Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • beer substitute
  • meehaja
    Free Member

due to various medical problems I can’t drink alcohol anymore (which pretty much sucks.) I’m trying to cut down my massive cola intake but what else is there? I’ve been drinking a lot of blueberry juice which is quite palatable, an the obvious orange juice/water/squash.

I’ve tried those schler things, which are ok, but pricey for what they are. I quite like fentimans original cola, but there must be something else out there which I can drink socially on an evening while friends and family are drinking wine etc which is a bit more interesting and isn’t a kids drink (sick of hearing “i think we’ve got some squash for the kids somewhere if you like”.

Any suggestions?

ton

skunk…………thru a pipe, without nasty tobacco

iDave
    Free Member

chew khat?

JEngledow
    Free Member

I quite often drink Tonic when I’m driving and find it goes much better with food etc. than coke

Joxster
    Free Member

Lime and Soda
    Virgin Mary (a Bl00dy Mary without the Vodka)
    Any of the juices by Bottle Green
    Ginger Beer

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ginger beer and lime

ourmaninthenorth

Can you drink non-alcohilic beer, or is the cause related to all beer?

If you can drink the non-alco stuff, then there was a thread on here a while back (started by me) about non-alco beers with plenty of good suggestions.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am with Joxter – lime and soda for me.

I went through a period of abstinence a couple of years ago and tried a few different things, got fed up of paying beer prices for J20 etc and settled on that. Quite nice really and still have it now if I am driving.

Makes you piss like a racehorse if you end up having it, pint for pint, with your beer-drinking mates though.

hp_source

Another one for Ginger Beer here… there’s some really good ones out there, Bundaberg and Fever Tree are fairly easy to get hold of (Sainsbury’s by me does the Fever Tree one).

J0N
    Free Member

Are you allowed alcohol free alternatives? The best beer I’ve found is Bavaria sold at most super markets.
    Seems that most of the good foreign brewers do an alcohol free alternative. Erdinger, Sagres, fustenberg, Pauliner. All seems expensive for what is effectively a soft drink.

MrNutt
    Free Member

soda, crushed ice, mint, lime & salt
    soda & orange
    soda & blackcurrent

or there’s always Becks Blue, Bavaria wheat/0.0 or other non alco beers

oh, and apple & soda, and cranberry & soda etc etc j2o & soda etc

MrKmkII
    Free Member

doesn’t fentimans have alcohol in? i used to drink a lot more, i just have tea now! not tried this at a social occasion though, mind…

mefty
    Free Member

Tonic & Angostura bitters – although bitters are alcoholic then again you only need a few drops

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cider.

poppa
    Free Member

Dandielion and Burdock.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I once had to lay off alcohol for a few months. I couldn’t find any substitute i’m afraid.

After the third glass of whatever soft drink, I was so over hydrated that I couldn’t drink anymore.

I can’t believe that small quantities of alcohol would do you any harm after your prescribed period of abstinance.

Is this a permanent thing?

cranberry
    Free Member

Rock shandy ?

Put ice in a glass, a measure of angostura bitters, and top up with soda water and ginger ale.

Lovely.

meehaja
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have to try some of them.. I’ve not had alcohol free beer since last new years eve, when i had to be in work at 6am the next day. I felt so hung over! Although the fentimans has a small amount of alcohol, it doesn’t seem to affect me, I had can of that 4% stella last night and was in agony.

poppa
    Free Member

You could always try heroin.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

For a nice alcohol free/low alcohol option, try Erdinger. I’ve bought a case of that and Bitburger Drive for Xmas to satisfy the need to drink a beer flavoured option and hold a bottle to be social in company.

ourmaninthenorth

I had can of that 4% stella last night and was in agony

If pancreatitis, do look after yourself. Good friend of mine died from it at 27, entirely brought about by drinking.

No alco beers should the answer – shop here: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk

alexxx
    Free Member

Orange and Tonic, preferred with Gin but vnice on its own, or cranberry and tonic is another winner, get as much free fruit thrown in the glass as possible 😀

meehaja
    Free Member

sadly its not pancreatitis, never been a big drinker, but do enjoy good wine. After months of investigation, they decided that I have an enlarged spleen, that, mixed with alcohol intolerance points towards hodgkins lymphoma. A few more checks and apparently it is not that (which is good) but they suspect it may be some kind of cancer as it fits with my loss of appetite, increased tiredness, generally lowered immune system etc so just waiting on more tests to fully work out whats going on.

not sure heroin is a good idea, last time i got given codeine I went shopping with my wife and she found me stroking a cashmere jumper and smiling at the lights in marks and spencers!

Maybe a good cu of tea is the way forward!

alexxx
    Free Member

herbal tea’s are great, try the Lipton Moroccan one its surprisingly awesome, peppermint, chai (with honey) and mr scruff’s traditional bags are my other favs! 😀

Wish you a speedy recovery mate, Brew and a crack-pipe is still living the high life 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ginger beer and lime (poss with a drop of angostura bitters) – my pub derink when i’m on one of my swerving off alcohol kicks
    sparkling elderflower juice (tesco own brand was nice)

all a matter of taste, but imho herbal teas suck. i’d stick with booze and live with the consequences rather than put that shiyte near myself.
    a nice cup of lapsang souchong on the other hand..

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No alco beers should the answer – shop here: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk

That’s the link I got off another alcohol free STW thread, used them for my order, really prompt service.

@Meehaja, hope it all goes well mate.

andygreener

Ribena and lemonade or apple, blackcurrant squash and lemonade.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I know where you’re coming from – I can’t be doing with 99% of fizzy drinks unless I’m badly hungover and looking for a sugar hit from something like Irn Bru or original Lucozade.

For consumption at home – Belvoir Farms ginger cordial with sparkling mineral water. Quite fiery, depending on how much you add, and not too sweet.
    You could almost kid yourself on it was beer, if you didn’t know very much about beer.

Also quite like sparkling mineral water with A LOT of fresh lemon juice squeezed into it, like, half a lemon. Bitter, zesty and refreshing, in the manner of some beers.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

when I can’t be bothered drinking alchohol, I drink Purdeys,Virgin Mary’s, Sparkling Water, Irn Bru, Alchohol frei Furstenberg,

beej

Ginger beer, cranberry and lime. G/F also doesn’t drink and that’s probably her fave.

ourmaninthenorth

meehaja – sorry to hear that it’s looking a bit grim. Keep your chin up, and remember we’re all here to show you plenty of love (so to speak).

Oh, and keep riding your bike..! You’ve got Petesgaff as a (rather insane) example to follow now… 😀

chipps

I enjoy a Coke and grapefruit on occasion. Pour it carefully (grapefruit last) and you’ll get an upsidedown Guinness. Mix it up and it looks a horrible brown. Anyway, it’s a little different…

Bitter Lemon is good on a hot day too.

meehaja
    Free Member

Got to get me some Belvoir fruit farms stuff, I grew up on the Belvoir estate! Right, I’m off to the supermarket to buy some nice drinks, thanks you lot!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘beer substitute’ is closed to new replies.