Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • DIY Shower enclosure – how many times will I die?
  • submarined
    Free Member

Buoyed on by threads like this, a distorted view of our own aptitude, and shortage of cash, my wife and I (and 9 year old) are about to embark on turning the 9 year old’s bedroom into a bathroom (don’t worry, there’s another room for him.)

Fly in the ointment at the moment is the shower enclosure – there’s a handy alcove 760mm wide by roughly 320mm deep. Perfect to pop a 700mm tray in. However, stopping the rest of the room getting drenched is then the issue.

I’ve made a few enquiries about custom shower screens for the L shape we’d need, and they’re £700-800. Being a perennial tightass, I figure these are just kits of glass and fittings, right?
    Bit of Googling, and places like this: http://www.tableglassonline.co.uk/table-glass-calculator-price/ can provide the (toughened, 8mm or 10mm) glass we need for about £250, with holes drilled to our spec.
    Two wall brackets can be had for under 50 quid
    Two hinges are circa 80 quid
    Magnetic shower seal is about 35.

That’s £425. What am I missing? Is this a really daft idea?

kimbers

Having just got a much simpler screen installed by a plumber, I’d say the hardest part was helping him lift the screen in to place – had to line it up with the mount he’d fitted to the wall, but its weight and size made it tricky (and stressful) to get into place.
    It was secured with an extendable bracket that fitted onto the wall.

So from my limited experience I’d say make sure you’ve got help!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you’ve got a 760mm alcove, why not fit a 760mm shower tray and screen as it’s a std. size? Infact, I’ve just checked and heat&plumb.com have 34 different 700mm wide pivot doors as well…

A lot of plumbers and DIY enthusiasts seem to have enough trouble fitting proper shower screens that are water tight, so for
    me, it’s a hard no.

EDIT – I’ve just reread your post and now understand a bit better what you’re trying to achieve. I’d just build out the 300mm bit to make the wall the correct depth and then a simple pivot door would do.

Sandwich

Budget for the hire of glass vacuum lifters to make things a bit easier. Make sure you have your Weetabix that morning as you’ll be doing the lifting.

olly2097
    Free Member

Get a hand. I dropped our new bath. I could have cried. Costly mistake.

ads678

What blazin-saddles said. Build a stud wall to make it a nice square enclosure and fit a screen across the opening

Fitting the screen will be easy, and it’ll be waaaaay cheaper. Even if you have to get a plasterer in after you put the stud work up.

duncancallum

I’d be building a stud wall.

submarined
    Free Member

Noted about the weight, thanks people. I’ve got a few neighbors who owe me favours!

Regarding the size -yeah, I’ve Seen the 760 ones, but I figure I’ve the enclosure is tiled it’ll be better to go smaller, surely

I totally get what you’re saying, but let’s just say the jury is split on the stud idea, and I totally get why. It’s a small room with quite a low ceiling, and we want to make it feel as airy as possible. A stud, even a 350ish one, will have a big effect on that.

ads678

In that case, you could do what I did and take the wall out!

I merged our separate toilet and bathroom and was going to use the old toilet room as a shower. In the end I ended up taking the joining wall down as it was easier than trimming a bit out. Was going to build it back as stud, but once I took it out, it was so much nicer and airyer. I then used a corner shower screen with doors that open on the corner.

Not mine, but same as this.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve Seen the 760 ones, but I figure I’ve the enclosure is tiled it’ll be better to go smaller, surely

I’d fit the bigger tray then tile down to it. Gives you more chance of any stray water ending up in the tray. In fact I wouldn’t tile at all. Fit shower wall panels. Much easier to DIY, easier to keep clean, less chance of any leaks, easy to remove when the next overhaul is due.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I had this situation. I built a stud wall, and rather than a door I fixed a strip of 100mm wide toughened glass down each side with a shower curtain behind them. I also used a tray with a lip on 4 sides and tiled down past the lip, so that I wasn’t relying on sealant to the tray, but that meant I also had to build a 200mm high wall across the front – but there is no splashing onto the floor and it’s all still sound 20 years later.

martinhutch

Your choice of shower head will affect how much splash you get.
    But yes, build out a tiny stud wall, and fit the biggest tray you can

poolman
    Free Member

I had a fixed shower screen built bespoke, with chrome surround. Even fitted it was far cheaper than any kit. Extra thick glass and fitting screws hidden in metal surround. Well impressed I d deffo do it again.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you’ve got a 760 opening, don’t fit a 700 tray. The tray is supposed to go to walls before tiling, then get sealed and walls tanked, then tiled. A 760 shower door will have a range of adjustment to fit inside tiling and allow for out of plumb walls.

submarined
    Free Member

All noted, thanks. Could I get away with a ‘partial’ stud, whereby the stud doesn’t run all the way to the ceiling? I think this wouldn’t have the same ‘closing in ‘ effect as a full stud. Basically just over the height of the shower door, and then fit the biggest tray i can?

Thanks all!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Partial stud no problem at all as shower doors don’t go to the ceiling anyway.

mogrim

Last place I lived in we had a walk in shower, side wall was bottom half tiled / top half glass brick. Less claustrophobic.

Edit: it didn’t go to the ceiling, either.

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

@Nickjb – what’s your preferred shower panel system/brand?

nickjb
    Free Member

Something solid, not the extruded plastic. I think the last ones I used were Splashwall. Easy to cut and fit. Been in for 5 years now. Zero maintenance, still like new. I’m never fitting tiles again.

turboferret

How about a compromise between a stud wall and glass – build you wall out of glass blocks.  Best or worst of both worlds?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Just done similar (partial stud wall). I also changed from a central light to 5 spots – with one above the shower enclosure. I was nervous that it might make the room / shower feel dark or small – but it really doesn’t. Shower feels bright and very solid.

I beefed out the stud wall slightly to build an alcove into it. Actually built alcoves showing from each side – one in the shower for storage, one into bathroom as a feature with a plant. But as you will have 320 wall / 440 stud it might not work (aesthetically).

EDIT – ^ like the glass blocks idea too…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.