Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • Do YOU even buy Singletrack?
  • maxtorque

Read? sometimes, look at pictures – always! 😉

Actually, i like the writing style, the writers don’t take themselves too seriously, don’t try to ram down your throat how gnar or rad they ride, don’t spend too long just reviewing new stuff, and generally give me 10mins off just daydreaming about riding in the places they show (even if i have no real intention of flying off and doing the same).

In this respect, and call me old fashioned here, i really do preffer the print edition, something with a quality feel you can hold in your hand, rather than peer at on some monitor or other (also safer to read in the bath after a long dirty ride…………..)

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve subscribed since issue 1 with a year or so off around 2004 IIRC.

It’s varied over the years from being brilliant to being pretty average (It’s going through a good phase at the mo IMO). I stick with it because I know that it’ll get better when it’s meh and I also consider it my contribution towards keeping the forum going (in addition to the brilliant content I post…).

smogmonster

Ive been a subcriber for donkeys years…pretty much from the start. Do the Premium ‘thing’ now. I have to admit i was close to cancelling until about 3 issues ago, when there was finally something worth reading…for the first time in about a year. It had turned into boring, pretentious shit, though it has improved a huge amount since number 73/74. So i’ll stick with it a while longer…im kinda fond of it so i give it more slack than any other mtb mag out there – which is why i cancelled my MBR sub ages ago…cos that REALLY is a dreadful mag these days (since Specialized stopped paying them for nothing but 10/10 scores by a remarkable coincidence 😉 😯

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Did for ages, then stopped…

Signed up for a sub – got a free t-shirt 😆

Found I was only looking at the pics and adverts… so stopped again… for now!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Print +digital here too. I remember when MTB Pro folded, all the comments in the back of it stating why ‘they’ ride-it’s not changed one bit (for me). This mag is along the same lines as MTB Pro and that’s why i like it. I’m not ‘rad’, i don’t ‘roost’ anywhere. I just ride and i like to hear about others who do and their experiences (the pics are pretty).

If i’m honest, this forum i can take or leave. I keep coming back because it’s funny and interesting, generally people are helpful too. However, sometimes i see trends on here of the worst of current society too, like intolerance and negativity. Still, it’s a cross section of people and it is the interwebs after all.

I like it.

firestarter
    Free Member

Used to subscribe but started to develop a pile of unopened plastic covered mags on my shelf so stopped, also lost my mojo so to speak and stopped riding bike but I’ve just bought a new one and will have a look at the new styled mag when I get a chance.

jeffl

Used to get a subscription many years ago and forgot to renew it. Always been lurking on the forum and now getting back into biking so decided to go for the digital subscription. Means I get to read the latest mag anywhere my phone is and I support the guys and the website.

Dogsby

I have subscribed since issue one but if I had to buy it every time I would probably have missed a few. I get what Sadexpunk says about supporting the STW team. At the outset when they needed 500 subscribers to make it viable I signed up and it rather felt that we were all involved. It creates a form of loyalty that makes you stick with it through issues that might not have been so good.

Dogsby

Kato

I don’t buy the hard copy mag, but I subscribe and read the PDF’s

mountainman

Yes buy the mag makes good bedtime read at work n rest of team seem to enjoy it too,share canoe mags etc too.

Northwind

I do. Maybe I’m not that demanding, I subscribe to all the UK mags 😉

tthew

I go and buy it every month from a shop, which seems pretty daft. Was intending to do the t-shirt and a tenner thing the other month, but missed it. Hoping they’ll do another similar offer before Christmas.

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’m a digital subscriber but find that I never actually read the PDF mag.
    I use the forum and the rest of the site but I don’t actually enjoy reading the magazine on an iPad.

I’m trying to decide whether to go back to a print subscription, at least that way I’ll be reading the mag!

labsey
    Free Member

I read it. Much better since the revamp. Also buy MBR sometimes but I prefer the columns and features in ST.

chojin
    Free Member

@Wisepranker: exactly why I went to print and digital, I found reading the digital edition on a tablet a chore.
    The print edition is lovely to read (and in fact lovely to hold too).

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I subscribe. Probably the best written bike mag on the market.

somafunk

I have to agree with the “dislike digital copies” comments above, it just doesn’t feel right to try and read it on my ipad never mind view it on my monitor, i subscribe to a few other mags not related to mtb’ing and they all seem to offer this service but i’ve never read books nor magazines on my ipad – never will either, but then again i also dislike reading books to the point of i’d rather buy the actual physical book than read it on the screen for a fraction of the price.

There’s something comforting about handling a magazine or book in one hand wi a big mug of tea or coffee in the other.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Nope! Won’t pay the prices they ask for mags these days, just not worth ot IMO

Plus, i’d rather ride hrough trees than read print off something im gonna throw away after a few weeks

ahwiles
    Free Member

Do YOU even buy Singletrack?

sometimes – i quite like it.

but it’s not good for me – i can’t afford any of the kit/bikes/clothes/tyres/helemts/bitsnbobs they review – and then i get depressed.

Singletrack is/are no worse than any other mags for only reivewing really expensive stuff.

(how about a review – which forks for less than £200?)

but the other mags are either crap, or unreadable, Singletrack is really quite good in comparison.

Bunnyhop

I have bought every single copy since the very first issue.

Imo it’s very interesting as a lot of the articles are written by a women, which is good from my point of view.

