Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Does anyone else take their helmet off uphill?
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

Went for a short ride at Glentress yesterday. On a uphill fireroad, an unknown rider told me that my helmet wouldn’t do me any good on my rucksack.

I don’t mind advice, but I hate climbing with my fullface on. My rubbish reply was, that I don’t intend falling off.

Can I have suggestions for a better reply, if I get the same advice again?

devs
    Free Member

I’ve only done it once on a scorching day at NyA. Otherwise I can’t be bothered with the stop start faff. Do what you are happy with.

scaredypants

I do it sometimes but TBH the sensation of putting back on a cold sweaty helmet (steady, schoolkids!) isn’t worth the benefit while climbing unless it’s a looong climb

johnikgriff
    Free Member

On a hot day, on a path I know is going to be a long slog I, and folks I ride with, tend to take them off. Nobody has died yet.

partyboy
    Free Member

**** off TJ?

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Something along the lines of “we’re pedaling up a fire road, exactly how accident prone are you? personally I’m fairly confident of staying on my bike.” Alternatively “I’m sorry I can’t quite see your trail police ID, should you not be clearly displaying it?”
    I always get rid of my helmet when climbing unless it’s super tech or very uppy downy trail centre stuff. My head gets hot and it’s my head.

hilton83
    Free Member

P**$ off?

hilton83
    Free Member

God can you imagine if there were trail police!?
    “both hands on the bars please”
    “im going to have to write you a ticket for that wheelie”
    “im going to need a sample from the contents of your camelbak sir”

ivnickkate
    Free Member

partyboy, nope it wasn’t TJ, unless he has changed his accent. The last time I rode with him, he didn’t worry that i took my helmet off, but I like your idea. Although Mrs Ivnickkate doesn’t.

liggster
    Free Member

Yes I often take mine off, especially when pushing back up & its full face. Not much chance of tripping and falling over! Although it isnt great putting a cold/sweaty helmet back on :-S As for what to say, I wouldn’t bother as its your choice!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Full-face – yes
    XC lid – no

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘It’s not mine- I took it as a trophy from the bloke I murdered back down there…’

_tom_
    Free Member

Full-face – yes
    XC lid – no

This. Climbing in a full face is horrible not to mention pointless.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes when on forest trails etc – head always gets too hot – no if it is technical.

weeksy

Yup, when at Afan i’ll do most of the uphills without a helmet. I sweat like a pig so it’s pointless having it on.

nick1962
    Free Member

Rarely wear mine uphill unless it’s really cold or rocky techy stuff,just get too hot.Coincidentally was at GT yesterday and someone remarked as I went past them on a climb sans helmet that not wearing a helmet uphill seemed a good idea!

proteus
    Free Member

My rubbish reply was, that I don’t intend falling off.
    And yet you’re wearing a full face helmet for mincing about on XC trails…

GW
    Free Member

😆

GW
    Free Member

the correct reply is simply

“Prick!”

7hz
    Free Member

ivnickkate

On a uphill fireroad, an unknown rider told me that my helmet wouldn’t do me any good on my rucksack.

Busybody – “Your helmet won’t do you any good on your rucksack, tut tut!”

You – “I won’t do any good shoved up your *** either, but if you don’t mind your own business, that’s where it will end up!”

emac65
    Free Member

Just reply with a cheery “Thanks mom”………

cookeaa

For a know it all of that sort a response along the lines of:

“The voices tell me I must kick you off that Dandyhorse and peel you with my Leatherman… Perhaps you should pedal faster”

Would be appropriate I reckon…

For my own part I tend to keep my XC lid on for the whole ride but if it’s a full face day I’ll most likely be pushing up so will take the thing off, I suppose a stray golf ball could lead to someone sustaining a serious head injury while pushing up Aston hill, but I doubt the paramedics would be bemoaning the lack of a noggin protector in that case…

Do your own risk assessments, and let others do theirs…

aracer
    Free Member

XC lid – no

I have done with mine on really hot days, as my head is cooler without it when moving slow. Have also taken it off on long road climbs on holiday in France (the Spinaci bars on the tandem make a very handy helmet holder). Why do you think it wouldn’t be an issue with a roadie/XC lid?

