Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Do I actually need a Boost crankset?
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

For a Boost Transmitter frame. Looking at XT M8000 but big difference in cost between boost and non boost. Its on a 73mm BSA, so can’t I simply use an additional 2.5mm spacer supplied with the BB to offset it and centre the chainline on the cassette instead?

scotroutes

Possibly not. I run non-boost cranks on a Boost axled Orbea. It’ll depend on chainring size and chainstay clearance. The chainline is pretty much irrelevant.

timnoyce
    Free Member

I’ve got a standard SLX 1x chainset on my Boost Sonder Cortex and it also seems to be fine with a 32T on it.

jabbi
    Free Member

Depends on the frame/crank combo. Non boost 32t Hope wouldn’t work on my old Fuel EX. Non boost 32t XTR fitted fine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You will be off setting your pedals by 2.5mm if you use another spacer. This may or may not be an issue from a biomechanical perspective.

I didn’t get enough time to work out if it was a real problem because I found there wasn’t enough axle for the non drive side crank pinch bolt to secure against, and it kept sliding off the end of the crank axle, screwing the splines in the process.

dc1988

I’m running non boost cranks on a boost frame, 32t oval ring, SLX cranks and no issues

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thanks all. Not really too worried about chainring clearance on a 30t but more converned a out shifting down to the 11t which should be further than usual and will bend the chain more than its supposed too.But then again I don’t use it much…
    Understood about spindle length limitations, I’ll probably give it a go on non boost. Wo de ring if I can cheat with ring bolt spacers though

argee

As scienceofficer states, you’ve got the worst configuration to do this, as you have one spacer drive side, so adding another means turning the 73mm axle into a 75.5mm axle length.

I run boost cranks on a non boost 73mm frame, it works for me because i take the drive side spacer and put it non drive side, but on a boost frame you can’t do the opposite unfortunately, i’d err on the side of caution and get boost, or risk having a fouling issue or chainring running close to the frame.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Find an old tripple that will take a 32t ring in the outer position, thats basicly what boost is.

stupot
    Free Member

I am running a non boost SLX crankset on my new nukeproof Scout. Works with a 32, but with a 30 the clearance is very small. The 30 tooth ring doesn’t sit flush against the cranks (maybe 4mm closer to the frame).

philjunior
    Free Member

Not just chainrings, the crank may foul the frame.

You might be OK, but you need to have a fair bit of free time to bother trying it.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m running a non-boost 30t XTR on my ‘boost’ stumpjumper frame, with no issues. Chainring has about 3mm clearance, so not leads, but enough.

oldnpastit

Non-boost on a boost Cotic FlareMax.

Chainring clearance is OK with a 30t, at 28t it would be rubbing the chainstay and at 32t would also be rubbing a different part of the chainstay.

A boost chainset would mean I wouldn’t have to rely on luck quite so much.

Because I also have a non-boost rear wheel, the chainline is actually pretty good.

nedrapier

I’ve got a Signal, non boost XT double chainset (M785?). 32T ring in outer position with 2mm chainring spacers pushing in inboard. I was going to remove the spacers, but the chainline goes straight to the 4th smallest sprocket on the 10speed cassette as it is, so I’ve left it. The chainset has to go back on the wife’s bike at some point, so less messing the better!

VanHalen

non boost crank on a boost dartmoor frame here. ( i never realised there were boost cranks! )

I cant run a triple XT crank and run the outside ring location as the chainline is frigging awful (chainring waaay too offset).

I had to buy a sram non boost chainset and sram 6mm offset sram chain ring.

The whole boost thing is pretty pointless and quite a bit shit. sram kit sucks too unfortunately.

teethgrinder

HB160. Superstar accidentally sent a non-Boost chainring for the Hope cranks. no way it would fit without taking the chain device off. That 3mm was fairly crucial.

endomick
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I’m running 34t non boost on a boost 2018 Mega. Frame manufacturers usually leave more than 3mm clearance so it should work but you can’t go more outboard on XT M8000 without using the terrible method of an extra bb spacer, 1mm spacer might be okay but not 2.5mm, with boost however you have the option of using chainring spacers to fine tune chainline. A non boost double is practically the same chainline as a boost single and a trick I’ve also used.

breadcrumb

I’ve a boost frame with a none boost 2x XT chainset set up as a 1x- chainline looks bob on.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

non-boost ring is a better chainline than a boost ring, as long as the ring clears the chainstay, and doesn’t mess with the chainguide, should you have one.

thekettle
    Free Member

Non-Boost RF Cinch chainset on a Boost Transmitter here. Have run 30 and 28t chainrings no problem with a taco bash guard (but no upper chain guide).

colournoise

Boost Transmitter frame here. Non boost crankset (some old Race face thing I had kicking about) and standard 32t oval chainring. Doesn’t foul the chainstays (doesn’t even look close) and gears run fine…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do I actually need a Boost crankset?’ is closed to new replies.