Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Doctors please – hand injury but not broken
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It appears that my earlier crash was not totally injury free. My left hand hurts when grip something like a beer bottle as I pop the top. This is beginning to really become an issue.

The pain is in the two areas highlighted below. It doesn’t feel like anything solid is broken as I can move the hand and fingers and there is no single intense point of pain.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/285spWf]Hand[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

I am guessing that the ring finger was either bent forward or backwards violently during the bike dismount although I didn’t notice at the time. It started throbbing a bit about three hours later and now is slightly swollen and tender to move.

I am away for 4 days work so am in two minds about going over A&E. Don’t want to waste their / my time but also don’t want to be stuck in a strange place with an injury that needs attention.

STW to the rescue – Man up / A &E / Amputate at the wrist?

lesgrandepotato

Use the other hand.

lesgrandepotato

Paint the nails if that helps you.

v8ninety

IANAD but if it’s not broken and it still ‘works’ albeit with pain then it’s a soft tissue injury and I’d just see how it goes. You’ve got to let the initial swelling and bruising recede before having an idea as to whether there’s more significant damage. More specific advice would require an examination.

Also; just read about your crash; that was pretty cool. You should totally have a username that reflects your crashing abili… oh 😉

tjagain

Single intense point of pain sounds like a break to me

Minor injuries clinic time to get a proper diagnosis

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

no single intense point of pain.

I am going with V8 90 advice for the moment and probably lesgrandepotato  advice while I am away from home

rene59
    Free Member

As it’s clearly not a life threatening emergency don’t bother the A&E department with it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

rene – my views exactly. I have had to use them too often for proper shit to waste their time with this. I just wanted reassurance that I hadn’t ripped/sheared/bust something that would benefit by being fixed now rather than leaving it and finding it can’t be fixed.

I have a lower sternum that points directly forward out of my chest like something from alien because I didn’t bother going to A&E and getting it pinned back in place. Fortunately my body is no longer the ripped six pack of my youth so it doesn’t show as much.

TomB

I’d X-ray it if you came to my ED, not much radiation dose and hands are important. Pop in somewhere with X-ray facilities and get a pic taken.

v8ninety

In fairness WCA; you are in a FAR better position to tell us what you should do; you’ve had loads more experience than most of us with things like this!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

TomB – The only X Rays are at Southampton General. the Pop In centre is at the South Hants. If you go to the pop in centre and need an x-ray they send you to A&E at the General. I live two hundred yards from the General and when I turn up their normal response is “Hi Nick, have you been to the drop in at the South Hants yet?”

I am fairy sure by poking, prodding and pressing that the bones are not broken. I have broken my knuckles, scaphoid and meta carpals before and it doesn’t feel like that.

It feels like torn muscle or two bits of your body that should be connected have been rudely pulled apart and then just pinged back again.

It was painful enough to make me switch from beer to wine because the beer hurt to open but nothing more. I shall man up and catch the flight in the morning.

CountZero

Ibuprofen tabs and Voltarol on the hand. Cures a multitude of ills. Getting hold of Codene and paracetamol might be a bit more of a problem.

tjagain

Oops

Must find my reading glasses

molgrips
    Free Member

I hurt my hand in a slow motion OTB avoiding a cow about 10 days ago. Still hurts. Bloody stupid cows.

stumpy01

Erm. I ended up with a spiral fracture to whatever the bone is in my hand that leads down to my ring finger.

At the time, I had pretty much full use of my hand, it was just bloody painful. There was no one sharp pain location; just the whole of my hand was sore.

If it was me, I’d get it looked at properly. Even though mine was put in a cast & sorted out promptly, my hand doesn’t quiet work as well as it used to, which I find bloody frustrating. I imagine if it is broken & isn’t set correctly you might have problems further down the line.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Much less painful today and not that bruised or swollen so I think I will be okay.

I have discovered a big bruise on the top of my elbow that I wasn’t aware of yesterday. Makes testing my elbows on the desk a no no.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Doctors please – hand injury but not broken’ is closed to new replies.