Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dodgy cheap road tyres at Decathlon
  • NewRetroTom

Last week my ancient Conti gator skin tyre finally gave up the ghost and popped (probably partly due to an incident where I rode 2 miles along a canal towpath on the completely flat tyre after getting a puncture and realising I didn’t have my 15mm spanner to get the rear wheel off).

I bought a new michelin 28mm tyre from Decathlon for £8.99. Seemed like a bit of a bargain even if it wasn’t a top quality tyre. I have ridden about 70 miles on it and then last night topped up the pressure to 80psi (max pressure stated as 86psi on the sidewall). An hour later the tyre popped off the rim causing the tube to explode with a very loud bang!

Very glad this didn’t happen while I was riding along a busy road where I could have ended up under a car!

It seems that the bead was slightly too big for the rim which has allowed it to stretch off when the tyre pressure was increased.

Will take the tyre back to Decathlon and try for a refund. Certainly won’t be buying their cheap tyres again!

taxi25
    Free Member

Pretty sure Michelin don’t make rubbish tyres just to sell to Decathlon !! You were just unlucky or the tyre wasn’t seat properly when you pumped it up.

Northwind

My Michelin expensive road tyres were pish tbh (cracked all to buggery after a few months and a few hundred miles) so not that surprised that the cheap ones are too.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Was it on the same wheel you rode with a puncture? I wonder if the rim has developed a sharp edge from being ridden flat or otherwise the rim has been deformed?

Not a fan of Michelin either

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, it could be a crap tyre but it could also be a damaged rim or just a tyre not properly fitted.

FWIW, I’ve never had a problem with a Michelin tyre but I tend to use their nice, racy ones so that might not be of any relevance.

NewRetroTom

No damage to the rim – I put the new tyre onto the front wheel and moved the old one onto the rear.

I did have a pretty good check that the tyre was properly seated when I put it on the rim, and in my experience of road tyres it’s very difficult to get this wrong.

Think it was just a dodgy tyre.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of tyres fitted and then blow off a little while later as they’ve crept off the rim under high pressure so I disagree that it’s difficult to get it wrong…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It happens, I’ve had GP4000’s blow off the rim (at the time I was on the train and nearly caused a terror alert as it sounded like a gunshot!). That was a modetately used tyre, but freshly refited after a puncture so it was fairly certainly user error.

Shortly after fitting I’d suspect user error (or a one off dodgy tyre) rather than anything else.

But equaly I’m suspicious of cheap road tyres anyway, the compounds are usualy horrible and prone to punctures. Had some good luck with Shwalbe Blizzards for winter and Conti ultrasport for summer and sticking with those when not buying ‘nice’ tyres.

NewRetroTom

But creeping off the rim after riding 70 miles then topping up the pressure?

Surely it would have come off when I was riding it if it hadn’t been on the rim properly?

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, that seems less likely I’ll admit. Unless of course you didn’t pump it up so hard previously.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy cheap road tyres at Decathlon’ is closed to new replies.