Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • Do YOU even buy Singletrack?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

May or may not flick through it at the newsagents but very rarely buy it. I think the last one I bought was Xmas 2010 purely for the calendar.

Have never been interested in niche bikes, routes or other people’s jobs/adventures so I guess I am not part of the demographic

Beagleboy

Like Binner’s, I’ve been a subscriber from issue 1 and still have them all in a box in the garage. Been absolutely hooked since the article in issue 2 (maybe) about riding in the mud, then detouring through the town on the way home to proudly display the silliness of our hobby!

At the time I thought I was alone in this dirty habit! 😆

ART

Another from the ‘original Binners subscription posse’TM here. Would be interesting to know how many of those original 200 or so subscribers still do so – and why. I know why, I just can’t be bothered to type it all out here, cause it’s nearly lunchtime and I’m hungry.

chakaping
    Free Member

On the subject of the calendar – (as I’m sure the ST team are reading this) – please please pretty please get some better pics on the next one!

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bike aren’t bad in that regard, tbh. They seem to be doing a good job of testing their Yamasaki to destruction, and I forget the guy’s name but he pretty heavily modified the Z1000SX he had on test to see if he could get to a state where it was ideal for him. They’ve done quite a few looks back at used stuff too.

I menat Bike as a GOOD example and my example of ‘new shock’ was aimed at the MTB market. My bad.

Bike is the only mag I subscribe to, although I should go for MCN Sport as well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Used to buy it back in the day when it used to be full of articles (an near impossible to find to buy any where)

Tried it again last year, full of adds, and full of BS. ie Wheelset reviews with ‘cheap’ ones starting at £500!!! and light reviews where everyone knows that you cant get lights for under £100….

Hmmm not the mag for me thanks, in fact some what against the whole ethos of how the mag used to be.

Mark

Full of BS?
    I think not!

Our ad count is the lowest in any bike mag on the market with the exception of Privateer who are still searching for advertisers.

Our ad limit is 33% and has never been higher than that. That limit is self imposed too. We could, often go much higher but we cap the ads precisely to make sure the content outweighs the ads. Compare that to the industry standard minimum of 50%.

Which of us is talking BS?

This thread is great. The feedback is read by us all and we discuss it at great length. But when someone calls what we do BS I’ll bite back, because we are proud of what we do.

hora
    Free Member

This thread is great. The feedback is read by us all and we discuss it at great length.

Even the new glasses suggestion? :mrgreen:

Oh and wheres issue 67? I went into two WHSmiths to pick up over the weekend 🙁 I might as well subscribe.

nbt

You probably should as STW will get more direct revenue (as opposed to WHS taking a cut) and you;ll get it earlier – think ours arrived last wednesday?

hora
    Free Member

Right, do the Tshirts come up tight? I guess I should ask for XL just to be sure.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes; paper copy from WHSmith. I’d prefer to buy it from the LBS but mine do not stock it.

I don’t sub because I can’t choose when I do/don’t want it. And also, I can’t be doing with reading it on a computer. The “Premium” subs thing is also quite annoying.

binners

You should subscribe. Its a proven fact that forum members with the blue ‘P’ by their names are far more well-endowed than those without one, and miles betterer at horizontal jogging 😉

nbt

😯 😯

Mrs NBT has “our”

DezB
    Free Member

Right, do the Tshirts come up tight?

No, they are normal sized. My Large fits like a large.

*said he, with a blue “P” next to his name*

Mark

The “Premium” subs thing is also quite annoying

Why?

binners

A man who oozes your charm and charisma has no need for a mere ‘P’ nbt. And its a sure sign of confidence and assurance that you let your wife use it 😉

nbt

*is relieved by Binners’s reassurances*

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi singlecrack,
    I’ve not read the full thread so apologies if someone has already answered. I’ve looked at your account and when you singend up January 2012 you had to choose Direct Debit if you wanted the free t-shirt. You didn’t so you didn’t. However if you really want a t-shirt head over to the shop to get one at a subscriber discounted price.

