Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Doctor’s Gate
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Will be having 2 days off next week and want to give my bike a bit of a test run before that with new drivetrain.
    So thought to drop into Doctor’s Gate, as never did it before.
    But wondering how good/bad it is? How it is stacking up versus Cut Gate? Or is it similar to any other classic Dark Peak trails?

Won’t have loads of time Sunday morning so was after short and punchy ride. Cut Gate is like good choice but never done Doctor’s Gate so maybe?

Cheers!
    I.

cyclelife
    Free Member

It’ll test your fillings not your drive train😂.
    Seriously, it wont give your new bits much of a test but anyway you can do that in your road!
    Go ride it, it’s good fun.
    Rocky and technical first section, good bike skills needed – get out there.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

When you thinking of going ivan?
    Today?
    Might be up for a couple of shuttles runs if you fancy it? Monday evening after family bouldering session.

Apologies if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs, but one key down side of DrG is that the only obvious mtb round trip is around 60 km long, and does indeed include the aforementioned Cut Gate. There’s loads of discussion on the merits of both on this thread: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/get-thee-to-cut-gate-and-doctors-too-if-you-can-be-arsed/

Failing that, you cycle back up the Snake Pass road, which is hell.

The route itself is very hard in 1 place, I portaged. There are also a few bits with consequences. But it’s not so desperate overall. My missus did it whilst pregnant and thoroughly enjoyed it, though the couple we did it with hated it.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks!

I’m fully aware that next riding worthy area to DrG is bottom of Potato Alley. After that you need to slog over 4 miles up Snake Pass.
    Don’t have time for that I’m afraid.

Hence reference to Cut Gate. There and back from Langsett is about 13 miles, including double backing on North America. DrG seems to be running similar millage there and back so thought to give it a go.

Plan is for Sunday morning (1/06) to drive to Old Glossop, jump on DrG ride it over the Snake and back and be back home for lateish breakfast…

Alternative is to drop to Langsett, ride Cut Gate to Ladybower and back.

Cheers!
    I.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d ride Cut Gate out and back in preference to Doctor’s Gate every time tbh. You can reach the top of Doctor’s Gate off road if you’re prepared to, say, ride the footpath that heads up from the Monk’s Road junction on Chunal to Mill Hill then along the slabbed section of the Pennine Way to Snake Summit, though you’d have to churn up Chunal on the road to reach the start point. And you may have issues with walkers / your conscience depending on how early you are.

As an erstwhile Glossop local, I’ve always thought of Doctor’s Gate as a nice run and a scenic, but not very flowy bike trail, but the main problem is simply reaching the top of it. To be fair, early morning, the slog up the A57 from Glossop is actually okay. The road that side is quite open and the gradient’s pretty reasonable, so you could just pump up your tyres and do that if you really want to ride down the thing.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks.

As mentioned wouldn’t have tones of time so might skip it for now anyways.

It will be drive to the place, ride quickly and retreat as soon as possible.

Won’t be doing any poaching, especially on Sunday. Might keep it as an option for mid-week bimble.

Cheers!
    I.

BadlyWiredDog

You’re welcome. There’s something resembling a broken cliff near the top of Doctors Gate. Frankly I think anyone who can ride down it is either deranged, very skilled or, most likely, dead at the bottom of it.

There’s also actually some really nice footpath tech around and above Glossop if you know where to look.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Ta!

Might ask for some guidance in the future 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Doctor’s Gate’ is closed to new replies.