Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do not unscrew TALAS top cap. Damn!
  • Mugboo

2005 fork, stanchions are well worn anyway but I wish I’d read the instructions…

So my Talas internals are now depressurised and in two halves. Is it possible to DIY em back together or or are they bin bound?

b45her
    Free Member

the bin is the best place for any talas spring working or broken, get a float spring in there.

sodadr
    Free Member

b45her – Member

the bin is the best place for any talas spring working or broken, get a float spring in there.

Ah, more regurgitated internet bollox from a poster on STW.

Mugboo, I’m afraid I can’t help with your enquiry, but at 9 years old that’s a decent life for a fork if it’s been used a fair bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep used Talas a lot and while it’s not perfect it’s better than the haterz give it credit for.

There are some fairly comprehensive instruction on the Fox site which may help. However if the Stanchions are too far gone it may be a losing battle as a full rebuild might be the best thing (new seals, bushes etc.)

Have a look for any spares or repairs out there.

sodadr
    Free Member

I’ll add that the last three or so years of Talas with the FIT damper are a great improvement over earlier models. The sweet spot is admittedly not that easy to find on the RC2 models, but after a bit of experimentation it’s just as good as the better Float models, and much better than the basic Float RLC that comes on a lot of bikes.

LoCo
    Free Member

When you say in two bits, is this the upper and lower assembly from the stantion leg, or gthe upper assembly broken in two bits?

Should go back together fine, probably best to put fresh seals on, but you’ll need a Talas charging tool to do this.
    Any queries feel free to drop us a mail/call.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I managed to repressureise the chamber using a football needle on a compressors.
    I have to say it was a botch but it got the fork back into use but i dumped it for a float piston as soon as I could.

cp

a football needle on a shock pump also works fine.

Mugboo

Loco, it’s the two parts from the leg, went with quite a bang! Thing is, they held air but now they are apart the wear looks bad. As has been said, they’ve given good service but I was hoping to resurrect them for a bike for my niece.

Are they held together by more than that tiny o ring? Where do I poke the needle and what pressure? They’re not worth spending on but it seems worth a try if it’s possible to bodge them back together 🙂

I don’t need the Talas to work, if it will stay at 130. And if all else fails I’ve got some Pikes I can use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do not unscrew TALAS top cap. Damn!’ is closed to new replies.