Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Do you put anything back in to mountain biking ?
  • stumpyjon

Put more hours into (official) trail building than riding of late. Marshalled the odd event, put numerous peoples bikes back together and guided a couple of rides. Got to admit I trail build because I really enjoy it rather than any massive alturistic reasons.

Mackem

Apart from giving money to bike companies, bike shops, bike guides and mtb magazines, no.

Betamax
    Free Member

I wasn't aware that I had taken anything away.

ahwiles
    Free Member

*the usual trail tidying and 'discovery'

*some weekends with singletraction

*about a thousand years ago i helped organise some races

*some boring meetings with local land management groups – which are actually quite good fun!

*happy to take beginners out for their first rides

*happy to throw buckets of money at trailcentres and the BnB / pub where i'm staying.

*i'm incredibly handsome and stylish, i make the sport look good, you all benefit by association.

Northwind

Trailbuilding at Glentress, clearing and draining trails locally (and talking to the local Rangers about making that a bit more organised… Though like stumpyjon, I just like doing it, I don't do self sacrifice.

Oh and I spend a load of money, and talk immense amounts of pish on internet forums, of which just occasionally some is useful to someone.

Moe
    grahamh
    Free Member

Help organise a mountin bike event! Would I do that 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

I help (Well, I'm on my own at them minute) at a local project that teaches wayward kids from 9-15-ish years old bike mechanics. We get old/broken bikes, strip them down and teach them how to fix them up. Then set them up with lights and a helmet before sending them off for a cycling proficiency course. 2hrs+ on Saturday mornings, in 3-4 week blocks.

It can be a bit intense, because some of them are quite demanding, but I really enjoy it. It feels like a 'good thing' to me.

Having met you in the past, I bet you're really good at doing that..do you have to stop yourself getting all 'in-depth' about rock shox forks though? 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

Where do you do that Peter? Sounds like a great scheme!

_tom_
    Free Member

Not enough. I'll pick up litter on the trail and especially on the jumps in Leicester – the kids always leave loads of litter there so when I'm there I'll put it in the bin. Other than that it's just the £3 on the parking fee each time I go to a trail centre/forestry commission place.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I like to see people enjoying themselves riding their bikes. So anything I can do to help them do this I will do.

stevomcd
    Free Member

We do quite a lot in our local area:

We helped develop the trail map.
    We do a lot of trail maintenance (clearing deadfall, repairing rain/rider erosion damage, building new sections, etc.)

We also help out with local events (free guiding, uplift, use of our van/trailer/hire bikes/etc).

We've run a few free uplift days for local riders too, late and early season. But when we say local riders, we do mostly mean our mates! 😉

Should probably do even more really, as we are a mountain bike business and couldn't exist without the local trails and facilities. We have a couple of bigger local trailbuilding projects planned for this autumn, hopefully we'll have time to get them done!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I make a rather fine hip flask filler which I hand round freely, along with Haribo Sours. And a wee bit of trailbuilding too.

Del

well, me and a few mates have cut trails at our local centre. there's official stuff there, but it's not built for 'proper' riders IMO, but very useful in the gack weather. it's fun, of itself, and the warm glow you get from a mate saying 'oh! that's really nice', is well worth it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

i'm incredibly handsome and stylish, i make the sport look good, you all benefit by association.

😀 Lol at a good answer

yunki
    Free Member

i'm incredibly handsome and stylish, i make the sport look good, you all benefit by association

+ 1

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I turn up to the odd trail building Sunday at Stainburn and Gisburn, but have massive respect for those who lead these events and turn up week in week out, stumpyjon above^^ and cheeky monkey, chairman of SingletrAction. There are others aswell, Martin Colledge the Head forester at Gisburn, Ed Oxley and that council bloke at Lee Quarry.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i'm incredibly plain and lack style, i make the sport look ordinary, you all benefit by looking better…

Kevevs
    Free Member

why not stop debating shit that doesn't matter. and ride yer bike.

Mugboo

Trailbuilding with SingletrAction

Lots of local trailclearing/maintanence round Bingley area

Ita amazing how much more fun local trails are when you don't get twatted in the eye every 2 secs by a branch…..plus with a little drainage work the 'man' won't see your tyre tracks every time it gets muddy.

kennyp
    Free Member

Not club-minded – a bit anti-organisation, anti-authority,

I help run our club. I reckon we're about as unorganised and unauthoritised as it's possible to be. And I'm not even sure if one of those is a word!

kennyp
    Free Member

why not stop debating shit that doesn't matter

Maybe it's because people do debate stuff like this, and then go out and help with trail maintenance, that we have so many good trails in this country. A lot of folk who "just ride their bike" don't always appreciate the unpaid work that's been done on their behalf.

cookeaa

I think contribution is relative to involvement. When I was in a club and single there was no issue for me setting aside a weekend to dig or build for free or chip in with the odd race, since moving acquiring a family no longer being in a club and having less time, I suppose you could say I give less and fit the loner MTBer paradigm more. But I still do my bit, taking beginers out showing them trails and riding tips, and repairing my local trails now and then.

