Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Do I need to man up? (solo night riding)
  • ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sweden. We get semi regular sightings all over this bit of the country. I’ve seen one in 15 years.

The elk worry me more. I see them fairly regularly out walking.

benp1

Pah – I saw a MOUSE run across the trail in the rain yesterday

Yes, a MOUSE

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m in Thailand. I’ve bunny hopped a cobra before. Really though, the wildlife isn’t of the man-hunting sort. It’ll get out of your way and if you ride over at speed it is unlikely to bite or sting you. If you’re going slowly you can avoid it.

My wife knows my regular loop and the fact it’s only 90 mins means if I’m more than a couple of hours she’ll or I’ll call.

I find the trick us to stop.

Easy to say when you aren’t being hunted by whatever the hell is in the bushes!

you actually rode home! how old are you?

32 and not embarrassed to admit it. In vague defence of my masculinity, straight up and back down is a great route and one I sometimes detour to on the way home from work.

Sounds like I should give it another go. I do enjoy moonlit solitude.

MSP

I’m in Thailand.

Shame, you will never experience the joy of wearing a helmet light in a night time snowstorm and pretending you are the millennium falcon.

funkmasterp

Stick to the roads, stay off the moors.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t often use the phrase man-up, but in this case I think it’s justified.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did a couple of ribs, but had to crawl home afterwards – 10pm on a Sunday night in early April, no phone reception – likelihood of anyone coming along until morning = slim.

That’s what spot trackers are for.

johnx2
    Free Member

Usually do it with a group but sometimes not. Stopped at an old quarry on the moor once (there are a few, this was one that’s some distance from roads), shone my light into it for some reason. Picked out three large figures standing in the complete dark. They turned towards me. At this point I decided to resume my ride.

jonnym92

You will get used to it. Sometimes I feel like this but head down and focus on your riding and it’ll go.
    Seen some awesome nature scenes at dusk/night, half a dozen deer drinking from streams, owls catching things etc

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

MSP – I’ve had that riding on Dartmoor.

I grew up riding around Exeter and often surprised groups of Marines on night patrol / exercises.

I’m off out tomorrow again. Hopefully I get around and realise it’s worth it.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Think Salem’s Lot for that extra KOM.

MrPottatoHead

I remember riding behind my mate shortly after dusk one eve before lights got really good. I could just make out quite a few bats flying within a few inches of his head. Slightly unnerving to think they were probably around me too.

Night riding is great though. Nearly always spot badgers on one of my local trails – you just wouldn’t get that in the day.

rossburton
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then! I had that on a local cycle path (old train line, through a tightly wooded path) at night but even just one other person is enough to take the edge off. Just find a riding buddy.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I really enjoy solo night riding,it’s a good buzz.The eyes watching me illuminated by my lights deep in the darkness of the woods still get me though 😯

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I’ve bunny hopped a cobra before

Bejesus!

molgrips
    Free Member

Came very close to running over a snake in central Cardiff.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I to am a bit wary of night riding on my own. I always pack some emergency lube so, if worse comes to worse, i’ll still be able to ride home…

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about bivvying in the woods by yourself? Sleep with one eye open?

Keva
    Free Member

here’s a good tip if it’s possible. Start off late afternoon just before sunset when there’s still a bit of light. As it gradually gets dark flick the lights on and get used to it as you go along. Before you know it you’re riding in the dark light ablaze without a care.

samunkim
    Free Member

+1 Badgers

They seem to leave it until the last second before they bolt in front of you.

Nearly jump out of my skin everytime

mark90
    Free Member

I nearly shat myself when a pheasant flew out of the undergrowth right by me, and that was in broad daylight! Maybe I shouldn’t venture out at night 😯

scotroutes

I’ve been wild camping since I was knee high to a grasshopper so being outside in the dark just isn’t an issue. In fact, I’d say that some of my most enjoyable rides have been at, or through the, night.

Try running in the dark instead. Then you know you’ll never get away from “them”.

buckster
    Free Member

I’ve bunny hopped a cobra before.

The most gnarly thing Ive ever heard. I have a patch of wood that has zombies in it, there is also a crocodile that turns into a fallen log when you ride past it.

I once got a long bendy twig thing caught in my rear mech which sounded like something running along beside me, when I tried to out sprint it before it hacked me to death it just kept up, hellish scarey

Cougar

Try night-time scuba-diving instead… and learn how difficult it can be to convince yourself there isn’t a shark behind you.

I’m reminded of the Billy Connolly routine where he went snorkling and spotted a shark fin behind him. Set the water speed record desperately trying to out-swim his own flipper.

MrPottatoHead

Try night-time scuba-diving instead… and learn how difficult it can be to convince yourself there isn’t a shark behind you.

Not a chance. First open water triathlon last year in a lake. All I could picture was dead bodies floating up towards me from the murky depths. Nearly had a panic attack until I’d calmed my imagination down. If that was night time I would definitely be soiling my wetsuit.

LittleNose
    Free Member

TBH I don’t blame you for turning tail

Had a couple of rides up into Surrey Hills after dark, and generally spooked myself with imagination – the only reason I haven’t done that myself is because of the p1$$ taking that I’d get if someone saw it on my strava.

As for diving in the dark – not a chance… I spook myself in broad daylight swimming 100m from the beach in the med.

CountZero

I to am a bit wary of night riding on my own. I always pack some emergency lube so, if worse comes to worse, i’ll still be able to ride home…

😯
    Is that so you can sit down and peddle… 😉

matt_outandabout

It depends where you are

Sheffield seemed to be full of semi rural carparks full of oddballs, loving couples and weed smoking chavs.

Around Stirling you seem more likely to run into a queue of bike riding pals…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The vampires are probably more frightened of you than you are of them, probably.

scaredypants

have the forum rules changed ? used to be that the first and only reply was

takisawa2

As I tell my Beaver Scouts when we are on night manoeuvres, (5:15pm, usually the woods outside Scout Hut), the most dangerous thing out here…….is you.

scotroutes

Is that so you can sit down and peddle… [/quote]Peddle his arse, or pedal the bike?

Anyway, isn’t compulsory to watch Dog Soldiers before your first wild camp/bivvy?

Gary_C

mrwhyte
    Free Member

There is a bit on a night ride myself and my mate do where we switch off our lights and admire the darkness. I then stupidly said, “what would you do if we turned the lights on and there was a child standing in front of us”. I wish I hadn’t said it.

The worst is a solo ride where you can hear foxes screeching, that makes you pedal faster.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Gary-C Thats fantastic but that gives me flashbacks,because they are out there….. 😯

dee2hig
    Free Member

You should try riding a motorbike at night when you’re convinced there’s someone on the back seat all the time…..

garage-dweller

Another vote here for riding into the failing light. It lets your eyes, brain and bravery calibrate more gently.

I’d stay off the more adventurous stuff at night on my own and make sure I knew where the heck I was going.

I’ve only done a couple of solo nights so far but I can clearly pedal faster than the Zombie hordes (as nothings eaten my brains yet) and am therefore able to start enjoying them.

Really want to try bike packing this year but not really sure where to start. I have this fanciful idea about riding out into the hills mid week. Sleeping under the stars then cycling into work in the morning.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ive always wanted to put on a skull mask half way around our night loop at the pentlands, then pedal past my mate ..

think it would be a laugh…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I lived in the US for a couple of years 1997-99, and used to solo night ride in the Appalachian woods all the time.

So Blair Witch Project properly freaked me out!

kcal

@garage-dweller – sounds like a breakfast bivvi plan 🙂

Have managed a handful of those back when I had a commute!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to man up? (solo night riding)’ is closed to new replies.