• This topic has 60 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Do you "practice" ?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Or just “go for a ride”

I have a free Friday and I fancy spending a morning trying to put into practice all the blurb about drops/ steps I have been watching over on IMB. Need to find the right candidates though. There are quite a few local (Cranham/ Standish) but ideally, I would love to feast on an area ranging from tiddlers to something a bit more challenging

Trouble is I also want to visit Ashton court as I have never been.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sometimes on a ride I’ll “session” a particular bit of trail to get it “just right” can be fun but you’ve go to have receptive mates.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes sometimes

nicko74

No, I *practise*, particularly when it comes to pedantry…

I wouldn’t say I do, though; even when I’m riding somewhere like Peaslake, and going over particular trails a couple of times in a ride, it’s not practising so much as just riding. Weird, ’cause there’s definitely a thought process of ‘want to do it better this time’, even though it doesn’t feel like practising.

Northwind

Sometimes I do… It’s not something that really occurs to me that much though. But, when I’m out for a general ride I do usually have at least part of my brain working on general improvement- do that corner better, brake a little less, etc. So not intensive practicing, sessioning or whatever but not quite “just riding” either.

If I fail a section I do usually go back and repeat it til I can do it well, though. I guess that counts.

richmtb

All the time. My local trails are nothing special but there is a great big grassy area where I can practice endos and wheelies till my hearts content – still need more practise though!

fenred
    Free Member

Yep, I practice a fair bit, even play riding with the kids in the close out front gives an opportunity to hone track stands and the like…went to hog hill on Sunday by myself just to practice technique on the pump and descent tracks….all good stuff that you don’t always remember to train out on the trail.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Do you “practice” ?

Or just “go for a ride”

The euph of today.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No, hardly ever, but I recognise that if I did I would be a better rider.

jonke
    Free Member

yes – mostly when i’m own my own and particularly if i woose something out, in which case i’ll session a few times until i feel like i’m not being so pathetic.

GW
    Free Member

yes and no

every time I cock a leg over a bike I’ll be reviving old and new skills but not always consiously practicing, rides for me last anything from 10-15 seconds to all day I rarely sit down and rarely do dull miles.
    eg. I’m going out on a nightride later, it’s only one mile and almost entirely DH and on a very quiet road. I’ll usually try to manual most of it, drift the one loose turn, rail others without braking or cut in to hop a kerb and try to make a tight consequential gap without braking at all. I’d be bored otherwise.

scaredypants

never 😐

was out the other day with a mate and we were being shown/reminded how to bunnyhop. We both said we couldn’t remember the last time we just pissed about on our bikes

DickBarton

No, but I really really should…practice makes perfect and also makes the necessary moves become natural and second nature…so yes, I really really should!

TheBrick
    Free Member

GW – Member
    yes and no

every time I cock a leg over a bike I’ll be reviving old and new skills but not always consiously practicing, rides for me last anything from 10-15 seconds to all day I rarely sit down and rarely do dull miles.
    eg. I’m going out on a nightride later, it’s only one mile and almost entirely DH and on a very quiet road. I’ll usually try to manual most of it, drift the one loose turn, rail others without braking or cut in to hop a kerb and try to make a tight consequential gap without braking at all. I’d be bored otherwise.

swoons…

GW
    Free Member

never

was out the other day with a mate and we were being shown/reminded how to bunnyhop. We both said we couldn’t remember the last time we just pissed about on our bikes
    I honestly can’t understand why folk like you even bother, no offence meant BTW.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do find this interesting – in motorcycling practising technique, reflecting analysing and so on is a part of the game – people actively practice and look yo hone skills especially practicing braking.

Its not in MTBing in the same way it appears.

I certainly will go out and practise techniquies on my MTB – probably most rides I will have something in mind that I am working on

scaredypants

I honestly can’t understand why folk like you even bother, no offence meant BTW.

none only a bit taken GW
    I’m not really a biker – I come here for the bitching

… but it’s the only sport I do routinely, so it’ll have to do as a description (mind, tubby middle-aged (not) IT worker is a fairer description and that’s what stw is REALLY for after all)

I “bother” ‘cos I quite like biking (esp compared to running, gym etc), want to keep minimally fittish just to ward off an early death and only find time for about 2hrs a week on the bike.

Have had 2 separate weeks in the alps over the last few years, both of which about doubled the amount of riding I did for the year and resulted in massive % improvement in my skillz due to riding time. Sadly, those don’t get much of an airing during the rest of my life, so they disappear quite fast.

Imagine how long it’d take me to reach your deific level even if I did practise 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

yes and no

eg. I’m going out on a nightride later, it’s only one mile and almost entirely DH and on a very quiet road. I’ll usually try to manual most of it, drift the one loose turn, rail others without braking or cut in to hop a kerb and try to make a tight consequential gap without braking at all. I’d be bored otherwise. yes and no

You can sometimes come across like a miserable sod GW, but you sound like you would be great fun to ride with.

@op. Constantly practicing, but rarely go out just to practice. Until I can do decent bunnyhops, manual for more than about 4 seconds and get the feeling of flowing down the trail consistently, I will continue to practice as much as I can.

kudos100
    Free Member

I do find this interesting – in motorcycling practising technique, reflecting analysing and so on is a part of the game – people actively practice and look yo hone skills especially practicing braking.

This is the big one for me. I still have a bad habit of dragging my brakes, leftover from when I was younger.

