Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DMR Vault Bushing creep issue
  • BillOddie

Has anyone else had issues with DMR Vault bushings creeping out of the pedal body?

Checking the bike over pre weekend rides, the driveside pedal on my (5 week old!) DMR vaults feels a bit stiff, and lo and behold the pedal bushing has creeped out of the pedal body for the second time.

Yep - that's suboptimal

I assumed the first time that it wasn’t pressed in properly, so i popped the axle out, pushed the bushing in with a socket and rebuilt with fresh grease. However, it seems that it’s creeping out.

Having taken the axle out again….hmmm that doesn’t look great.

Give it a clean…

There is definitely some scoring on that axle.

Did I mention that these pedals are 5 weeks old so have been ridden a maximum of 15 times?

Anyone else had this?

I feel an email to wiggle and DMR coming on…

davros

V12 bushings were crap too. I’d send them back and get something else.

goby

Yep know this issue far to well! Used a bit of bearing lock or loctite, great pedals but bushes and sealing are there Achilles heel.

goby

Oh and also fit an after market v rings seal as better than the original

muggomagic

Yep had that with my last set of vaults that were also about a month old, they also developed the rattle (pretty much every set of vaults I’ve had have done this but not as quick). I emailed DMR complaining that a £90 set of pedals shouldn’t have these issues after a month, their reply was “that’s a wear and tear item, here’s a link to the service kit you’ll need”. I fixed the issue by taking them off and fitting a set of Nukeproof horizons and they’ve been brilliant. Just as supportive, better grip and they’ve been on over a year with lots of miles and taken plenty of abuse and I’ve had absolutely no issues at all with the bearings.

goby

Sounds a familiar story I have heard too lol

sharkattack

Hang on, you’ve ridden 15 times in 5 weeks? How did you manage that?

No wonder my kit lasts forever. Vaults included.

zerocool

Buy some Burgtec Penthouse Flats.

jimmy748

I’ve done 20 rides in the last 5 weeks, no commutes and no days off work.

Approximately 50% off these on some 9 year old Vaults.

argee

Yeah, DMR Vaults aren’t very good unfortunately, found that out after buying them, have had to do a full service and also replace an axle, as those tiny little nuts that go on end stripped the axle when this bushing creep happened. After seeing that my confidence in these pedals is a bit less as well, basically the pedal body is held on by rust after a few rides i think!

BillOddie

After work Wednesday, either Friday evening or Saturday morning then Sunday.

asbrooks

My Vaults of 3 years are on their last legs. Should have overhauled them a year ago and now looking to change the out. I like the size of the platform and find them supportive but trying something new is a bit of a lotery but would like something with better bearings.

chiefgrooveguru

I wonder if Vaults’ innards aren’t made to tight enough tolerances? I’ve got three pairs, all done thousands of miles, the oldest set (2011?) have had one or two bearings and an axle change, the middle set (2014) have been greased a few times, the newest set (2019) greased once. I think that’s pretty good. Obviously back in 2011 (and for quite a long time after) there was basically zero competition when it came to really great feeling flats.

gkeeffe

Gave up on mine. Loved the grip. Bushings and axles lasted one month. Like someone said terrible tolerances.

ajt123
    Free Member

I’ve recently done a bushing and bearing change in mine.

First time in over 5 years.

I don’t think that is too bad. I’m not a heavy mileage user, but this is on a hardtail.

I’d be utterly incensed if they’d worn out as the OP had experienced, mind.

The bigger pisstake is that they are often on for over 100 quid, for what is essentially a machined block of aluminium.

daver27
    Free Member

Don’t pedals have always been rubbish for the money. I remember a set of V12s lasting 1 day before the bearing had so much play they were not useable.

The comment above about burgtecs isn’t a fix all either. Got a lovely looking set here. No play, but the sealing is dire and I’ve had to replace all the bearings, bushes and axles within 12 months.

I despise bushes in pedals and will do anything to avoid them if I can

zezaskar
    Free Member

It frustrates me that flat pedals seem to have a problem in getting the internals right.I love my Nukeproof Horizons, the platform is nearly perfect and the bushing+bearings actually are quite reasonable, but the seal is a joke. It is not held against the pedal on the axle, it sort of slides there and takes nothing but a bit of dirt to move around. Its so ridiculous. Its actually astonishing how long the internals last considering that the seal has a >1mm gap most of the time. It makes me wonder that if they had a real working seal they wouldn’t last pretty much forever.

I have a set of Shimano Saint M828 pedals lying around that a relative who couldn’t settle with flats sent me. If I like them I can keep them for free, but not been bothered yet to do so. They look good tho, very wide, same concavity as the Nukeproofs (18mm outside, 16mm center) and the pins are really tall, almost 6mm. I might try them this week

colp

I wonder if Vaults’ innards aren’t made to tight enough tolerances?

I recently measured a new Vault axle with a micrometer and it was exactly 12.00mm so they are bang on. Don’t know about inside the platform though.

goby

Ah for those interested these where the v ring seals I ordered.

https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/v12a_v-ring_seal.html

chiefgrooveguru

“ I recently measured a new Vault axle with a micrometer and it was exactly 12.00mm so they are bang on. Don’t know about inside the platform though.”

I was meaning in terms of consistency – so loose tolerances could mean that some Vaults are very reliable (because good luck makes them close to ideal dimensions) whilst others are unreliable (because bad luck makes them a loose fit internally).

endomick
    Free Member

The build quality of Unite pedals is much better than DMR imo, quite stiff when new due to 2 bushes instead of one, I also have oneup alloy pedals, recently pulled the oneup’s apart to service and needn’t have bothered, the grease was as good as new inside, really well sealed.

ogri
    Free Member

goby,thanks for the link.Just serviced mine and noticed one seal didn’t appear to fit as snug as ‘tother.Just the job mate.

dissonance

Has anyone else had issues with DMR Vault bushings creeping out of the pedal body?

I have vaults on three bikes ranging between 6 and 4k. The 4k bike has them creeping out but so far I have just ignored them without concern. Other two are fine without much maintence.

I think I will replace the creeping pair with something else since I have been stuck in the DRM rut since I first brought a pair of v12s not long after they got released.

colp

You could try replacing the bushings with better ones

IGUS W300 bushings

dmw536
    Free Member

mine have been the same, got them for a gravel bike and only used since March, very minimal mileage, pretty surprised. My v12 mags were shite too. Shame as they feel nice underfoot and the OG V8s from back in the day were the best.

sam_underhill

So, what pedal that’s like a vault, but better able to hold onto it’s bushings? I’m thinking unit or burgtec at the mo.

dmw536
    Free Member

my Hope F20s have been fantastic. Really easy to swap bearings (with the right tool) and genuinely have lasted thousands of hard miles for multiple years now.

jamesoz

I’ve got an old pair of Nanos that used to do that. Swapping the split type DU bush to an IGUS bush seemed to solve it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DMR Vault Bushing creep issue’ is closed to new replies.