Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 367 total)
  • Do you believe on god?
  • crikey
    Free Member

You’re really under par today aren’t you?

Science? As a thing?

What Evil Science is this?
    The same science that gives us knives and forks?

Shall we put Nasty Science in jail?

Go and have a lie down, you’re obviously a wee bit over tired.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No weapons were created before science FACT
    agree i hate the way that kids get taught religion in school – no need. My son at a non religious school got a picture of the snake that tempted them in the garden of eden to colour in. We gave it a tattoo that said MYTH and sent it back in with a picture of the big bang on the other side.

wormhole

having spent the afternoon at the funeral of my best mate i am pretty sure its horse shite! why whould he put a family thro that greif, what can it possibly achieve?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime

divisive- unless everyone at that school follows the same religion those who don’t will be excluded / made to feel different

indoctrinating – teaching children that myths are true – of course its indoctrination. 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Go and have a lie down, you’re obviously a wee bit over tired.

😆

Whereas you’re obviously utterly exhausted and sleep-deprived. 😉

Shall we put Nasty Science in jail?

Shall we condemn Nice Religion? Hmm? 😕

The same Religion that gave us the basis for almost all our current laws?

Quite why we’re discussing Religion on a ‘Do you believe in God’ thread I don’t know, but there you go. If you can’t seperate things then I spose we’d better humour you. 😐

crikey
    Free Member

Quite why we’re discussing Religion on a ‘Do you believe in God’ thread I don’t know, but there you go.

It’s a discussion. These things evolve…

Did you see what I did there?

Anyway, you know I’m right, so stop it and go to sleep.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elfinsafety

It didn’t. Religion co opted and codified the morals we evolved as a tribal plains dwelling ape, nomadic huntergatherer and farmer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You and Iboth know you will collapse with exhaustion long before I am spent, so why not take your own advice and get yer head down eh?

Go on; you know it’s for the best. 😉

And you know you can’t win against me, so it’s pretty futile trying really isn’t it? 🙂

Do yourself a favour son, and give it up now while you’ve still a modicum, of self respect.

You too TJ. Can’t be doing with your nonsense tonight.

MSP

There are laws that imprison man, and laws that set man free. Our system of law seems to be mainly about the former.

v8ninety

Quite why we’re discussing Religion on a ‘Do you believe in God’ thread I don’t know,

Maybe because the two are inextricably linked? Seems unsuprising to me. Those who say ‘I believe in god but I’m not religious’ are kidding themselves IMO, they are maybe just practising a religion all of their own.

BTW Elfin, no witty comeback? I’m hurt…

crikey
    Free Member

Lol, no point in trying to out-Elfin the Elf Master.

Seriously though, you do seem a wee bit under the weather, and I think you smell a bit of wee. Have you been a bad boy this weekend?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Those who say ‘I believe in god but I’m not religious’ are kidding themselves IMO

Oh really?

Care to explain (not that you’ve managed to do that at all at any stage in this thread, so quite honestly i’m not expecting any change there)?

Do you ever stop to consider your own arrogance? I mean, I do occasionally, but then let’s face it, mine is at least justifiable. 😀

no point in trying to out-Elfin the Elf Master.

Here is Wisdom. You will be well advised to listen to it.

Have you been a bad boy this weekend?

More than likely. I’ll let you wonder as to how…

joolsburger
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

divisive- unless everyone at that school follows the same religion those who don’t will be excluded / made to feel different

indoctrinating – teaching children that myths are true – of course its indoctrination.

TJ – prepare for a shock…

… everyone IS different.

Being different in itself is not a bad thing. Schools are used to dealing with difference – they can handle it.

(But BTW, the point you make seems to suggest that you are more concerned about the kids who are not religious? Maybe it should be compulsory, so that everyone does feel included?)

As per my previous post – my daughter goes to a church group to sing once a month – you know what, it’s the singing and the meeting of her friends that she likes, not the feeling of being one of Jesus’ little soldiers.