It seems a lot of the other skills are pretty easy to fix, but braking is one that takes time to get out of bad habits.

fenred
    Free Member

I honestly struggle to see how and why people don’t practice. Bikes, musical instrument, driving, sport, cooking..anything really. The more you practise the better you get?! If time limits, ten mins Evey now and then is better than nufink.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its also practising braking hard – the number of folk I hear saying ” mustn’t use the front brake here” and who are unable to stop quickly surprises me.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t really know. I used to practice my hops, grinds, 180s etc when I bmxed, but don’t really do any tricks on a mtb. I try to manual when I go riding but they never improve. tbh my favourite kind of riding now is having fun on jumps and drops etc so I guess I’m always practicing jumping and trying to improve at them and smooth as possible. I sometimes have a ride around the village just messing around hopping up curbs and stuff and again trying to manual, suppose that’s practice in a way. Oh and I’ve stared kicking the back end round into puddles to make em splash, it’s fun 🙂

nedrapier

If you go to Ashton court and don’t want to practice berms and pumping, you’ll be right cross!

seosamh77
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Its not in MTBing in the same way it appears.I think the difference might be that most people have been riding bikes since they were children, so the skills learned then follow seemlessly into adulthood. So you just learn things when you need to, the base is there really.

With motorbiking, well it’s something most people learn as adults so probably feel they need to actively practice it.

well maybe, i’m just guessing.

kudos100
    Free Member

I honestly struggle to see how and why people don’t practice. Bikes, musical instrument, driving, sport, cooking..anything really. The more you practise the better you get?! If time limits, ten mins Evey now and then is better than nufink.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. I will often ride my 24″ dj bike round the village for a bit of fresh air. The ride might only last 10 minutes, but I am messing about, practicing manuals, bunnyhops and cornering.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

seosamh77

I am talking about people who have been riding motorcycles for decades still doing it – actively practising technique and analysing / reflecting on it.

Its just a differnt ethos I think

tomsk01
    Free Member

Sometimes I practice to improve my skills, sometimes I’m out for a social ride, sometimes I just want to get out and clear my head, as long as I’m riding I’m happy

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t actively practise, no. But all riding makes you better, right?

GW
    Free Member

Aarghhhhhhh!! FFS TJ it’s nothing like motorcycling no matter how often you try to make comparisons. every single second I just rode would have been braking a law on a MC

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I love doing but not motivated to practise, and not just. Coaching works well for me for this reason.

nedrapier

I think the difference might be that most people have been riding bikes since they were children, so the skills learned then follow seemlessly into adulthood. So you just learn things when you need to, the base is there really.
    With motorbiking, well it’s something most people learn as adults so probably feel they need to actively practice it.

I’ve been riding bikes since I was 3ish. I’ve always wanted to be better than I am. I get a kick out of learning, no matter what it is, bikes, boards, work…. so I’ve always got an idea of what I want to improve.

What makes me happy, puts a smile on my face, excites me, calms me down, puts things right with the world, it’s coming back from a climb, bike, ride whatever, having “got” something better than I have before.

Nailed a couple of V4s this evening! 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I know people who go down the local Industrial Estate and put out cones and all sorts and spend hours practising skills. Unfortunately, my current regular riding partner does MTB only for fitness and getting out in the hills. He just takes the p1$$ if I ever suggest skills courses or practising skills. I went on a skills course at Gisburn this weekend and was absolutely hopeless, despite considering myself a reasonable bikist.

nedrapier

Calm down GW, it’s not necessarily about motorcycling, or biking, or climbing, or anything. But it can be. Some people go out wanting to be be better when they come back than they were when they left. Some aren’t so bothered. Doesn’t matter what they were doing while they were out.

chakaping
    Free Member

It seems a lot of the other skills are pretty easy to fix, but braking is one that takes time to get out of bad habits.

I do too much comfort braking.

It’s usually in situations where I’m not entirely confident in my riding skills so my body says “whoah there” and makes my fingers grab the brake levers.

nedrapier

chapaking, try comfort braking with the back brake only. it doesn’t do as much, doesn’t affect the steering as much and if all you want is to tickle a lever before a bend, it does the trick!

Works for me…

spacemonkey

Used to practice jumpy stuff a few years back at Swinley, but didn’t really keep it up (no pun intended 🙂 ).

Don’t tend to see myself as the sort to practice per se – more a case of just riding. Having said that, I did just buy the DirtSchool DVD and can see myself practicing loads of stuff from that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    I’ve been riding bikes since I was 3ish. I’ve always wanted to be better than I am. I get a kick out of learning, no matter what it is, bikes, boards, work…. so I’ve always got an idea of what I want to improve.

Different people do learn differently, everything i’ve ever learned has been without really practicing, biking, guitar, work etc. Everything I have learned is basically effortless I just batter into something when i feel like it. It infuriates my brother actually as he has always been that focused repetitive type of learner. I’m not, I learn things by just going on a journey with them..

Maybe that’s another difference. like i say dunno, I’m just blabbering! 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

I am talking about people who have been riding motorcycles for decades still doing it – actively practising technique and analysing / reflecting on it.

Its just a differnt ethos I thinkI think it’s clear from this thread though that there are alot of people who practice mtbing. So maybe not so different, just that there are different ways of learning.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Totally – always working on my consequential gaps.

Bez

WTF is a “consequential gap”? Is it the Suez Canal?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Do you "practice" ?’ is closed to new replies.