Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Call your Dad tonight just to say "hi"…
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Speak to my parents almost daily on the other side of the world.

Father is a stubborn person who like watching ladyboys while in Thailand 🙄 … so I announced loudly to the entire family for a good laugh. Mum wasn’t impressed so labelled him dirty old man.

No big deal as I don’t care whether he knew they were ladyboys or not as he is 83.

binners

My dad is the most northern bloke on the entire planet. If I phoned him, out of the blue, without it being a question about bleeding central heating system, or a rant about what on earth Alonso is still doing at Ferrari, he’d assume This was me coming out of the closet, and that my next statement would be about my favourite musical!

However, we see each other a lot, as we like discussing Alonso, and radiators, but not our favourite musicals, over a few pints, or a mountain of red wine and cheese! He ‘a a top bloke is my dad! Which makes it easier to face up to the fact that i seem to be morphing into him!

andyl
    Free Member

I’m glad some people took this as intended.

Mine was 60 recently and it starts to make you realise one day you won’t be able to pick up the phone. Plenty of life in the old dog yet though and he’s enjoying it with his girlfriend!

tenfoot

My old man was an old misery in his later years, but we did have a lot of shared interests. Wish I could pick up the phone one more time and speak to him.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I wish I could but he died when I was nine and I have been subconsciously looking for a replacement ever since

Drac

Nearly lost my Dad about 5 years ago now took acutely ill with heart problems and ended up having 21 cardiac arrests. He’s doing Ok but his lifestyle is massively effected, I speak to him when I can but not as much as I suppose I possibly could. However, the night we said goodbye to him for what was expected to be the last time I had no regrets of not calling or seeing them both more. Life isn’t about what ifs and maybes you can’t do that to yourselves you live life as it is, what ever is going to happen will happen if you spoke to them or not. I spend a lot of my days listening to people saying “I wish I’d called yesterday” or along those lines it’s not about that it’s about the good times you had.

Lost my father in law coming up 9 years now he took his wife, my wife our daughter and my sister in law for the train to Edinburgh then walked the dogs along the beach where he collapsed and died. They went through the natural thing of what if, we shouldn’t have gone; I had to ring them about 2 hours after they’d seen him to break the bad news and get them on the next train home; I did the same with them. Explained they’re is no maybes they remember how happy he was when they said goodbye that morning, he was walking his dogs and was loving his morning.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just spoken to Mr & Mrs Biggles, they popped to Meadowhell to escape from the house for a few hours – not bad at 90 & 87
    It’s only having teenagers that I now really recognise and appreciate all that they both did for me, I’m very lucky to have had brilliant parents and to have the chance to thank them whenever I can.

EDIT – ages wrong way around, if Mum ever found out she’d kill me!!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I wish I could ring him.
    He died 11 years ago.
    Sadly, I’ve realised I think I’ve forgotten what he sounded like… 😥

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just had a good chat with the old guy. 🙂

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Had my folks round for dinner this evening.

My Dad is a funny old belligerent bugger these days, but he’s always been therefore me.

Unfortunately I have a very very poorly oldest son. Friends quite often say to me that they don’t know how I cope etc etc. my answer is always the same, if it had been me that was disabled I am 100% sure my dad would have been there for me. I’m just following his truly fantastic example. When the day come that I loose him I will be devastated.

I very much realise how lucky I’ve been.

My wife’s dad is a grade 1 p***k

Caher

Try to call them wherever i am most nights – both now in their 80’s.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve still got a voicemail left by my dad the day before he died asking ” why in nobody picking up their bloody phones?”. Technophobe until his last day then uses his mobile for, probably, only the 3rd time ever.
    Retired at 65, bought a camper van, diagnosed with cancer and dies after 18 months. Life’s a bitch sometimes. Enjoy your dads whilst you can..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Do I have to, he (they) couldn’t even make time to give their 20month old grandson his Christmas presents

jamj1974

Used to speak to my dad nearly every day – still feels strange not to call him at about 6pm…

I was pretty lucky, he had his faults but was a good dad.

Drac

Sadly, I’ve realised I think I’ve forgotten what he sounded like..

You remember him and all the great times you had, that’s what counts.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

went on a road ride with mine this evening

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Sadly, I’ve realised I think I’ve forgotten what he sounded like..

You remember him and all the great times you had, that’s what counts.

You can remember him but not attach (emotionally) to him is all that counts.

miketually – Member

Why is Jenson Button’s dad’s death news?

Yes, why?

I don’t even know his father’s name until now.

😯

haroldfinch
    Free Member

On a slightly different/related note I watched About Time the other night that covers time travel and the guys dad.

It had an good message about living each day with a postive spin and spending time with people you love.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Why is Jenson Button’s dad’s death news?
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO #

I’m actually more saddened about this, than I would be for any ‘normal’ celebrity death. I don’t know who he is for any other reason than, I’ve seen him on the tv, fiercely proud of his son and wearing the same shirt because it made Jenson win races. That there is a proper dad. Rip Mr Button.

totalshell

blimy makes me apprciate how lucky i am to have both my parents and both in good health..
    picking up a new shotgun for him next monday..

globalti
    Free Member

went on a road ride with mine this evening

Well there’s a thought…… I’m well and fit enough at 57 that my son aged 15 (we started late) can come for rides and do stuff with me. Went out and rode around Settle and Malham with him on Sunday, in fact. Poor lad had forgotten to tighten the bolts on his new cleats so he couldn’t unclip and got stuck on his bike and had to lean against a wall and take his feet out of his shoes….. then his chain snapped on the first climb and he fell painfully on his hip…. then his foot slipped on gravel and he toppled over….. last year he nutted a tree and knocked himself unconscious and in January landed badly while skiing and compressed a vertebra….. accident prone, is my son.

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’ve been working abroad more than I’ve been home these past few months. I don’t see him or talk to him as much as I should, gave him a call and had a very good catch up chat and we’re off fishing together when I get back.

Many thanks to the OP for this post.

oldgit
    Free Member

40 years too late 😥

richmars

I too was very sad to see about the death of John Button. He always seemed a good bloke, and immensely proud of his son (and why not).
    I just hope I can be as proud of my son, for whatever reason, as John was of Jenson.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Call your Dad tonight just to say "hi"…’ is closed to new replies.