DO NOT…

Home Forum Chat Forum DO NOT…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DO NOT…
  • qwerty
    Member

    Cut the end off a 240v cable whilst it is plugged in.

    I did this this morning.

    I’m now banned from making an extension lead (for the time being).

    Have a safe Christmas!

    Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

    I’m guessing it gave you an excuse to prove the mcb is working and a reaso. to go and buy a new cutting implement.

    Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

    If you do the above make sure you have a bucket of water nearby to put the sparks out.

    Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

    I’ve actually seen an extension lead that someone made with a PLUG at BOTH ends 😯

    Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

    Probably a good job we are on AC and not DC or you’d still be there.

    qwerty
    Member

    Worryingly the trip switch didn’t trip, I guess the plug fuse did. Fresh Stanley blade required.

    brodie
    Member

    Worryingly the trip switch didn’t trip, I guess the plug fuse did. Fresh UNDERPANTS required.

    Fixed it.

    slugwash
    Member

    Lucky there was a paramedic in the house Martin 😉

    markenduro
    Member

    You probably shorted the live and neutral out so the fuse went first. Earth trip would only go before the fuse if you shorted the live and earth out with the blade. Bet it woke you up.

    stuey
    Member

    Trip switches won’t always save a life: if you get a low resistance path across your heart even ’10mA’ could kill you – “so always keep one hand in your pocket” 😉

    Darwin award for death by PP3

    athgray
    Member

    I did something similar recently. Went to fit a new light fitting in my Son’s room. Firstly removed the bulb then went down stairs to turn off the trip switch in the fuse box.
    To check that I had flicked the correct switch I returned to my son’s room and turned on the light. As the light did not come on I assumed I had the correct circuit switched off. Started work on the fitting. Got a good jolt. What an idiot.

    Premier Icon aidanoggy
    Subscriber

    OP… good solid advice that 😀

    trail_rat
    Member

    Plug at both ends is cowboy generator connection to house rough as ****. – just make sure the main breakers shut down ffs

    My stupid Dad did that – plugs at both ends and I only noticed after being shocked – hurt like hell.

    globalti
    Member

    This was how I ruined my expensive Park Tools cable cutter. Sparkie left a loop of ring main sticking out for me to cut later and add a socket but he forgot to tell me that he’d used the ring for the downstairs sockets, so when I turned off the supply for the upstairs sockets the loop was still live….

    There was a loud bang and a flash and the spark eroded the cutting edge of the blade of my cable cutter. RIP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DO NOT…’ is closed to new replies.