Cheers
    Patrick

hora
    Free Member

Forum user Pook said he never got his tshirt. It was out of stock(?) at the time apparently?

kcal

yes. subscriber number a bit higher than 200 actually.

recall carting 2/3 boxes of the original Issue 1 round Edinburgh trying to flog ’em to LBSs… and delivering a box of Issue 1s to BikeTreks I think it was, whilst en route returning from London.

has had its ups and downs but it’s still there and I’m still a subscriber.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes a subscriber since I saw it in the cafe at Afan about 5 years ago. Much the best mtb magazine.

timraven

Yup, subscribed almost immediately it came out, I’ve rarely been disappointed with the quality and breadth of the articles and I like the kit reviews even if I can’t afford much of it.

Oh, and I’m over 50, but not a fat knacker…. well, not most days 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

I used to subscribe. I cancelled my subscription after Marks ‘Ratners’ incident.

binners

‘Ratners’ incident

?

cinnamon_girl

Long-term subscriber here and still enjoy the mag as much. It really does inspire me to get out. 🙂

Photography is stunning, love reading about riding areas around the UK as well as overseas. Jenn’s writing brings a new dimension to the features – great stuff!

Kit tests include a wide range of products across all price points, most important these days.

The only thing I would like to see is book reviews relating to riding ie guide books, mapping software, maps etc.

I’m happy. 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mark – sorry rushed post. By BS I mean its bull that cheap wheel sets start at £500, no they don’t, you can get good ones for about £200and lights are not £100 or more, you can buy perfectly good ones for £25!

Add wise you certainly run way more than back in the day..

Edit: re CG’s post above, perhaps I bought the only 2 mags that didn’t test budget range stuff…

Coyote
    Free Member

Hora, issue 67 went in the recycling some time ago. I’m currently enjoying 77. 8)

Coyote
    Free Member

you can get good ones for about £200

Even less of you are prepared to shop around…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I lost interest a bit earlier this year but have loved the last couple of issues. It’s exactly the type of MTB mag I want to read. Keep it up.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, issue 67 went in the recycling some time ago. I’m currently enjoying 77

Do’h

I mean 76

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I recall a quote “do you watch Top Gear to see the Reliant Robin road test” I guess the problem is finding a balance between Bike pron and mundane stuff. I’m re-reading issue 47, the bonk issue-great read.

New stuff and latest gear is everywhere nowadays, what with the world wide net and everything, so it’s good to hear about experiences that can’t have a price put on them and anyone can have-regardless of bike/kit cost.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The “Premium” subs thing is also quite annoying

Why?

Because I have to subscribe to the mag to see this web-content, but I don’t want to subscribe for the reasons I gave. It’s like first and second class, or an elite club I suppose.

Sorry to sound miserable as I do actually really like the mag in paper format, even more since the recent upgrade.

footflaps

An up to date GPS / route planning SW thing would be good, those things move on so quickly….

wrecker
    Free Member

I do like the gear reviews and bike tests.
    I occasionally find it a bit northern-centric (nothing against the north) or should that be todmorden-centric?
    The presentation/layout doesn’t draw my eye and although some of the writing is really great; the experience can leave me a little flat. The photography is generally very high standard, but I sometimes want a little more. I have turned off my auto subscribe and will probably just pick up a paper copy when I feel it’ll interest me. I’ll probably keep my Dirt sub though.

hora
    Free Member

Can we have a North Downs review 🙂 not the wierd SHORT MBR ones that always crop up. They always read like some sort of after thought/padding out.

Bunnyhop

Would be interesting to know how many of those original 200 or so subscribers still do so –

As mentioned way up there ^^. I am one of the original subscribers and will continue to do so, unless they turn into MBUK, which is very unlikely.

Mark – Regarding the bad grammar and spelling mistakes, you should sort this out (even though most of them are from outside contibutors) thanks.

tenfoot

I subscribe digitally and enjoy reading the mag. Renewal is in January and i can’t see any reason not to.

I am middle aged though, not a fat nacker and i do like to go as fast as I can everywhere.

Spin
    Free Member

Nope. I find it self-absorbed and poorly writed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lol!

daveb
    Free Member

Subscriber and been very happy with it. Got my tshirt quite quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Do YOU even buy Singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.