Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dodgy knees assemble – hardtail vs fully upholstered
  • IHN

I have a dodgy knee, cartilage removal 20 something years ago, so it doesn’t really like being rattled around. Skiing kills it, football used to, walking down big hills isn’t great, etc etc.

I’ve started doing a lot more MTBing after a good few years of mainly road (road riding doesn’t give it much bother), and I’m noticing it’s hurting a fair bit. I ride a hardtail, and at some point soonish hopefully I’ll be getting my self a new bike. Now, my heart says another hardtail, cos I like how they look, especially steel ones. But, my head is saying maybe full-suss, as it might lessen the load/shock on my knees.

So, anyone care to offer any experiences of how moving to a full suss did or did not alleviate any knee issues?

kelvin

Are you on flats for SPDs?

marcus
    Free Member

You’re more than welcome to borrow the 5 for a bit (providing I can have it back once a year when I ride it) to see if it make any difference ?

IHN

SPDs. And, from experience, it’s not a ‘float’ thing that causes the issue, it’s a repetitive shock thing.

intheborders
    Free Member

Now, my heart says another hardtail, cos I like how they look, especially steel ones. But, my head is saying maybe full-suss, as it might lessen the load/shock on my knees.

Get a Cotic FS, they’re steel 🙂

IHN

You’re more than welcome to borrow the 5 for a bit (providing I can have it back once a year when I ride it) to see if it make any difference ?

Ta, I might take you up on it (might be a bit small though)

Get a Cotic FS, they’re steel

Is a (more spendy than ideal) option…

joebristol

Not my knees but I have a lower back issue from bulging discs many years ago. My FS is definitely easier on it than my hardtail.

samhay
    Free Member

A decent not-too-gnarly steel hardtail with modern geometry and bigger wheels will feel very different, and somewhat more forgiving, than your ageing stead.
    Flats do seem to help too and you might find the added bonus that you don’t end up upside down quite so often.

Yak

Full suss definitely for reducing the impact through the bike.
    Middle-aged-comfort-chariots aren’t called that for no reason 😉

IHN

Flats do seem to help too and you might find the added bonus that you don’t end up upside down quite so often.

I think you’re confusing “flats” with “some semblance of discernible ability” 🙂

joebristol

A decent not-too-gnarly steel hardtail with modern geometry and bigger wheels will feel very different, and somewhat more forgiving, than your ageing stead.

To add my full suss has 150mm travel front / 130mm rear and is alloy framed – and slack angles for a trail bike.

My hardtail is a Marino with Reynolds 725 butted steel tubing and is very middle of the road geometry. 65.5 head angle / 74 seat angle / 445mm reach (I’m 5’9) / 425mm chainstays / 390mm seat tube etc. Running 650b with 2.6” tyres and 140mm Pike Ultimate up front. It’s definitely more ‘padded’ an my previous alloy hardtail which also had reasonable modern geo and 140mm pike- but the full suss is still quite a bit easier on the lower back.

I’m sold on 2.6” tyres though for hardtails – they definitely take the edge off a bit.

BillOddie

Torn meniscus in my knee and lots of wear and tear in both knees (along with pretty much every other joint to be honest)

This year I have swapped to FS (160F and 135R) from HT (140mm fork) and swapped from SPDs to Flats.

Flats have definitely helped the really dodgy knee as I no longer need to twist to clip out. The FS has helped pretty much every other joint.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy knees assemble – hardtail vs fully upholstered’ is closed to new replies.