Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Do I want to work in Saudi Arabia?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Work might have a two week job in Saudi. It would be a normal business trip, hotels and all, and returning home at the weekend.

Not sure I’m entirely comfortable with going there though. Place makes me uncomfortable. Would you?

jimjam
    Free Member

Nope.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No. Just no.

jam-bo

does it set a precedent that you are someone who will…

edit. probably would. if the price was right and no chance of mission creep…

globalti
    Free Member

As long as it was definitely only two weeks and the money was good, why not? Beyond two weeks your fitness begins to suffer.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I struggle with the UAE.

An ex-pat colleague who loves the UAE won’t do any business in Saudi.

Says quite a lot.

jimjam
    Free Member

globalti – Member

As long as it was definitely only two weeks and the money was good, why not?

Principals? Morals? If the money was right would you go to work in North Korea? Do a bit of consultancy for ISIS?

binners

Not a chance! But I hear Syria is nice at this time of year Molls

molgrips
    Free Member

does it set a precedent that you are someone who will

I’m a consultant, so just fulfilling the contract our company would sign so won’t be any different. However they will be cool if I say no.

The client is a global company rather than a Saudi one, but I’d still be contributing to their economy.

Definitely siding with no even before I re-opened this thread.

Garry_Lager

2 weeks I’d definitely go, just to see the place as a one-off. Have you been before, though? Or do you mean the thought of going makes you uncomfortable.

jam-bo

if you aren’t making any extra on it, then **** no.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not sure. The only good thing about working in Saudi is the money you can make. If it is a normal 2 week trip then you don’t get the tax advantage. Is the working away in Saudi rate more than working away in France? If not than definitely no. If yes then a maybe for me.

geologist
    Free Member

I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East. The UAE yes, Saudi is a hell hole and I wouldn’t go back there for all the money in the world!

molgrips
    Free Member

Or do you mean the thought of going makes you uncomfortable.

That. The thought of contributing to such a ‘dodgy’ place.

allthegear
    Free Member

They’d lock me up (or worse) just for existing. That’s someone you know – could be killed – just for existing. Sure you want to go??

Rachel

benp1

I would definitely go. It’s only 2 weeks for work, you’re not moving there!

jimjam
    Free Member

allthegear

They’d lock me up (or worse) just for existing.

No, they’d concoct a reason to publicly murder you.

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, get on with it. It’s your job.

Lot’s of places we end up going in this Country are shitty, it’s not reserved just for Saudi.

allthegear
    Free Member

Jimjam – maybe the being trans thing? Or possibly my *very* comfortable shoes???

perchypanther
    Free Member

More to the point, if they discover the picture of you in your skin tight Captain America onesie, they’ll probably lock you up and kill you to death.

I wouldn’t go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The thought of contributing to such a ‘dodgy’ place.

Bought anything made in China recently?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Or possibly my *very* comfortable shoes???

This isn’t a reason for other cultures to murder you.

Flashy’s been all over the world.

km79
    Free Member

Would you?

Nope, wouldn’t go near the place for any reason.

Trimix
    Free Member

Depends on the money and what I would have to do – but Id not take a phone/laptop/books/magazines etc.

I lived there for 5 years a long time ago, from what I hear its more of a risk now.

Stoner
    Free Member

Went to Damam for a three day work trip a few years ago. Worst place I’ve ever been. Never going to Saudi Arabia again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

been … wont be back …

and i now work in West Africa…..

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you work for a company that already works for/in RSA aren’t your morals already compromised?

jonba
    Free Member

Ethically you can make your own mind up. I went.

In terms of practicalities it is only two weeks which is nothing really. I was there about this time last year for 10 days. It was all standard and fairly boring work stuff. Didn’t see much beyond the hotel and factory as I was massively busy and didn’t want to drag out the trip.