My biggest problem with the op's point was that it implies that there is a lack of ground roots level organisation and contribution. That simply isn't the case, go to any one of a hundred locations this weekend and you'll find people who give thousands of hours and a fair chunk of their income to the sport, as for an overarching organisation, that is still the remit of British cycling, you could argue that their focus isn't grass roots enough at times but they exist and do have that responsibility.

Basically things could always be better. But their not actually that bad as it stands.

Edric64
    Free Member

I don't ride events or build trails but would be prepared to maintain bridleways as a goodwill thing ,so long as walkers and the horsey lot join in as well .It could be a goodwill, bridge building exercise

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

why not stop debating shit that doesn't matter. and ride yer bike.

Where's the 'debate'? I don't really see an argument here. It's just a 'discussion'.

And if others din't put effort into mountain biking, you wouldn't have anywhere to ride yer flipping bike!

Kevevs
    Free Member

sorry, I just saw it turning into another twatty thread, when actually it's really nice and caring. How did you go about doing that Peterpoddy? Plenty of bored kids round here. I fix everybodys bikes at work.

Hadge
    Free Member

I make nice shiny bits for you riders and some one-offs for those who are stuck requiring certain bits and pieces. Help my mates selling stuf for them too plus a bit of local trail building.

My biggest problem with the op's point was that it implies that there is a lack of ground roots level organisation and contribution

That's not what I was trying to imply. I was more trying to find out what other people do to give me some ideas myself.

I'm not so bothered with trail building, I'd rather ride bridleways and take them as they come. It's good that people who are in to that sort of thing are getting on and doing the work that's needed on their own though.

There's a few events like Hit the North and the Forest of Dean Enduro which are put on by a few individuals or a local club.
    I don't think I've got the organisational skills to get something like that off the ground myself, but if there was a club round here doing something similar, I'd join up and be a willing minion.

DickBarton

Yes…up until a few years ago I think I put a lot back into the sport – organising events/club events/rides/fixing numerous bikes/trailbuilding…last couple of years I've done far less biking and I'm doing far less 'back into the sport' – don't have the time just now – I need to get back to riding my bike and enjoying it and feel fit doing it before I can start thinking about others…

Selfish but that's how it is for me…

Northwind

Hardly selfish 😛 Only thing I'd say about this thread is that there's a lot of people who put in more than most yet still feel bad about it, that's a damn shame. There's no need or requirement to do anything so everyone who gives anything back above that can be proud IMO. I mean, about half the people at glentress on a sunday don't even pay the £3 parking FFS. Even giving a lift to a ride, or helping someone out on the trails fix a mechanical goes in the "nice" list in Santa's big book.

Mugboo

Plus its good karma. Just let a guy in front of me at Wickes cos i had loads of stuff – he returned the favour when he saw i would struggle to fit 14 large plasterboards in my van without some help!

And lets not get started on tossers that don't pay for parking… 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm not so bothered with trail building, I'd rather ride bridleways and take them as they come

seconded 🙂 I wouldn't care if I never rode another inch of volunteer-built trail!

I lead a beginner ride every Saturday of the year, but I get at least as much out of it as I put in due to all the gorgeous totty 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

I put my back into riding my bike if that counts…

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

http://www.singletraction.org.uk and anything else I'm daft enough to get myself into.

I like what I do, on balance, and don't think too hard about why I do it. When it's not good enough fun overall I'll probably do less.

Folks do as little or as much as they fancy. You can't guilt someone into it (well, you can, but it's fruitless and unsustainable in the long run).

big-chief-96
    Free Member

done a few trail building sessions and volunteer marshalling at races not alot but its something

IainGillam
    Free Member

I often think it's a shame mountain biking isn't a bit more like motocross

I'm often very glad it's not. The schoolboy clubs often book races on the same dates competing against one another (not much of a comunity spirit!) and you are coerced into bringing a marshall. The amateur (AMCA) clubs seam to be a bit "jobsworth", only allowing you to race with them you have to ask to race with another organisation. As well as having very stringent rules and whilst they do provide cheap racing the tracks arn't exactly good. ACU round my way seam to have the right idea pay your money, turn up to a good track (quite often a national standard) that has been watered and ride. The latter being much like an mtb race pay and ride job done.

At a grassroots level we could do a lot worse than look at road cycling clubs, plenty of clubs round my area not too many date clashes. You do your bit by timekeeping or marshalling at a road race. The racing is cheap no frills and simple, it would be nice to have a few mtb events run on the same premise.

Iain

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

racing ?? What's that about ?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Christ no I'm not a **** hippie.

Scout
    Free Member

I'm a keen and good trail builder. I like to build new trails and maintain existing ones.

I also help organise local mates races and am willing to offer advice/help regarding bikes/riding whenever someone asks for some.

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I talk to people about cycling and encourage them to give it a try. I offer to take people out on rides and I provide free maintenance davice. If someone has a bike problem they can't fix I suggest they bring their bike to me and I'll show them how to mend it.

After that I do **** all for mountain biking, at least half the people doing it are cocks and I avoid them for the most part.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Do you put anything back in to mountain biking ?’ is closed to new replies.