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’d reply ‘It’s my head, and we’re on a fireroad uphill.’

Being rude could put thier back up, where stating the facts might make them think?

You could say thanks before saying the above, and hope for good kama by staying polite and friendly?

:~)

TimothyD
    Free Member

I often take my helmet off, but have you seen Specialized’s full face helmet with vents in it, that’s like a hybrid design?

I find squirting water into the vent on the top of my head is nice on a hot day, as you tilt your head you can feel the water moving about and cooling it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Climbing in a full facer is horrible, the ventialltion is only designed to work when you’re moving. More likely to fall of with one on ue to heat exhaustion.

Now an XC lid, well I think the sweat-pads do their job tremendously well nowadays, you’ve got a bit of shade, and in many cases they’re more comfortable than going “commando” IMHO.

GW
    Free Member

Climbing in a full facer any sort of helmet is horrible, the ventialltion is only designed to work when you’re moving. More likely to fall of with one on ue to heat exhaustion.

[quote]Now an XC lid, well I think the sweat-pads do their job tremendously well nowadays, you’ve got a bit of shade, and in many cases they’re more comfortable than going “commando” IMHO.[/quote]IMHO YHO is retarded!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Why do you think it wouldn’t be an issue with a roadie/XC lid?

The OP’s question was “Does anyone else take their helmet off uphill?”

My answer was:

Full-face – yes
    XC lid – no

If you want to take your XC lid off as well, be my guest. Mine doesn’t bother me. Maybe you have a sweatier head than me.

crikey
    Free Member

Ho hum…. Somedays I go out without a helmet at all!!!!!!111!1!11!!!!

I’ve been doing it for 25 years now, and I’m still ok. But yes, I’ll often stick mine on my pack or up my shirt at the back when climbing.

aracer
    Free Member

My answer was:

Fairy nuff – apologies for the accusatory tone.

headfirst
    Free Member

Blimey you are a miserable touchy bunch. I’d just laugh it off presuming he was just joking and being friendly, even that wasn’t his intention.

Or on the other hand he was taking the piss out of an ATGNI type…

munrobiker
    Free Member

If we’re honest, the bigger issue here is the use of a full face helmet at GT.

aracer
    Free Member

the bigger issue here is the use of a full face helmet at GT.

Biscuit anyone?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fairy nuff – apologies for the accusatory tone.

Dammit man, that’s not the Singletrack way. We could have sparked a whole rant there! :mrgreen:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No, but only because my XC lid is so comfy I forget I’m wearing it. If it was a full-face and I was riding slowly back up a forest road, I’d take it off too.

chrismac

As others have said.

Yes if its my full face as I am probably pushing anyway
    No if its my trail lid as its comfy any way so I don’t see the point

oliverd1981
    Free Member

sounds like GW needs a new XC lid.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

“The voices tell me I must kick you off that Dandyhorse and peel you with my Leatherman… Perhaps you should pedal faster”

I like that. 😀 It’s got a sick edge which I approve of wholeheartedly.

I particularly like the bit where you’d peel them with your Leatherman. 🙂

Handy things, Leathermen.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I have seen me riding up to the buzzards at Gt with my helmet on my pack..

If we’re honest, the bigger issue here is the use of a full face helmet at GT.

I dont see a problem with wearing a full facer at Gt..wear whatever makes you feel safe, I dont personally but dont have a problem with folk that do…..helmet police now 🙄

crazy-legs

Gotta love the comments you get at Glentress.

A few years ago me and my then GF were riding up to Buzzards Nest both of us on “trail” style HT’s, baggies, Camelbaks etc. Passed a couple of guys in full lycra on racey XC HTs. Politely said “good morning”.

One of the guys looked at us and, obviously in an attempt to justify us riding faster than him, said quickly “we’ve already done a lap”. I was like, WTF?! Couldn’t care less. And they hadn’t done a lap either cos we saw them later, lost. 😆

I like Elfin’s and 7hz’s comments – either works well. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else take their helmet off uphill?’ is closed to new replies.