Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Do I need to man up? (solo night riding)
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ive always wanted to put on a skull mask half way around our night loop at the pentlands, then pedal past my mate ..

Made me chortle. Do it!

On this:

garage-dweller

@kcal I think that’s the idea.

The weirdo in me kind of likes the idea of turning up to a nice office job having aort of slept in a hedge!

I think what I struggle with most is (1) having to explain it to Mrs g-d and (2) figuring out somewhere that’s secluded enough that’s 15-20 miles from the office for the camping spot that isn’t a farmers field, dogging or drugging spot.

piemonster

I absolutely love being out at night. I mainly run during the winter months and genuinely prefer it to daytime running.

onehundredthidiot

Usually ride with the hounds. Amazing how fast you ride when they’re freaked by something in the woods.

chiefgrooveguru

As long as I can ride downhill away from scary noises I’m ok with it – so there’s one local bit that I avoid on my own in the dark because the trail ends at the back of an industrial estate fence, with a steep climb the only way out.

I am the weirdo in the woods and not a soft target, that’s my mantra…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

MSP – Member

I’m in Thailand.

Shame, you will never experience the joy of wearing a helmet light in a night time snowstorm and pretending you are the millennium falcon.
    Not just me then. Used to love a long “hyperspace” ride.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

“there is also a crocodile that turns into a fallen log when you ride past it.”

Ha. We’ll see a (usually non-venomous) snake every 5-8 rides. They usually slither out of the way. We also know where they’re likely to be so do take some care.

The cobra was a cobra as we got a photo of it afterwards with its hood up. It’s funny how after you’ve seen a snake, every root, twig etc looks like a snake.

I think the riding before night and into it sounds like a good idea. It’s what we did for my one and only night dive (Advanced OW, I think). Dropped in 30 mins before the sun went down. with torches on. Before we realised it was pitch black. Actually, bioluminescence made it incredible. Funnily enough, it was Snake Island, Bohol, Philippines.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have this fanciful idea about riding out into the hills mid week. Sleeping under the stars then cycling into work in the morning.

Do it.

Expect to fall asleep at your desk though.

tomfun

Man up but you’re allowed to shat your pants a bit when changing a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere. At least I do.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Can’t stand a solo night ride.
    Far too many werewolves out there for my liking.

lesgrandepotato

I’m feeling we need a forum meet up here where we all dress as clowns in the OP’s woods. Probably best not to tell him tho

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

lesgrandepotato

🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

I ride in the FOD regularly if I’m on a day off in the middle of a run of night shifts. See a lot of wildlife then!!

The locals send to like being out walking dogs and other ‘stuff’ around 1am from what I can figure out 😯

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Don’t be afraid of noises in the dark, predators are mostly silent.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I once almost cacked myself on a night ride. Was riding up a farm track to the road. Just as I was about to move into the road one of those paper lanterns quietly floated across the entrance to the road at about head height. Was quite a big one 1m3 ish.

I literally screamed.

Other than lanterns. I love night rides. I like turning the lights off on the climbs and riding by moonlight.

CountZero

Peddle his arse, or pedal the bike?

😆
    Yeah, just reread that post and realised the inadvertent spelling error!

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to man up? (solo night riding)’ is closed to new replies.