Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Does anyone here actually believe in marriage?
  • leffeboy

Marriage is great…We should all do it several times…

I’ve been to one (in fact a couple I think) of ‘re-dedications’ where people renew their vows to each other. Think it was after 20 years.

I agree with the no need for a bit of paper but I do like the idea of standing up in front of all of your friends and promising to be faithful to each other, look after each other etc.

GrahamS

As for a piece of paper to “prove” such to authority or partner/parents…

…I agree with the no need for a bit of paper

The paper is just the bit that gives you legal recognition and protection.
    Bit like car insurance or any other contract really.
    It had nothing to do with “proving” anything for me. Just a formality.

The real point for me was about making a proud statement to my wife, family and friends that I have found the person I want to spend the rest of my life with and then celebrating that fact with them.

leffeboy

The real point for me was about making a proud statement to my wife, family and friends that I have found the person I want to spend the rest of my life with and then celebrating that fact with them.

🙂

..now are you telling me that you can get insurance for it as well? winner

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Leffeboy not quite what I mean…. But that works too….

nick1962
    Free Member

we don’t need the blessing of a godbotherer

See, there we go again. TJ could just have said ‘a God’ or Church in this case but that would have not caused offence

+1
    Most people who have faith are not “godbotherers” and many religions actually forbid prosetelysing.Belittling people with religious beliefs seems to be one of the few so called “sports” still acceptable on STW.

Oh BTW Eyepic my wife nearly threw up when I read her your post! I blame me for her disillusionment 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

AdamW I think we’re in whole hearted agreement 😀

You know a quick searh on the web would suggest that the primary reason why civil partnerships are different even if just in name, is political not legal.

leffeboy

Leffeboy not quite what I mean…. But that works too….

Brilliant. Going to need to get my rose tinted specs changed clearly 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

AdamW I think we’re in whole hearted agreement

That’s great! Brill what civil discourse can do! 😀

EDIT: Anyway it is beer-o’clock so I’m off for a couple of pints with the husboid! 😀

GrahamS

Most people who have faith are not “godbotherers”

Not sure about TJ, but I use the term “godbotherer” in a teasing good natured affection. Sorry if you find it belittling.

nick1962
    Free Member

Not sure about TJ, but I use the term “godbotherer” in a teasing good natured affection. Sorry if you find it belittling.

Graham S -One man’s “teasing good natured affection” can be construed as bullying or an offensive “-ism” …
    I am an Atheist BTW and will be sticking to the Bike Forum from now on 🙂

GrahamS

Yep, as demonstrated by the other burning thread at the moment.

Does this mean I shouldn’t attempt “teasing good natured affection” towards any persons of religious conviction?

GrahamS

If it helps they are welcome to (teasingly) refer to me as a Godless Heathen.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m also a confirmed atheist and don’t like the recent tendency towards aggressive religion bashing.

It’s too easy and it doesn’t do those involved any credit at all. I blame that smartarse Richard Dawkins.

God has been dead for more than a century, what’s the point of dancing on his grave?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jeepers ( can I say that 🙂 ?)

I am sorry if “godbotherer” offended It was meant in the way Graham S heard it.

No offence intended. if I intend to offend there is little room left for doubt 🙂

Nick 1962 – point taken

crikey
    Free Member

Dragging things slightly more towards the original topic, I’m ambivalent towards marriage, but absolutely hate the industry which has sprung up around it.

I work with lots of young women who go on to get married, and the amount of social oneupmanship, the utter and total waste of money that occurs is stupifying.

These are women who earn £25 K ish a year, with potential husbands on similar amounts, who then go on to spend £15 K or so on one day.

I stand as a beacon of sense in a sea of financial stupidity at times, yet get called a cynic…..

GrahamS

These are women who earn £25 K ish a year, with potential husbands on similar amounts, who then go on to spend £15 K or so on one day.

Yep. Those people are mental in my opinion.

But they’d probably say the same about someone paying £1k+ for a push bike.

Sandwich

26 years here (+3 Years while Mrs S finished her degree, I dropped out and worked).
    Eyepic +1

GrahamS

I stand as a beacon of sense in a sea of financial stupidity at times, yet get called a cynic…..

As someone pointed out you can get married for £40 and it grants you certain legal protections.

So the purely financial argument seems a little flawed. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

But they’d probably say the same about someone paying £1k+ for a push bike.

Ooooh no, they all know that for a decent bike you have to pay at least £800, but for something that you can upgrade and futureproof, you need to spend at least £1000. I’m not sitting there all night listening to how to match the bridesmaids shoes without making some contribution….

crikey
    Free Member

So the purely financial argument seems a little flawed.

Seriously, I have listened to people costing the floral decorations for the centre of each table, for the cost of the shoes that the bridesmaids will wear, for the amount to spend on the brides underwear.

It’s a massive racket, peddled to the gullible, who in turn accept the opportunity to throw away stupid sums of, often someone else money, on their ‘special day’.

Then sit and moan 12-18 months down the line about how they can’t afford anything since they got married.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Blimy – nip out for a wee nightride and come back to find three pages!

Great reading all the replies. Especially the happy-ending (well, so far!) stories. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

5 years married. Or is it 6? I think it’s 6. There’s no question of any other eventuality for me and Mrs Grips, so why not get married? An excuse to get everyone together and have a good day 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

It’s a massive racket, peddled to the gullible, who in turn accept the opportunity to throw away stupid sums of, often someone else money, on their ‘special day’.

You are confusing ‘getting married’ with ‘the wedding industry’. We got married. None of TJ’s godbotherers in the room, a few people we really wanted to be there, a bus to the reception, a great meal (buffet, not served), a cake with smurf cake toppers, then a riproaring evening with more friends and a cake made of cheese.
    A wonderful day, we organised it, we paid for it. Marriage works for some people and not for others. A bit like wearing a bike helmet or a neck brace.

grantway
    Free Member

My wife does 👿

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here actually believe in marriage?’ is closed to new replies.