As for the indoctrination stuff, I’m sure that even my daughter, who actually goes to church from time to time and goes to a Christian VA school hears more stories about fairies presented as fact than she does about Jesus Christ.

sofatester
    Free Member

Do you believe on god?

No.

Please make it stop now.

bullheart
    Free Member

Being different in itself is not a bad thing.

Hmmmmm……..

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Please make it stop now.

That sounds like some sort of prayer.

v8ninety

lol, what makes you think that I am arrogant? I mean, I might be, but I always try to see both sides of the argument, and I try never to express my opinion as fact, unlike you.

Explanation to my last; What I mean is, that if you believe in God, you are religious. I think that is pretty much the definition of the word. hang on…

re·li·gionNoun/ri?lij?n/1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Yep, there you go. I accept completely that a person can believe in god but not be a part of organised religion…

Also I’m quite new to here. what is ‘out-Elfining’? Is it presenting your own opinions as the god given irrefutable truth? pretty sure i’m not doing that…

El-bent
    Free Member

Oh dear. Next you’ll be telling us morality didn’t exist before the bible.

razor1548
    Free Member

Too many stupid people. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

re·li·gionNoun/ri?lij?n/1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

How about the Religious Society of Friends aka Quakers. Some believe in a god, some don’t. Or Buddhism for that matter?

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps their god’s could have a word with the dictionary and sort it out ?

Lifer
    Free Member

(But BTW, the point you make seems to suggest that you are more concerned about the kids who are not religious? Maybe it should be compulsory, so that everyone does feel included?)

What about people who have a different faith? I had friends at school who weren’t allowed to sit in assembly/lessons about easter/christmas etc because we used to sing a few hymns/learn about Jesus and they weren’t CoE (was a standard state primary).

It’s like suggesting everyone who goes to a certain school should be Liverpool supporters ‘so they feel included’. Perhaps you should respect that fact that some people don’t invest anything in football, or that some people are staunch Everton fans.

v8ninety

How about the Religious Society of Friends aka Quakers. Some believe in a god, some don’t. Or Buddhism for that matter?

Yeah, how about them?

No seriously what about them? Its just a quote from a dictionary, that I quickly found to explain to Elfin why I thought that someone who believed in god was by that virtue, religious (because he said I haddened explained myself) I never suggested that someone couldn’t be part of a religious community without believing in god. I hadn’t even thought about it either way…

So you can be a Quaker without believing in god? never knew that. how curious. Whats the point?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

what makes you think that I am arrogant? I mean, I might be, but I always try to see both sides of the argument, and I try never to express my opinion as fact, unlike you.

Cobblers. Utter Cobblers. All you’ve done is try to present your onions as the Truth, and rubbish any alternative views.

What a joke this is. You’ve reduced things down to a mere dictionary definition, whilst ignoring what I’ve stated about myself.

What I mean is, that if you believe in God, you are religious

Right, let’s have a look:

religious(re·li·gious)

Pronunciation:/ri?lij?s/

adjective

relating to or believing in a religion:
    both men were deeply religious, intelligent, and moralistic
    religious music
    (of a belief or practice) forming part of someone’s thought about or worship of a divine being:
    he has strong religious convictions
    belonging or relating to a monastic order or other group of people who are united by their practice of religion:
    religious houses were built on ancient pagan sites
    treated or regarded with a devotion and scrupulousness appropriate to worship:
    I have a religious aversion to reading manuals

Ok so. I don’t actually practice any form of worship, or adhere to any religious practices or doctrines. So other than a belief in the possibility of a ‘god’ (and we’ve bin over that bit before concerning my own particular beliefs), how do you then define me as ‘religious’?

I don’t belong to any religious order. My beliefs are simply my own beliefs. By your definitions, the 2nd definition you have quoted applies to atheists just as equally, no? Cos according to my copy of the Oxford english dictionary, point 3 states that a religion may be:

A controlling influence on a person’s life.