Once you are in it is fine, getting in and out is tedious (immigration/security) so I wouldn’t come home on the weekend for a 2 week trip. I’d probably suggest spending the weekend in Bahrain as you can get a bus/driver to take you over and it is slightly less painful to cross the border (and they are more liberal)

The visa application takes a while, make sure your company pays to have it done properly through an agent. Don’t put your religion down as atheist but otherwise it doesn’t matter much. Be prepared for a long wait when you get off the plane and go to imigration. I got through in 20 minutes but the company record stands at 4 hours. Equally manic on the way out if you are daft enough to book a flight on Thursday evening.

Its hot, really hot, try to avoid summer.

Check the FO website, don’t break any laws, they don’t like that!

wl
    Free Member

If you do decide to go for it, you could always give a portion of that project’s earnings to a human rights charity. Not the same as saying no, but a compromise, and arguably better than someone else doing the work and not giving a sh*t. Years back, as a struggling new freelancer, I did something similar.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The visa application takes a while, make sure your company pays to have it done properly through an agent. Don’t put your religion down as atheist but otherwise it doesn’t matter much. Be prepared for a long wait when you get off the plane and go to imigration. I got through in 20 minutes but the company record stands at 4 hours. Equally manic on the way out if you are daft enough to book a flight on Thursday evening.

this 1 thousand times.

i was met off the plane by a company rep and taken through immigration rushed like. i felt sorry for those joining the queue. They were in for the long haul. probably still in the queue when i left 3 days later.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I used to do audits on some interesting projects where I had to sign the official secrets act, as well as mil I have done oil, tobacco, and lots of middle east/us stuff as a result of ww3 gulf war 2.
    Now when I started out I used to struggle with the ethics of it, but most people other than doctors and monks/nuns can have the results of their work picked apart for ethics. Farmers, Lawyers, Bankers, cops, traffic wardens, teachers, executioners, politicians, telecoms engineers, recording artists and feminist writers to name but a few have been destroyed by the moral police in the recent past.
    Meanwhile someone else will do it and you will miss out on the dosh/experience.
    NSFW sounds
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruhFmBrl4GM[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

If you work for a company that already works for/in RSA aren’t your morals already compromised?

Interesting point. We have clients in most countries. And yes, someone else will go, and their profit will help pay my wages.

Don’t put your religion down as atheist

Ok, **** that. Said no about 20 minutes ago and glad I did. Any country that cares what religion I may or may not be can do one.

binners

You could make yourself useful while you were out there and start a revolution. They love that shit out there! You’d be hailed as a hero, and in no way would it lead to a sudden reduction of height with a sharp object.

You might as well. They’ll probably killl you anyway, just for your impure and depraved thoughts, you sicko!

gonefishin
    Free Member

The thought of contributing to such a ‘dodgy’ place.

Bought anything made in China recently?

…driven a car, bought anything made of plastic, hell even buying food.

We all contribute to that dodgy place and plenty more places just like it. For two weeks I’d not have batted an eyelid.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ok, **** that. Said no about 20 minutes ago and glad I did. Any country that cares what religion I may or may not be can do one.

A an ex-colleague left the company we both worked for at the time to go and work directly for Saudi Aramco (with whom the company did a lot of business, but i was not personally involved). Shortly before he left I asked if he was all packed and he said he was, apart from his books, but that there was no point in taking them.

I asked him why and he simply replied ‘because of censorship’.

We take our freedoms for granted sometimes but this makes you think just how much we do take for granted.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair, if the authorities saw that pic of Molly in his Captain America onesie, they might not even let him in the country.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @ Perchy

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If I had the luxury of choice then I wouldn’t go but If i was dependent on my job and my job was dependent on the trip then I most likely would.

footflaps

Not a chance! But I hear Syria is nice at this time of year Molls

Damascus was a lovely city before it all kicked off, really enjoyed working there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have been frequently including times when security situation has been quite dicey. Two weeks will be a stretch ! What does the wife think ? Riyadh I assume. Also its your normal job right so you are not getting paid extra ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Do I want to work in Saudi Arabia?’ is closed to new replies.