Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Does anyone still ride with bar ends at all?
  • zippykona

Don’t they get hooked up on undergrowth?
    I specifically use bars with lots of back sweep to get me through the foliage like an ice breaker.

jamesoz

I seem to remember bar ends being reported as a source of injuries in crashes.
    Never seen it myself but I guess having a hook on the end of your bars if going out the front door could cause some nasty ones.

ThePinkster

Yep, been running a pair of these since just before dioig the TPT last year on my BFe. Never felt the need to take them off and as others have said, it’s nice to have a different hand position sometimes.

adsh
    Free Member

I love them for long distance but have managed to wean myself off them for XC and 12hrs where despite the comfort they are a liability.

Crashing with bar ends on lightweight carbon bars generally wrecks the bars.

For long distance they are so much more comfortable.

snaps
    Free Member

@wildc4rd – looks like Meldon viaduct.

I seem to remember bar ends being reported as a source of injuries in crashes.

Mine have saved my little fingers a few times when brushing trees/rockface/walls.

Also great for stopping damage to brakes/GPS/lights when upturning the bike.

jp-t853

I use Tioga short ones on risers on my Kaffenback which is used for on road and off road biking

wildc4rd
    Free Member

@snaps – Certainly is, did the bimble from Okehampton across to the pub in Lydford on Sunday, was lovely. The old commuter doesn’t get much action these days…

molgrips
    Free Member

Fitted some with narrow bars to my Salsa when I built it. The narrow bars were awful with 29″ wheels, so ended up with a Fleegle Pro bar at something like 660mm and 17 deg sweep. Variation in hand position provided by Ergon grips. I’d try something along those lines if I were you.

Northwind

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a recommendation for bar ends with a completely split clamp like a brake lever has? (so I could fit them inside of the grips, without taking the grips off?) I have a bike that spends half its time on the turbo, it’d be nice to be able to add some there quickly

mellowyellow
    Free Member

I cant be without my Cane Creek Ergo’s…
    Couldnt figure out why I just couldnt get comfy on my new Yeti FS. Kept going back to my Scott Scale then realised it was the bar ends I was missing.
    Really makes a chore into a pleasure for me on the uphills.

mefty
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a recommendation for bar ends with a completely split clamp like a brake lever has?

Would something like the Cinelli Spinaci work?

jabbi
    Free Member

I always used them in the days of 580-600mm bars, they opened your chest up for better breathing and gave better leverage for grunting up climbs, now though 700-800mm bars do the same thing with out them and personally I think they look stupid on wide (not just riser) bars. Each to their own though, if they work for you go ahead. 😀

Inbred456
    Free Member

I use these on my 29er XC bike.
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/xlc-comfort-locking-grips-bar-ends.html
    Very comfy great position for hands. If you come off they don’t hurt so much.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep, love mine for an extra hand position on long rides. I have got my bars cut down though….

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone still ride with bar ends at all?’ is closed to new replies.