Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do conti’s still split at the bead ?
  • rone

Used to love the Race King Protection for just about every reason … Other than they always seem to fail on the bead at around 800-1000 miles.

Gave up on them a few years ago.

Have things improved?

arogers
    Free Member

In a word, no. I would’ve loved to get 800miles out of them! I had 3 of their DH (or whatever they call it) casing tyres explode after less than 150km. Average was probably less than 100km. All replaced under warranty and hastily sold on. It baffles me that the Athertons can run them successfully. Amazing grip mind you..

rone

Ah okay. I’m in the xc universe so much less aggressive but that doesn’t fill me with confidence!

cynic-al
    Free Member

That rim/tyre graphic is one of the biggest pieces of horseshit I’ve ever seen.

arogers
    Free Member

I run 30mm+ internal width rims. Didn’t seem to help the Conti’s…

philjunior
    Free Member

Not had any conti MTB tyres for a while, I use the other brand that’s famed for tearing if you look at it wrong (Schwalbe) without too much trouble.

Road tyres I have have been solid though from that point of view, I have had older conti road tyres that split at the bead – more than one tyre actually and the lbs had the same issue (to be fair running them on tandems).

Not sure if it’s relevant to the MTB tyres, but the road black chilli compound does seem to be quite prone to cutting up compared to other road tyres.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do conti’s still split at the bead ?’ is closed to new replies.