.

dude
    Free Member

I do. Get bad pains in my hands if I am unable to change position every now and then.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not anymore, but only because they look a bit naf. Function wise they are brilliant on an xc bike.

Nice set of ritchey wrs available in white if anyone wants them!

belugabob
    Free Member

Another fan of the Specialized Overendz here – currently on my (occasional) bikepacking bike with ergonomic grips and wide riser bars (I have never been accused of being trendy, so don’t care what other people think)

My 29er also has wide riser bars and Ergon G2 grips, which are only marginally less comfortable.

My 26 inch singlespeed, however, has stock width bars and normal grips.

The bar ends really do make for a good choice of positions, to relieve hand strain (Oooer!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still ride with bar ends at all?’ is closed to new replies.