Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Does anyone know about Garage Door Motors? (Automating a Hormann Promatic)
  • phil5556

I have a habit of leaving the garage door open. One day I think I might get up in the morning to find someone has emptied it.

So…

I was just going to add something to alert me that it’s open but it turns out using a reasonably inexpensive Shelly Relay I can automate it so I can close it remotely.

The motor is a Hormann Promatic 3, does anyone happen to be knowledgable with how they work?

Problem I have is that triggering the door to close using the relay works perfectly except it doesn’t close the final 10cm.

No obstructions and using the normal remote it closes fine.

Cheers for any ideas 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have an electric garage door that was installed when I bought the house and is fairly old as the labels have peeled off. There is a dial under the motor that controlled where the motor stops pulling the garage shut.

It is a bit of a faff to use as you open the door, twiddle the dial, close the door, not enough, open the door, twiddle the dial, too much and the safety opening is triggered, twiddle the dial, close the door….

Does yours have some similar controller?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you send a second close command does it complete the movement?

My first thought is it’ll be the latch time of the relay.

Aidy
    Free Member

Have you got the relay connected to the partial close connections rather than the full close?

phil5556

Have you got the relay connected to the partial close connections rather than the full close?

Ah, yes I believe I have!

The options I seem to have are open / stop / close on one pair of terminals (mimicking the remote).

Another set of terminals that does the same.

And then partial open or partial close.

I don’t think there’s a dedicated full close option then.

The manual isn’t very clear.

phil5556

If you send a second close command does it complete the movement?

My first thought is it’ll be the latch time of the relay.

Yes it does.

I’ve tried the Relay time from between 5 seconds and infinite.

I think Aidy has nailed it. I think my work around will have to just be to trigger it twice 30seconds apart.

Murray

I’ve added this WiFi switch to my garage door and linked it to Alexa and Google. It works well.

phil5556

Thanks @Murray
    The automation unit isn’t the issue, it’s because I want it to only allow it to close the door. If I link what I have to the open/close terminal it works as it should.

But I don’t want an option to open it, just in case.

phil5556

OK having just poked about a bit more with some wires I’ve found all the options I have.

Full open / close on the same switch.

Partial open / close on the same switch.

No close only option (partial or otherwise).

Why any one would want to partially open a garage door by 10cm I don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also the manual is shit

Aidy
    Free Member

Why any one would want to partially open a garage door by 10cm I don’t know

The partial open position is configurable, I think. It’s never made much sense to me for up and over doors, but I can see that it might be nice for side hinged doors.

phil5556

The partial open position is configurable, I think. It’s never made much sense to me for up and over doors, but I can see that it might be nice for side hinged doors.

As far as I can tell mine isn’t configurable, or at least it doesn’t tell you how to. That makes sense for upright doors, I guess the software/mechanism is the same just in a different size box for mounting to the ceiling.

Anyway, I sent back what I’d originally ordered, bought a different one off Amazon that connects to Apple Homekit, got brave and wired it to the full open/close contacts and can now tell Siri to open or close the door from anywhere in the world 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know about Garage Door Motors? (Automating a Hormann Promatic)’ is closed to new replies.