So, I can just as equally claim that if you are an ‘atheist’, and belive that no god exists, then you are equally as religious as anyone else. 😉

what is ‘out-Elfining’?

In the Fullness of Time, all shall be revealed….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

She also thinks the vicar is cool.

I bet all those kids that were abused by catholic priests thought they were cool at one point.

Being different in itself is not a bad thing

bullies normally target the different kids, don’t they?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh dear. Next you’ll be telling us morality didn’t exist before the bible.

Oh dear. No I won’t.

How are you going to cope?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So, I can just as equally claim that if you are an ‘atheist’, and belive that no god exists, then you are equally as religious as anyone else

how can not believing provide a controlling influence?

religion is a controlling influence because it provides guidelines to be followed, possibly based on the 10 (or even the original 15) commandments, or it allows you to ignore those guidelines and then repent it all in church later.

v8ninety

All you’ve done is try to present your onions as the Truth, and rubbish any alternative views.

Is this a fact, or your opinion? lol

See, when you say rubbishing alternative views, I say offering alternative views. If anyone is rubbishing people, calling them arrogant, etc, it would be you, i’m afraid.

Well done you’ve found a slightly different definition, doesn’t make mine wrong. I still think (see opinion, not fact) that if you believe in god then you are religous, even if it IS a religion with only one member. (I shall call it Elfinism) I accept that you think different.

Anyway this is a fairly pointless agument about semantics.

So, I can just as equally claim that if you are an ‘atheist’, and belive that no god exists, then you are equally as religious as anyone else.

I guess you could, if you wanted, Dawkins certainly presents an almost religous fervour.

I would however describe myself as more of the agnostic persuasion, in that I don’t really care either way, as it is pretty much irrelevant to me in my daily life.

i’m just bemused and interested as to why others hold such strong beliefs.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

religion is a controlling influence because it provides guidelines to be followed, possibly based on the 10 (or even the original 15) commandments, or it allows you to ignore those guidelines and then repent it all in church later.

Erm, you are aware that’s just Christianity, aren’t you?

See, when you say rubbishing alternative views, I say offering alternative views. If anyone is rubbishing people, calling them arrogant, etc, it would be you, i’m afraid.

You are wrong, but why are you afraid?

I shall call it Elfinism

It is the only True Way.

v8ninety

Elfinism

It is the only True Way. Sounds like a religion to me.

You are wrong,in my humble opinion but why are you afraid?

FTFY 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Humble opinion? Elf? 😆

El-bent
    Free Member

It is the only True Way.

It is. Never before have I heard anyone so versed in the writings of the Greek philosopher testiculees*.

*disclaimer: this may or may not be true as Zulu11 inhabits this forum also.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, you’ve broken it.

You are wrong, but why are you afraid?

There you go, fixed it again.

Don’t go trying to fiddle with it again please. You’ll do yourself a mischief. 😐

It is. Never before have I heard anyone so versed in the writings of the Greek philosopher testiculees*.

Tsk. You can’t even do that propperly.

Leave it to those who can in future, eh?

TJ; shut up.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Erm, you are aware that’s just Christianity, aren’t you?

Erm, is it not Judaism as well?

Notice how I also said possibly?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All hail the mighty elf, Herald of the great prophet testiculees.

Lifer
    Free Member

Not Judaism, they have like 600 commandments.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are the ten sayings not separate from those 613 you speak of, known as
    “Aseret ha-D’varim”, or “Aseret ha-Dibrot”

see http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm

(let the power of google rein down upon the nay sayers…)

Lifer
    Free Member

Are the ten sayings not separate from those 613 you speak of

Um…yes?

I was being silly anyway, making sure Elf wasn’t wrong.

EDIT – would appear that the 10 are catergories which the 613 fit into (basically)

RealMan
    Free Member

I haven’t paid any attention since like page 4 or whatever, but can we let this die now? Every time I see “Do you believe on god?” on the front page it hurts a little. Or could a mod just change it to “in”? Please?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 367 total)

The topic ‘Do you believe on god?’ is closed to new replies.