• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • DIYTrackworld – Pergola Awnings -retractable
  • Sui
    Free Member

Afternoon all DIY enthusiasts.

Im lucky enough to have a big ole expanse of glass at the back of the house, but clearly Summer is bummer with the heat it generates, so i need a way to keep the sun off. I had always thought about having something out the back, and as i’ll hopefulyl be doing my patio in the next few (loose term) months, i’ve got the opportunity to put in place something to help with my sun issue.

Google is great at throwing up all the uber expensive stuff like you see in Europe at expensive resteraunts, and i’d like to do something like this, but not at Chelsea footballer rates.

So, it needs to be between 8-10m wide with a 4m reach (i’ve not actualyl decided how far the patio will come out, but that feels enough). Ideally motorised.

My initial plan was to set up a frame work, normal pergola style, and run some taught cables down and have 3 separate canvas sails running on them connected to some kind of winch, maybe on a light sensor. Do DIY kits exist, has anyone done something this daft before?

If i did go full DIY – how deep do you think i’d need to bury a post for strenght, or have a full frame to take the loads?

thanks as ever.
    sui

edit to say – not able to put a wall mounted “extending arm” type on, as it’s a timber frame above block and it would likely rip the block work apart.

fossy

Ah, timber framed wall. Weve got a 3.5 x 2.5 wind out awning – it’s great and was £250ish (self fitted).

Sui
    Free Member

ive just done another search on here and see this has come up before, so looking through – it;s the size that’s the issue though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘DIYTrackworld – Pergola Awnings -retractable’ is closed to new replies.