However the grammar isn’t too good (get your act together boys, seeing as Mark used to be a teacher).

user-removed
    Free Member

My copy lives in the bog. Had a couple of years subscribing but let it lapse – just forgot about it. It was always read cover to cover. I missed the American writer’s articles (sorry, name escapes me) – really well put together, thoughtful pieces.

IdleJon

Flaperon – Member

No – I find the content good but the typography deeply unpleasant. Perhaps my small brain just doesn’t appreciate taste.

I do subscribe and have bought every copy since the first but I agree with above. I struggle with the typeface every so often, and it’s one of the few mage I have to remove my glasses to read.

I read the the forum when I’m bored and find that it often has very little to do with actual mountain biking. I sometims wonder why a lot of people post on here – why they found this forum – when they are patently not keen MTBers. However, thats not the question asked…..

yunki
    Free Member

I couldn’t stomach can’t get enough of the flowery poetic stuff about biking to be honest.

IMO it makes a mockery of the other mags..

Everything else on the shelf reminds me of that spotty MTB wierdo in the pub who tells cringeworthy stories about how rad he is, with his floppy hair, his infantile mates and boring boring sense of humour, and their dead eyed vacuous girlfriends with two expressions and horsey laughs..

Everything in them reads like Barry Scott the Cillit Bang seller is reading it out loud to you while furiously tossing himself off in a ski lift..

Singletrack was the first mag I read that advised you to try and make do with what you’ve got rather than advising trying to buy a lifestyle..

Ironically I can’t afford to buy a copy any more though..

retro83
    Free Member

Can’t find anywhere to buy it anymore. Is it subscription only?

monkeyboyjc

Used to be a print subscriber, but it ran out a couple of months back – will prob get a digital sub before x-mass.

hh45
    Free Member

I subscribed pretty much from the beginning until 2011 when I was threatened with a ban for being rude on the forum so I picked up my ball etc.

There was a bit too much lauding of being unfit, living up north, coffee, absurdly expensive bikes as well as some really dull articles such as the ST team reviewing their faves for the year such that every advertiser got a positive mention at least once. How was that ever meant to make a good read?

Over the ten years there was a lot of good stuff as well and some inspirational travel stuff.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Just digital for me, I don’t like the clutter of loads of magazines around the house.

I bought the first ‘redesigned’ magazine but thought the printing was a bit poor, I thought it was pitched like “the ride” or “Privateer” quality but it was just a less glossy cover stock and horrible standard internal pages. If it was a nice piece of print I’d buy it. I download it and read/skim through it on my iPad, but really just subscribe it to support the forum.

footflaps

I subscribe to ST and Privateer, although I never seem to get round to reading them both properly….

I mainly subscribe to ST to support the guys at STW Towers as I think this forum is such a great resource.

brack
    Free Member

Nope

Subscribed following a Christmas gift subscription – what a pleasure that year was…emails, phone calls killed the gesture.

Delayed delivery
    Missed months

Blah blah

leffeboy

Gave up on the paper copies as it was just too expensive for non UK folks for the amount I read. However I love the digital version as the price is way more manageable and the extra stuff in the app version is great. I got into it initially as I like the way the the equipment reviews never too effusive and at the end you usually came out with an accurate idea of whether or not you would like it. That dissappeared for a while but seems to be back now.

The flowery writing is a bit difficult because you really have to sit and read it to get into it but sometimes it pays off and the writer has managed to capture the moment well.

Would love to see more on uk based builders – frames, kit, bikes, trails even if they have been done before. It’s nice to see how stuff progresses.

So yep – getting it and enjoying it for the mo

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Subscriber and now digital viewer as well, always been best mag out there IMHO. The relaunched mag has made it even better and I like reading everything that Jenn Hopkins writes, she has been a great addition to the team.
    I subscribe to Dirt Rag and Bike digitally also, so much cheaper and much easier to get hold of than the mags.
    Also subscribe to Privateer but I’m still unsure with it and will probably stop soon.
    Only buy Dirt regular of the other mags and it is of decent quality but the font/printing on strange colour backgrounds still annoys me as I find it difficult to read.

mefty
    Free Member

written by a women

However the grammar isn’t too good

Coughs.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Yeah I subscribe. Slightly older than middle aged and not too much of a fat knacker. Also take Privateer but that is going to stop soon as I find less and less to read in it. Singletrack mag just suits me; bit of travel, good photos and decent reviews, plus I like the new format.

IdleJon

brack – Member

Nope

Subscribed following a Christmas gift subscription – what a pleasure that year was…emails, phone calls killed the gesture.

Delayed delivery
    Missed months

Blah blah

I feel left out. I’ve never had a single email or phone call. Why don’t you care, STW? 😥

nbt

typo != grammar

bigjim

I only buy dirt, steve jones is the hunter s thompson of bike journalism.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I mainly[u]don’t[/u] subscribe to ST to support the guys at STW Towers i click on a few of the adverts on the right instead as I think this forum is such a great resource.

😀

the mag never passes the WHSmith test, i.e. could I not finish reading anything that’s interesting in 5-10 mins browsing in smiths

mefty
    Free Member

typo != grammar

That’s what Singletrack always say, never understood what they meant.

chakaping
    Free Member

I subscribe to Dirt Rag and Bike digitally also

Is Bike any good now? I’ve been reading some 1990s issues I found in the loft and it was ace.

And yes I subscribe to ST mag (and Dirt and MBUK), enjoy all three – although the last one mainly for the free hats, gloves, socks and buffs.

weeksy

I wasn’t even aware there was a Singletrack magazine. I’ve never seen it in a Supermarket.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Do YOU even buy Singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.