Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Do you people not have bells on your bikes now?
  • Kahurangi

Is this thread still going?

3 pronged attack.

From a distance: bell, *ping* *ping* or old fashioned *trrriiiiinnggggg* types are both good. They are instantly recognisable as “I’m a cyclist and I’d like to get past please”

If no response then slow down on approach. A WHRRRRRRRRRR from a Pro2 hub followed by SQUEAK SQUEAK from the brakes usually works to alert the most sleepy walkers or argumentative families.

If you’re closer still, then try a firendly “hello, excuse me” or a “HELLO EXSCUSE ME CAN I GET PAST”.

Ringing a bell at close range can seem antagonistic, shouting from far away might not be heard.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nothing like a good STW moral outrage thread to rumble on for pages and pages. It’s compulsive reading actually.

Had an incident last week commuting out of London. Some bloke was wobbling down the road on a BSO, pootling at fairly sedate pace. Myself and several other riders passed him, only to be forced to stop at a red traffic light 300 yards further along.

Anyway, said chap pootled up to the light, mounted the pavement and cycled across the road on a green pelican crossing light, oblivious to the pedestrians forced out of his way before plopping back onto the road again, in doing so he ensured that we had to overtake him again just as the road narrowed to one lane 100 yards further on.

The lights went green and I quickly caught up with the wobbly fellow, who in turn had decided that he was going to nip past an even slower moving, even more wobbly middle aged bloke in front. I should have been patient, but the moral indignation about being made to overtake this chump for a second time made me scream “Passing, on your right!” when I was about five feet from his lughole.

Poor chap nearly jumped out of his skin.

I feel a little guilty about that, but slow moving RLJers who necessitate a second overtake irk me something rotten

SD-253
    Free Member

You know I have never come across a walker who got a hump on when I let them know I was passing with a simple coming pass AND if you are on a quiet country road the same applies you let them know you are there. Some half wit at the start of this rant gave a bit of a verbal abuse when someone stepped in front of him. People including him do forget to look over the shoulder before stepping to the right on quite road.

SD-253
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    Nothing like a good STW moral outrage thread to rumble on for pages and pages. It’s compulsive reading actually.

Had an incident last week commuting out of London. Some bloke was wobbling down the road on a BSO, pootling at fairly sedate pace. Myself and several other riders passed him, only to be forced to stop at a red traffic light 300 yards further along.

Anyway, said chap pootled up to the light, mounted the pavement and cycled across the road on a green pelican crossing light, oblivious to the pedestrians forced out of his way before plopping back onto the road again, in doing so he ensured that we had to overtake him again just as the road narrowed to one lane 100 yards further on.

The lights went green and I quickly caught up with the wobbly fellow, who in turn had decided that he was going to nip past an even slower moving, even more wobbly middle aged bloke in front. I should have been patient, but the moral indignation about being made to overtake this chump for a second time made me scream “Passing, on your right!” when I was about five feet from his lughole.

Poor chap nearly jumped out of his skin.

I feel a little guilty about that, but slow moving RLJers who necessitate a second overtake irk me something rotten

Do you know PJM1974 you sound just like a car driver who has to slow down for a cyclist? Did he slow you down by a lot? No right to do that OPPS I am talking like a car drive. Have you ever thought he may not be as fit as you…….and maybe you will be as unfit as him one day? It is unbelievable you had to overtake him twice he was right out of order.

“Passing, on your right!” when I was about five feet from his lughole. Poor chap nearly jumped out of his skin.

you are a brave man aren’t you. Would you have done that if he was younger than you and just doodling a long……..I doubt it. What a hard man you are. What would you have done if it was an old lady kicked her off her bike?

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Do you people not have bells on your bikes now?’ is closed to new replies.